Lead Weight - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Plugs and Plug Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Plugs and Plug Building This is our lure and plug building forum.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:38 PM
First Mate

Default Lead Weight

For those of us that every wondered what the theoretical weight of a slug of lead is...
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lead Mass.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	12616
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2010, 08:10 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Lead Weight

Thank you for this Rick. At first when I saw this I was like -OK what do I do with this Well I just remembered I'm in the process of making a mold out of aluminum. At first I was going make another one out of RTV putty or wood but then thought why as I have access to block aluminum at the shop(free). Clamp it together then drill it. I will add a hinge and latch, maybe even a handle for holding.
Thank you
Do you need one, or I can even send you the aluminum so you can make your own
Old 01-12-2010, 03:47 PM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

Can you get alumninum dowels? How Much? 1.25 or1.5" ? Just curious I have something I want to build and I don't want to buy a six footer.
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2010, 08:36 AM
First Mate

These are easier to read.

Name:	Lead Mass 3.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	12656

Name:	Lead Mass 2.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	12657
Old 01-14-2010, 09:34 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackbass View Post
Can you get alumninum dowels? How Much? 1.25 or1.5" ? Just curious I have something I want to build and I don't want to buy a six footer.
Is that the diameter or length. I can get anything but many things I would have to order. I know we have some round stock aluminum but not sure of the dimension. I know we have some of the thicker stuff as we mill or turn it to make custom parts for foot or right angle steering and a mess of other products. I'm pretty sure we even have upto 3" or so but not sure about the smaller stuff as it's uses are limited. Pretty sure the truck comes about every week or two so I can just tell them what I want. But if we don't have you might be better of with 6 footer as mine would more likely be 10 to 16' let me know and I can check. I have to run down soon anyway as they sent me the wrong aluminum bar stock. I also have to go and pick through other stuff as I may be making an Manual Linear slide X-Y axis for my router to use on the lathe. Prolly just use 2 slides one smaller on top of the other at a right angle. I could automate it but then that defeats the purpose of doing it on the cheap. Actually I may be able to grab a linear actuator from the parts bin(to automate one axis) but Im going to be limited to the length as I think we only have 1" to 2'-I quess that's long enough for plugs though. The other axis I may use locking or tension linear slide

Screw that I'm going to keep it easy and cheap after thinking about it. I have some high quality ball bearing slides I got for free that will work just fine
Old 01-27-2010, 07:46 AM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

Wow that is a lot of engineering going on in a typed response. lol
Old 01-28-2010, 10:02 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackbass View Post
Wow that is a lot of engineering going on in a typed response. lol
Yeah I tried the ball bearing slides and the way I mounted router sucked. I'm going back to my old plans but will most likely run on a chain(like vega) and either use 2 tubes or a channel and tensioned rollers. Need to fgure out how much tension to use. I will also use end mill for cutter, it will be similar to the Vega router setup in concept.