landing the big one - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 12-04-2009, 04:07 PM

Default landing the big one

Hey guys I'm new to board but not fishing. born and raised in mosquito lagoon(Merritt island,fl ) with red/black drum snook tarpon etc.. Ive moved to long island(oyster bay area) NY about 3 years ago new too this northern fishing techniques. well safe to say ,i catch on avg 20 striper a month when i have time after work. the last 3 months i was catching 5-10 a day, fishing 3 times weekly,best day was Nov weekend(jets halftime) i caught 33 stripers 1 1/2 hours fish time.. sizes range 25-34... Now Ive been having loads of fun with these stripers but nothing with major size.. now ill tell you what i fish -its behind my house is the beach, theres about 100 yards of rocks and boulders then there sandbars after the rocks that i found walking around with my waders.. the boulders are closer to shore and gets smaller as it leads out.. i fish on low tides ,the changing tides and high tides(most of the time.. i tried using bunker chunks never had any luck. but most of my luck has been coming from bombers and sometimes top water . i buy the blue/blacktop and silver reflecting bomber then i paint the head red..
Does anyone have any suggestions on landing or finding the big boys at these conditions.. on low tide i take pictures of my surrounding area so at night i know where to toss my plugs because i have 4 (about 50 yards of boulders each)jetties that i walk up and down to fish. any lil tips hints on different lures or tricks of the trade..

rob

pics coming soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2009, 04:21 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: landing the big one

So you say you fish on the low tide....and the high tide....and the changing tides.

So you fish about 24/7 ???

Can't wait to see some pics
Old 12-04-2009, 04:31 PM

lol i wish, no at the points of when there occuring .. its basicly whenever i get out there its either at its lowest or its changing on the way out from the 8 ish ft high to low.. tides change what every 6-7 hours? if im mistaken. theres alot of current when it changes and i notice this and try to hit it timely. the stripers are more active at this time. doesnt matter what time of day it is, i just fish the tides. if i misinterput a few things from my previous post, sorry. currently working at my busy office with 50+ clients :) dont reply if your just gonna criticise. just wanna get some fishing tips for later tonight.

thanks
rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2009, 04:49 PM

Try a bunker head right around slack tide.

Current is fastest half way out.
Doesnt necessarily coincide with the tidal flow.
Compare a current chart with a tide chart and you will see what I mean.
Many factors influence the current. Stucture, inlets, water body, depth, yada, yada, yada.
PS. That didnt sound like criticism to me.
Good luck tonight.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:07 PM

ah well take it as it is no harm no foul, thanks Jim, for the reply. Now with the bunker head do i free line it or use a weight and try the peaks of the jetty's or drag it across the rocks... any other lures that might trigger these boys. In the warmer days i was cast netting the herring ,i believe, using them live which worked well. But i havent seen much bait around the shore lately,every so often i see a pod go by and i try to keep with them and fish around em. nothin but schoolies really(25-28inch). just wanna try to get that big one..
Old 12-04-2009, 06:34 PM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

Robbie I should come down for a weekend and we will really dissect your area. If we catch a lot of fish maybe I will just move in. Kind of like What bout bob?

Seriously though. If you are seeing pods of bass in the schoolie range they tend to travel together. Working the outsides of the school down current may get you a larger fish. I would tend to focus on areas where there is rushing current rips edges of bars particularly on the changes. Don't be afraid to throw eels either. Bass love eels. Run a search to check out rigging and fishing techniques. Try needle fish white yellow and black. Darters white yellow and black.

Old 12-04-2009, 06:35 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbieb22 View Post
lol i wish, no at the points of when there occuring .. its basicly whenever i get out there its either at its lowest or its changing on the way out from the 8 ish ft high to low.. tides change what every 6-7 hours? if im mistaken. theres alot of current when it changes and i notice this and try to hit it timely. the stripers are more active at this time. doesnt matter what time of day it is, i just fish the tides. if i misinterput a few things from my previous post, sorry. currently working at my busy office with 50+ clients :) dont reply if your just gonna criticise. just wanna get some fishing tips for later tonight.

thanks
rob
Ohhhh, sorryyyyy. My engalish be knot sow god tonit
Old 12-05-2009, 08:31 AM
Striper Hunter
Pro Staff

Hey Rob, You moved to the right place! Keep putting your time in and you will be rewarded! Jim's right, your best bait for a cow is Bunker heads! You wanna find the deep pockets in between the points(especially at low tide)and soak your heads there.I like a 26-30" leader,60# leader,8/0 circle hook,fish-finder, and bank sinkers(weight depending on current speed and water depth).Be ready to lose some rigs and try to fish at night. As far as lures go, i like bucktails 3/4oz.-1 1/2(white) and at night DARTERS in the current. You might also wanna get korkers if you dont have them yet. Makes wading on rocks easier and safer. Slingin' eels also works at night when fished like a lure. A little difficult but once you get it down, very rewarding!