Goals Goals Goals - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 01-05-2010, 01:44 PM
Winning !
Pro Staff

Default Goals Goals Goals

Let's hear your primary goal for the 2010 Striper run ?

Mine stays the same as it has for the past 3 years ... a 40" fish !!!

I have yet to break this benchmark ... they just avoid me for some reason. I have netted and photo'ed a few for my buddies.

Don't get me wrong, i'm glad as a group we get them, and would rather see somebody else boating them over not getting any at all. But man i bust my butt every year ... getting up early, collecting bait, putting in 110% effort while on the boat.

I tell people all the time, it's like work ... BUT FUN WORK !!!
There is no place i'd rather be than chasing them down.

I have learned a lot and definately catch my fair share of fish every year.
I would be willing to cut my numbers a little for a shot a big girl this year !!!!

I'm getting fired up up just thinking about them

BB
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2010, 11:13 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Goals Goals Goals

You know, it's funny- I would also love to catch a 40" fish this year. A 49" fish so I could finally win the River Basin contest would be kick ass! I would however settle for a mid- 30# class fish. BTW, I definately know what you mean when you say that it's like work. I too get up early (usually between 4:30 and 4:45am every morning I fish) go catch some bait with my girlfriends grandfather and make sure we get our shore spot before the late sleepers can!The past couple of years I've had to miss my son's t-ball games because if I don't get a spot early, we won't be able to fish at all. It kinda sucks but he understands ( I think ) and I go to all his late season games. I literally have to force myself to either NOT fish or to go later in the day if possible. I always take 1-2 weeks off just for striper fishing, so going at 8:ooam isn't that big of a deal. Of course, by the time the vacation usually rolls around, I've already been fishing for them for about three weeks Fri.-SUn. which means no rest for the wicked. Oh well, as I always say: "Sleep when you die!"
Old 01-06-2010, 11:31 AM

I wrote this a few weeks back in another thread in reefs and rockhoppers but it got very few looks. I thought i'd repost it here to help spur some chatter. Come-on fellas. thanks

The last few years I moved off of my comfort zones to learn new areas.
I would stick to this one place where I once no doubt lost the fish of a lifetime. This specific place had beaten me literally and figuratively more than a few times. I would go back with heavier gear, better tackle, a bit more experience and even 80 pound braid.
Then all of a sudden the place went cold. Sure, some tides produced some decent fish but more and more the skunkings increased. Part of it was tactics. I didnt fish nearly as often with bait but at the right times I did, and I was getting to know the right times and conditions.
A bulk head was added by the army corps and it changed the contour. Street lights were added nearby and I blamed it on everything from the depleted stocks to the lack of bait to the moon being too far from the earth. Everything .. So I gave up. I ventured to new uncharted territory. I fished the rest of the island ... maybe a total of 4 more miles of beach front or rats nest rocks. Sometimes even cross the bridge to Sandy Hook and a trip or three to Brigantine or Cape May.
I was seeing bait for a change . Silversides, mullet, herring and bunker.
Birds!! - Gannetts and gulls and the bass outnumbered the bluefish. Could you believe it? Was the cold spell going away.

Now it was off to try the rocks in Maine - the charm of Gloucester the swift current of the canal - the reefs of Jamestown, the Hudson and Delaware Rivers and the challenges of Montauk .
Wallenpaupack, Knockamixon and Beltsville produced a few catfish a smallie and a tiny LMB.
In Montauk I caught more fish in a day than in my entire season the year previous to that one.
Last year I spent time learning the inlets of Shinnecock and Moriches.
Sand beaches present a challenge because of a medical issue but thats where the sand eels were so thats were i spent the fall.
This year who knows. Delaware or the Chesapeake. I'd love to try.

What are some of your goals or plans?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2010, 02:53 PM
Winning !
Pro Staff

You know Jim you make some excellent points there about learning the habits better, changing tactics and even trying different locations.

One of things in my quest to find a "big one" is doing more night fishing.
They are more active plus nobody else is on the water.

Thanks

BB
Old 01-06-2010, 05:41 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbrian View Post
You know Jim you make some excellent points there about learning the habits better, changing tactics and even trying different locations.

One of things in my quest to find a "big one" is doing more night fishing.
They are more active plus nobody else is on the water.

