Boating the Delaware. - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Delaware River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Delaware River A Forum for The Delaware River guys.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:57 PM
Official Member

Default Boating the Delaware.

New to the site here but was planning on taking a few cracks at the striper action this spring on the Delaware. Usually a smallmouth guy on the Susquehanna, but have caught a few stripers down there in the past and know how much fun it can be. Wanted to get thoughts from others if my rig will be enough for the water. I'm interested in fishing North of Neshaminy.... I have launched from there a few times before with a bass boat to fish tournaments but never went North much. I run a Lowe 1865 tunnel jet 115/80 hp merc. Curious what the water is like there in say 10-12 mph winds. It runs pretty good in some chop but too rough is no good. Thoughts? Do you see other jet rigs I that area in the spring? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2014, 11:02 PM
Official Member

Default Re: Boating the Delaware.

Here is a pic....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	17665  
Old 02-09-2014, 09:47 AM
Dumb luck fisherman

First off, welcome to the site. It's been a couple of weeks and since nobody's replied, I'll chime in on my neck of the woods in case you head own this way early. I launch under the commadore Barry bridge usually and stay within 5 miles north and south.
10 mph winds might be the limit around here. It gets really uncomfortable really fast out there sometimes. The banks aren't usually too big a deal, it's crossing the river when the tide is changing that'll get ya.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2014, 09:19 PM
Muuuu...Cow Chaser.

U prob don't want to hear my reply but you are good to go in that. I have a 12' 2hp that I fished the last 6-7 years in in the big D from CBB to Trenton and I go regardless of the conditions been in some nasty stuff got good vids of 12 O'clocking my bow during a ruff outing. For me it comes down to knowing your boat and personal knowledge of navigating rough conditions. I've had it out past the inlets of SJ on good days but I don't scare easy and push the limits further then most prob should but I've been out in every condition upto 25 mph on the Big D if I can handle it I'm sure you can too.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:56 PM
Dumb luck fisherman

Mother's Day was crazy last year. Wind went 25+. If I was by myself it would have been a blast. 4' waves almost the whole way back to the dock. With the wife and kids on board, it scared me a bit.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:05 PM
Muuuu...Cow Chaser.

Yeah I was out that day that's one of the days I took vid I think uneven sent that vid to u crazy day for me it was a crazy year broke down more times in one season then I have my whole life hope this season goes more smoothly if it ever gets here winter isn't going nowhere anytime soon new storms comin this week. Might be the second year in row I don't get a keep in march from the big D. Take the good with the bad ad just keep on fishin
Old 02-10-2014, 11:09 PM
Official Member

Thanks guys, appreciate the input. I'm no stranger to rocking and rolling in a big glass boat but as this was my first year with the jet I really had no clue. Spring tends to be unpredictable wind-wise and I'm not sure yet at what point I would essentially become a buoy. Hopefully won't find out soon either! I'll let you know how I make out when I do make the first trip down. Here's hoping for a warm up sometime soon...this winter is really throwing a wrench in my fishing plans. Tight lines!
Old 02-21-2014, 09:09 PM
Dumb luck fisherman

You come this far south, pm me and I'll get you my cell number if you need anything.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:10 PM
jetinray

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockDodger80 View Post
Here is a pic....
I have a 17 ' triton with a 115/80 jet pretty much the same profile as your boat and have been out in some 30 MPH winds at cbb. I agree with MU it is do able but the ride will be rough and wet on the ride but the stripers seem to like the wind. just need to take the waves at the right angle not always that easy when you are trying to get to the dock. you never know when the wind will hit. We have been out on what started out as nice weather and a few hours later the wind kicked up and got real windy.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:13 PM
Official Member

Thanks for the input Goodfishin. Good to hear from someone with a jet. Dying to get out soon like the rest of you. Getting the boat out this weekend finally....probably longest I've ever gone without fishing. The tunnel makes the jet suck air even more than normal in heavy chop, but at this point I would take 30mph winds over couch time just to be out.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:38 PM
jetinray

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockDodger80 View Post
New to the site here but was planning on taking a few cracks at the striper action this spring on the Delaware. Usually a smallmouth guy on the Susquehanna, but have caught a few stripers down there in the past and know how much fun it can be. Wanted to get thoughts from others if my rig will be enough for the water. I'm interested in fishing North of Neshaminy.... I have launched from there a few times before with a bass boat to fish tournaments but never went North much. I run a Lowe 1865 tunnel jet 115/80 hp merc. Curious what the water is like there in say 10-12 mph winds. It runs pretty good in some chop but too rough is no good. Thoughts? Do you see other jet rigs I that area in the spring? Thanks!
What section of the Susquehanna do you fish? I fish the far northern section.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:35 PM
Official Member

Anywhere from Sunbury up through WilkesBarre. Haven't gone further North than that really. Hear good things about Tunkhannock area, but haven't made the trip yet. So much river so little time!
Old 03-30-2014, 07:31 PM
jetinray

I have a cabin near Wysox so we fish that area down to Wyalusing. But Finding time to get there when the conditions are right is always a problem. Good luck with the striper maybe I'll see you on the gig D,