Surfcasting with eels - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:03 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Surfcasting with eels

Can anyone shed any light on how they fish eels from shore. I haven't put enough time in the surf with eels because I never have had great success, but I'm sure that if I put the time in that will change. The way I fish eels is casting them out as far as possible and reeling them in realllllly slow. Sometimes I'll get hung up on rocks. Can anyone tell me how fast they reel in and how to prevent getting caught in the rocks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2010, 02:01 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Surfcasting with eels

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsterman View Post
Can anyone shed any light on how they fish eels from shore. I haven't put enough time in the surf with eels because I never have had great success, but I'm sure that if I put the time in that will change. The way I fish eels is casting them out as far as possible and reeling them in realllllly slow. Sometimes I'll get hung up on rocks. Can anyone tell me how fast they reel in and how to prevent getting caught in the rocks?

I usually fish eels around structure in the surf , Jetties & Groins, Pilings and discharge pipes. If they are rigged freelined they rarely get hung up but are difficult to cast with any distance, if I weigh them down I use a Harness rig ...like I would for live bunker, spot and herring. This way you are sure to get the presentation out at the head of the jetty or groin, without struggling to heave the eel out, or off the hook.

Live 2 Fish
<><
Forced 2 Work

Fish Whisperer
Old 08-27-2010, 09:10 AM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

Quote:

To keep them from getting hung up in rocks. You have to stay in touch with them. pull the rod back every once in a while just slightly. Keep constant movement on the eel but reel extremely slow. If you think you are going to slow, slow down some more.
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2010, 08:19 AM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Whisperer View Post
I usually fish eels around structure in the surf , Jetties & Groins, Pilings and discharge pipes. If they are rigged freelined they rarely get hung up but are difficult to cast with any distance, if I weigh them down I use a Harness rig ...like I would for live bunker, spot and herring. This way you are sure to get the presentation out at the head of the jetty or groin, without struggling to heave the eel out, or off the hook.

Live 2 Fish
<><
Forced 2 Work

Fish Whisperer
fw, what is a Harness rig?
Old 08-28-2010, 10:45 AM
Official Member

i also whent out last week to breezy but not the jetty but the beach. i was throwing that ell for about 1 1/2 h. and nothing. i tryed to reel it in fast i tryed slow i even threw it in and had a beer. still nothing.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:57 PM
Veteran Elite

in my limited expierence with live eels I have fished them slow. almost like a texas rigged soft plastic for bass. I dont fish them that much anymore but the biggest fish I ever caught was with a live eel (Thanks Roccus).
Old 08-29-2010, 08:17 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfrob View Post
fw, what is a Harness rig?

Basically its a swivel attached to a breakaway clip,attached to a 3ft leader and circle hook that you attach to the main line after you have casted out just your weight . It allows the eel to swim freely up and down the length of your main line and is very effective especially along jetties. The only thing you have to remember is to allow the bass to come tight with the terminal end of your main line before you begin reeling in line. Fishing this rig requires a little patience & practice as the bass will usually stop after his initial run to reposition the eel before swallowing it. I drop my rod tip at this time If you pull or reel you will probably miss that fish.The Bass needs to be moving in order to come tight with him and position that circle hook in the corner of his mouth. Its a great way to fish eels at night around jetties because you have better control as to where your eel winds up after the cast .

Live 2 Fish
<><
Forced 2 Work

Fish Whisperer
Old 08-29-2010, 09:48 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
My best success has come on live eels from the surf. I work them very slow so that I can feel them bumping into structure. Typically after I cast them I will leave the bail open for a 5 count as the eel will naturally want to swim to bottom. I love a light action tip so that I can feel the eel squiggling and moving on the other end. When the eel goes haywire he is about to get eaten and the adrenaline kicks in and BAM it's on.

Something else to consider is that stripers want to stun an eel before eating it most times and so they will give it a tail slap to the head and then try to swallow it head first. Make sure that when you are retrieving that your rod tip is up high, almost straight up, and when you feel that tail slap stop reeling and bow the rod tip down towards the water slowly. When you feel the next hit then yank up hard and cross that stripers eyes and you're set in solid now
Old 11-21-2010, 10:40 AM
Striper Hunter

Hi guys

I like the sound of the rig so the eel can swim up and down the line but i dont get how well it would cast?

I have never tried this rig from the beach just from jetties and boats where you just flip it out 30'. Surely when you try for a long cast the wait fly out but the eel runs down the line in mid air? Especially with the wind in your face?

Thanks for the tips
Old 11-21-2010, 09:27 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimy View Post
Hi guys

I like the sound of the rig so the eel can swim up and down the line but i dont get how well it would cast?

I have never tried this rig from the beach just from jetties and boats where you just flip it out 30'. Surely when you try for a long cast the wait fly out but the eel runs down the line in mid air? Especially with the wind in your face?

Thanks for the tips
The Eel is only attached to the mainline AFTER you cast just the weight, Sputnick style surf weights work best . You need to add a bead to the leader to protect the knot attached to the weight. The eel is clipped to the main line at the waters edge and allowed to swim down the precasted line. To attach the eel to the mainline I use a 100 lb swivel with the hook attached then a 80 lb dou snap attached the other end of the swivel and attached to the mainline with the snap.

Fish Whisperer
Live 2 Fish
<><
Forced 2 Work
Old 11-21-2010, 09:58 PM
Striper Hunter

Thats Hilarious...... great method though