Stumped on which new reel.. narrowed down to 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Tackle Shop Product testing. Terminal tackle and gear forum. This forum is here to help the new and experienced angler in making good decision's when purchasing new gear. Talk about rods, reels, lures etc. here. List tackle or gear that you have experience with so that we may encourage others to try. Index of tackle dealers.

Old 07-18-2012, 03:08 AM
Official Member

Default Stumped on which new reel.. narrowed down to 2

Hey everyone i figured i would ask here maybe get some input on my next reel purchase. Basically i do alot of stiper fishing in local creeks and rivers and use light weight gear, i have decided to buy a new reel and rod, and i have the rod decision made up but not the reel. I am wondering which of these 2 reels is beter suited to be in a salt water enviroment, who has used them and any likes or dislikes. The rod is a 7'6 fast action st. croix and its very light and the 2 reels i am stuck inbetween are the shimano stradic 2500 CI4 and te diawa Ballistic 2500 both spinning. Price is the same on both reels and i have felt them both on my rod and like them both alot. The shimano is built from reinforced carbon fiber, the diawa something called zaion, both feel extremly strong. Line retrieval, and line cap are a little better on the diawa (by there specs online), weight wise the shimano is lighter. The diawa has 1 more bearing then the stradic. The stradic has a higher drag max then the diawa. The diawa also features the air rotor and air bail. I am very picky so i will list the things i notice most and like or dislike about each reel. The shimano is extrmely smooth and i like the handle better, the bail seems to snap back smoother then the diawa which seems to have the bail hang up a bit if you dont reel fast or flip it yourself. For the diawa i like the air rotor and air bail, they seem very light yet sturdy, it feel very smooth and the drag as well feels very smooth, i like the idea or a little more line cap seeing that i am using 10-12 pound test and the idea or a little more line retrieval. Well if you read that whole thing i really aprietaite it and would love some input on the 2 reels, i have already owned a stradic fg and higher end quatums and want to try something new, and have something that i can take care of and will stay smooth for a long time, thanks - Davetheman81 p.s. I apologize for the spelling mistakes and bad grammer, i am trying to type this on my iphone well trying to fish :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement