Is it essentially worthless to fish during the day? - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. > Shorebound - Surf Beginners
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Shorebound - Surf Beginners Information for the Shorebound angler

Old 06-30-2009, 09:12 AM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Default Re: Is it essentially worthless to fish during the day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantabularity
Seems like everyone recommends early morning and night for fishing.
Is it 90% futile to go and fish at 11am? 1pm? 3pm? Rough estimate.
I know fish may eat during the day if their routines get disrupted by weather, but lets not consider that for now.
While not considering the weather,,, I can't say a thing.
In that light (pun intended) I'd say "Probably".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2009, 07:01 PM
Jigologist

I gotta chime in here on this one.. I've had some of my best days jigging in the mid-day bright sun.. a stable barometer plays a role as well-- especially deep fish. they don't seem to care whether the pressure is high, middle or low.. as long as it's stable.. a rapidly changing barometric pressure will button their lip-- especially going up-- but once it stabilizes, they're on again.

It's only one of the factors involved in whether fish bite or not, but it does play a role, and depending on the situation, it CAN be a large role..

I use this link quite a bit 5 DAY BAROMETER ... I'll come back from a trip and lets say the fish quit biting for no apparent reason at 2:00pm.. more often then not the pressure will have changed rapidly right on the mark about 90% of the time.. after years of doing this it's more then obvious.. Save that link and try it for yourself the time scale is GMT so you have to do -4:00 hours for the east coast..

rock on!
Old 06-30-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLOATSUM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantabularity
Seems like everyone recommends early morning and night for fishing.

Is it 90% futile to go and fish at 11am? 1pm? 3pm? Rough estimate.

I know fish may eat during the day if their routines get disrupted by weather, but lets not consider that for now.
While not considering the weather,,, I can't say a thing.
In that light (pun intended) I'd say "Probably".

I understand what you're saying, what I really meant by that was "lets just say the weather is a nice sunny day"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2009, 08:06 PM

Rats are present all day long. Try clams along the rock beach fronts or jointed lures in the back harbors.
If you want big fish hunt at night or deeper during the day. What else can we say here. Go out and fish.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:03 PM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantabularity View Post
I understand what you're saying, what I really meant by that was "lets just say the weather is a nice sunny day"
Errr,
If you really understood,,,
,,, you wouldn't ask that question.

Like Jim said, "Go fish".
Old 06-30-2009, 10:40 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigman View Post
I gotta chime in here on this one.. I've had some of my best days jigging in the mid-day bright sun.. a stable barometer plays a role as well-- especially deep fish. they don't seem to care whether the pressure is high, middle or low.. as long as it's stable.. a rapidly changing barometric pressure will button their lip-- especially going up-- but once it stabilizes, they're on again.

It's only one of the factors involved in whether fish bite or not, but it does play a role, and depending on the situation, it CAN be a large role..

I use this link quite a bit 5 DAY BAROMETER ... I'll come back from a trip and lets say the fish quit biting for no apparent reason at 2:00pm.. more often then not the pressure will have changed rapidly right on the mark about 90% of the time.. after years of doing this it's more then obvious.. Save that link and try it for yourself the time scale is GMT so you have to do -4:00 hours for the east coast..

rock on!
i know, jigging is always the way to go when it is a day like that. it's funny you say the bite switched like it did.
i come back weatherunderground.com and i look at the same chit. but, next time you go (like you ever have to remember a banner day) and see if it jumped up and down, tell me what you saw in that instance. some of the boat fishing i've done has not been effected the same way. deep water does not involve the same qualities where i am fishing. i have 2 or 3 deep water spots from shore to fish but not the deep water i'd prefer in a boat on bluebird days. how deep of water and "well, can't say where but, pm me as i never put that aspect of it together in any deeper water to get a bead on the phylosophy behind that movement.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:32 AM
Jigologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimno1 View Post
i know, jigging is always the way to go when it is a day like that. it's funny you say the bite switched like it did.
i come back weatherunderground.com and i look at the same chit. but, next time you go (like you ever have to remember a banner day) and see if it jumped up and down, tell me what you saw in that instance. some of the boat fishing i've done has not been effected the same way. deep water does not involve the same qualities where i am fishing. i have 2 or 3 deep water spots from shore to fish but not the deep water i'd prefer in a boat on bluebird days. how deep of water and "well, can't say where but, pm me as i never put that aspect of it together in any deeper water to get a bead on the phylosophy behind that movement.
I have Zim and it almost alway seems to be the section of the graph where the line is the flatest that the bite was the most consistent.. take this snapshot of the graph for instance

between 06gmt-26th thru 09gmt-27th would be considered a fairly stable area and the bite would be fairly consistent. however from 12gmt-28th to 09gmt-29th would be a shit time... I've experienced even small flat periods to be a turn on period like the short flat periods during the rise on the 29th at the bottom , middle and top of the rise... the bite would be on for 3-4 hours and then poof... the trouble is you can't get a forecast only a history graph.

