First Timer - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 04-25-2010, 11:09 AM
Official Member

Default First Timer

I talked the wife into taking a trip to wappingers the weekend of may 14th. I'm brinning the boat and gonna try for strippers for the first time. we are staying at a hotel thats just a bit north of wappingers. Can anyone help me out with a good bait shop and a boat launch in that area. I Plan and mostly bait fishing as I only have one weekend and it sounds like thats a good newbie plan. I have the nets to catch live herring but have no idea where to go. I'll take what I can get for info but I deffinatly need somewhare to buys blood worms and frozen herring as well as a place to put the boat in the water.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2010, 04:01 PM
Official Member

Default Re: First Timer

Fishermans world on market st in the village------ I would not waist any money on his herring----- mushy.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:18 AM
Official Member

If you have the nets to catch the live herring you should be able to scap them anywhere from shore before you go out, even at the boat launch before you go out and as for the launch in that area, you should google it or something I have never fished around there
Old 04-26-2010, 10:16 AM
Striper Hunter

Theres a public boat launch in the city of poughkeepsie at Waryas park. Its only about 10-15 mins from wappingers. You can go to fishermans world, but I personally stopped going to him. Make sure you call first to make sure he is open. Last time i tried getting shiners from him for ice fishing it was a rediculously long run-around process. Heres a link with some info for the boat launch (#23 on list) http://www.hrfanj.org/Ramps.htm#Poug...0Launch%20Ramp
Old 04-26-2010, 01:46 PM
Striper Hunter

I grew up in the area...Use the above website and go to chelsea NY, its a free launch and if your going early in the morning parking won't be a problem...Fishermans world for bloods, and get your own herring out of the river..
Old 04-26-2010, 05:05 PM
Official Member

Fisherman's World: (845-297-9664) Bloods at $9 a dozen. I tried to get herring from him a few days ago for a short evening of fishing and he told me he could only sell me a 10 pack (WTF??) so I just got bloods from him. Last year I was getting a 2 pack of herring from him, and for the record, it was def was mushy garbage most of the time.

**The Lake House: (845-297-3184) Bloods at $7.50 a dozen. Herring has been fresh all this year, and will sell in packs of 2.

Do yourself a favor and buy your tackle before you head out here, there is a good chance neither shop will have everything you're looking for. But Dick's in the Poughkeepsie Galleria prob will. Make sure you call the shops before you go because they both run out of bait pretty often.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:59 PM
Official Member

This is good info so far thank you I'll have the wife so I wont be going out as early as I like does parking at the free launch fill up quick? Probably will be going out at like 8 or later ( I know 5 am is more my normal speed). I have what I think i'll need for equipment I plan on mostly bait so i have circle hooks egg sinkers and flouro leader I have 15lb at the moment but though I might get a spool of something bigger. I heard there mouths can be abbrasive? On a side note I normally prefer to drift to cover more ground does that work with strippers and should I supend bait if I drift or keep it close to bottom. So much to learn and only 2 days to fish it but if it goes well i might be able to turn it into a yearly trip I dont even have to kill them just a steady bite to keep her interested and one decent one for a picture will get me another year.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:39 PM
Official Member

so I went to the website and I see 3 free launches there. Thats very cool. I have a small boat so shallow and worn down isnt a big problem for me. It seem like parking is the issue. is it even work looking at the chelsea one after 8 on a weekend in may. or should I just go to poughkeepsie or beacon and which of those is better odds at having parking.