Thanks

BB
I think that being willing to change you approach is key. For shorebound fishermen it may be harder, but for boaters there are MANY different ways to have at it. As an examplem last year I went out for ONE whole trip in my boat and as I was motoring to the spots I wanted to fish, I passed over SEVERAL large schools of herring. Looking back, I probably should have stopped and drifted some live herring below those schools. You can bet I won't make the same mistake this season!
Old 01-06-2010, 08:51 PM
Striper Hunter

Brian you definitely should consider more night fishing. Especially in the fall. It takes a big commitment to go without sleep. Many times I left my house at 10 or 11 pm to get to a spot by midnight or 1 am and fish it through the sunrise. Then do the same thing again the next night. But my best success was at night in the wee hours. And all from shore as well. Managed a 41" this past year and several mid to upper 30's

Change things up. Different presentations, depths, etc. Even subtle things as changing sizes of hooks or tails.

Try different areas. You may not need to do this from a boat but from shore I am studying tides, winds, temps, moon phase and also reading the water looking for the cuts or the waves breaking off submerged rocks, etc.

Guess what I am getting at is maybe you need to get out of your comfort zone???

Come on up to Mass/RI next fall and we'll hit some shore spots and go after some cows

Unless of course Dr Jane Lubchenco has closed our fisheries....and I am not kidding, it may happen but that is a whole 'nother topic

Tight Lines
Old 01-10-2010, 11:12 AM
Official Member

Win the river basin and have Joey get second place . BB we fish at nite it gets COLD. Drive slow and watch out for Debrie the river is spookie after midnite
Old 01-10-2010, 01:55 PM
Master Trophy Hunter

Defy all odds and win the river basin again. And break the 50lb. mark.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:09 AM
Winning !
Pro Staff

Quote:
Win the river basin and have Joey get second place . BB we fish at nite it gets COLD. Drive slow and watch out for Debrie the river is spookie after midnite

Well i am starting with a easy goal, of course i'd love to just get in the money @ the Riverbasin

My buddies boat has a big cabin and last year we brought along the little buddy heater, so it wasn't to bad in that aspect.

On a calm quiet night it's pretty neat out there under the stars. Hearing the fish get active on the surface is cool. Than a drag screaming in the dark gets the blood going

BB
Old 01-18-2010, 02:50 PM
Official Member
Pro Staff

goals are cool
i hit all of mine last year except one missed a 40 by 4 lbs twice
but all in all an outstanding year
i agree with jim you have to chase the bass where they go it takes many years to get this down and a good concise log is not only key but an absoulute necessitie
every little detail is important and thats why it takes so long.
you dont have to go nuts and go everywhere but certain areas have thier peak seasons so if you can make a few trips to these locals do so
i fish the hudson from late febuary until my other spots start to show promise
but its usaully good till first week in may
study the bass they have preferences in places they like to be
find them and take note
and do yourself a big favor if you find a honey hole shut up about it
trust me this is probably the best piece of advice i can give you
good luck in '10
mike
Old 01-18-2010, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator

this will be your year brian. ... we normally get a couple that are atleast 40ish down our way... the time will go fast and before u know it the cows are here
Old 01-18-2010, 09:09 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by hung4wheeler View Post
this will be your year brian. ... we normally get a couple that are atleast 40ish down our way... the time will go fast and before u know it the cows are here
You know, I've been saying for years that I need to get down there and try it out for a day. The only problem is that I hear the regulars can be quite ornery when it comes to people fishing in their spot!
Old 01-20-2010, 08:56 PM
First Mate

I love when people say "that's my spot, I've been fishing it for x number of years." What's your name Henry Hudson? I'm always looking for new spots to fish. Some guys are welcoming, others get offended, but most people just like to hear themselves talk. If I want to fish a spot the only guarantee is getting there first. Even if I've been fishing it for years. Oh yeah, goals. Get back in the surf. Throw more bait and less meat, and make time to take up an invite to the Chesapeake.

Last edited by schoolieboy; 01-20-2010 at 08:57 PM. Reason: grammatical
Old 01-20-2010, 09:45 PM
First Mate

my goal this year is to be at the "pound" more often...maybe even catch half as much as the PRO's,there....namely,hung,dean,and the rest of the crew there..lol.......
Old 01-21-2010, 02:25 PM
Veteran Elite

My goal is to fish the beach more this year.