I've talked to a few fisheries biologists and they say it affects their buoyancy bladder real-time but it takes them time to re-adjust on their own .. kind of gives them "cramps" when it's rising and falling rapidly but once stable the adjustment is made, cramps are gone, bite is on..
Old 07-01-2009, 10:51 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

yes, but do you see how it's hopping up and down like that. that is exactly what i mean.
i always thought it effected the bladder but read it doesn't. the graph you have is in a low pressure gradient and the bite you refer to is totally accurate as when it lowers steadily it will shut down. now take it up a notch to 30.10 to 30.20 and no more and a steady tendency like that is accurate again. BUT my experience with the pressure in that particular zone is that, on the drop as like yours will spark a bite and as it drops faster it shuts down yes. we can agree on one thing and that is when it's dropped really low, it has to level off. but i know that on the high pressure days (only in that area stated above) the bite will get insane when it does that up and down fluctuation. i'm actually surprized (not by you anyway) that anyone gives this the attention i give it. as i have been watching it forever and a day like today was no exception. i had to work but got wind of fish being caught. now to see what happened in those hours it was done....

Old 07-02-2009, 01:55 AM
Jigologist

the updated graph shows stable areas between 3am and 9am then about noon to sunset on the 1st... when were they catching?? fairly long periods of stability compared to how it's been the last few weeks..
Old 07-02-2009, 09:44 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Fish feed when the mood and opertunity presents itself to them... I've caught some pretty impressive fish at high noon on a flat tide during a 5 day Bermuda high... but over a period of almost 40 years, nights and tranquill weather have out produced days and nasty weather 15:1... especialy where large bass are concerned.. Schoolies and teenagers feed constantly.. find the bait find the fish..
I'm not a big believer in fronts affecting fishing, if I can do what I want to do, where and when I want to do it.. most times I will be sucessfull.

That being said, location is key, some places just are not fishable at night and some are not viable during the day...large bass may seek the shelter of deep water under the blazing sun ( time of year and current conditions not withstanding) but those same fish will cruise the shallows when the sun dips.. there is always the excetion...Fish when you can.. that is the best time to fish.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:29 PM

This is about surf fishing - boat fishing is a different game

Bass are a low light fish and are very uncomfortable in shallow clear water in the daylight.
On a quiet, calm, clear water day especially near low water, striper fishing in the daylight can be an exercise in futility. (not counting the Jersey bunker blitzes which have had no predictable pattern especially this year).
It the water is higher, a little discolored and rough, in particular rough enough to be busting up clams on the rocks, striper fishing in the daylight can be outstanding.

If you're strictly cow hunting stick to the night. A non bunker blitz cow in the daylight is a very rare thing.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:57 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

see, i am always kicked in the arse for my excentric way of thinking. today, all bluefish on the fly and saw some bass but between 5 and 8pm. had sporadic blitzing action and the birds drove me crazy running up and then to another spot and to another and i always wait but filtering out the bluefish is the only way and when i located bass they were not in casting distance and would not come closer. perhaps tomorrow, i hate driving all that way for bluefish. this was a typical low pattern i caught. this weekend should improve.fri nite will be off the hook and sat even better. i wish i could take tomorrow off.

it was at this time the fish were blitzing. it is always this way at the beach when i get home and check it. can't see it real time as you know but i'm workin on it.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	buoyStationGraph.gif
Views:	72
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	11279  
Old 07-09-2009, 03:58 PM

Wetting a line is never worthless, Day or night something somewhere is looking for an easy meal. For my money, tidal changes, moving water and weather patterns are much more important factors, then just light or dark. My biggest snook, tarpon and stripers, have all come in the mid afternoon. Find the moving water and you'll find the fish. In tidal rivers you can chase the moving water all day. If it is low tide at the inlet it could be still flooding farther inland. Find an area where the geography funnels the most water through the smallest area. Bridges are a great start. Try that during the day...... tight lines
Old 07-12-2009, 08:51 AM
First Mate

Hey Snook, welcome to the site.

Exceptional answer/advice for all beginners - do this as often as possible and you won't have to come around looking for other guys spots.

Tight lines