Help with needle fish - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Plugs and Plug Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Plugs and Plug Building This is our lure and plug building forum.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:41 PM
First Mate

Default Help with needle fish

Hey guys,
Can any one help me out with needles? Mostly the weighting for floaters and a medium sink needle...
Should I only use an inner tail weight or belly weight also? And I can pick up any of the wood best for the sinking ones, currently I am getting some easter cedar for the floaters.

Id really appreciate the help, id like to get these right!
even pictures or sizes would be awesome

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2010, 10:21 PM

Default Re: Help with needle fish

Needles can be tricky to weight
It would take hours to write up exactly how to do it, it all depends on what you want the needle to so and in what kind of current.

Make one as a testing plug, seal it, wire it, and put on the hooks. Drill a few holes along the bottom and tape in weights and wood plugs (for the empty holes). Not too much tape or it'll effect the sink. Try it in various different configurations to make it sink the way you want it to.
Remember saltwater is denser then fresh, so either add kosher salt to bring your test bucket up to the proper specific gravity (you can get a meter at a pet shop for small $) or do your testing at a dock somewhere.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:19 PM
First Mate

thanks suds , I do find weighting to be my biggest problem, will be a while till im making my plugs very similar to one another also, but thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2010, 04:02 PM
First Mate

Many of the needles I have built have been made from maple as I wanted sinking ones. The few I have built have been weighted in both tail and belly with one other one only in belly. How much weight to use is always the trickiest part

The way I have found to get close to the weight needed is to use an example plug. If you know what wood was used to make such plug then your part way there. I then turn out needle using similar dimensions but not fully the same, just really use plg as an idea. I then weigh my turned plug, wire, swivels and esitmate sealer, paint and finish weight. Having this weight then I can deduct this # from the original designs weight. The harder part is how to distribute it and you may also want to make it sit/sink differently in the water. Even with doing what is mentioned above there is still several to many test swims invovled unless your super lucky.
Needles are sometimes easier then many other plugs as they really dont swim(wiggle) but you want to have they right sink rate and level. You can also use an example plug to see how it sits and sinks. Also with many plugs out there you can see where the belly weights have been added and you can usually see it eve more after plug has been used for a while. Another way is to take the example plug to the band saw. I hope this helps
Old 05-17-2010, 04:22 PM
First Mate

This is also a tip I discovered to help fix or adjust a plug. I had a plug which I had been testing in fresh water, it swam very nice but maybe was vey slightly eratic. Well when I ued this plug in salt it went nuts, I adjusted by bending lip and front loop but it still needed a bit more help. Well I new I needed to add a little weight to the under side but where and how much was the question-I knew it did not need alot though. Normally I would have just made another or drilled it but this plug was finished and I really like it. I had used tungsten powder mixed with some epoxy and applied it to certain areas on underside and it fixed plug. It's actually one of my favorites.

Why use tungsten powder you may ask?? Well it is 1.5 times heavier then lead and mixes well with epoxy, plus I can sand of what I apply if I add to much or in wrong area. It is somewhat costly and should only be used for this purpose. There is only one metal that is heavier then Tugsten and that is gold which is actually very costly. The powder actually goes pretty far if only used when needed. I got mine at Golfsmith their regular price is $20 for a 1/2 pound (8 oz.) which is quite cheap considering. I have also used a bit of it on some plugs I had(massed produced) to add a little weight and swim adjustment. Oh yeah I also at times add it to rubber swim baits or worms as a couple grams can make all the difference needed.
Also if you don't like the color after applied -well you can ad some paint that is compatible to the epoxywhen applied or you can apply a little paint over epoxy/tungsten mix then spray with etex spray or lacquer
Old 05-17-2010, 07:02 PM
First Mate

I would of never guessed tungsten powder would have such a big effect, Ill look into it........

I spun two more needles today and im going to try a tail weight and small amount of belly weight this time and see what i end up with.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:29 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rclark12 View Post
I would of never guessed tungsten powder would have such a big effect, Ill look into it........

I spun two more needles today and im going to try a tail weight and small amount of belly weight this time and see what i end up with.
Sometimes you only need a gram or so of weight to fix a plug or make it swim better. Being that TP is 1.5 times heavier then lead adding it to the right place can make all the difference. There is even a company that makes rubber worms and swimbaits with Tungsten inside them to add weight they are called Tru-Tungsten

Check out this article and info on a couple products (Icast 2007) there are 2 Tru-Tungsten products mentioned
http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/b...7_editor_picks

I had a Surfster I made that I tried a new lip style on which made it swim eratic which a times is good. Problem is the tail waggle and side to side roll was insane. By adding a little TP to the belly and tail plus bending up front loop calmed it down to where I wanted it. Well now the plug is somewhere out on the lake as a Musky was swimming around with it stuck to it's face. Before losing it, it also took several Stripes along with a hybrid stripe. Pictured below is its sister with same custom bent lip but without any weight added yet -the same style lip is available for sale on the net though
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cow JR Proto.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	13524  
Old 05-18-2010, 03:40 PM
First Mate

thats a nice plug! I really want to make some surfsters they are my favorite plug but Ive still never made one