Is it essentially worthless to fish during the day? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. > Shorebound - Surf Beginners
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Shorebound - Surf Beginners Information for the Shorebound angler

Old 06-28-2009, 01:42 PM

Default Is it essentially worthless to fish during the day?

Seems like everyone recommends early morning and night for fishing.

Is it 90% futile to go and fish at 11am? 1pm? 3pm? Rough estimate.

I know fish may eat during the day if their routines get disrupted by weather, but lets not consider that for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2009, 02:04 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Is it essentially worthless to fish during the day?

For some of us...like me...it doesn't matter. Because I ain't catching much either way.

Also, it may be different on a boat vs shoreline

For beach fishing I would think night and early morning makes the most sense
Old 06-28-2009, 03:07 PM

Same here. I'm just interested to know if it's almost insane to go in the day, or if it's somewhat justifiable. I try to wake up early for it but sometimes it's midday and I want to fish but I don't know if it's almost futile or what.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2009, 03:11 PM
First Mate

Obviously stripers are more active at night, but yesterday on a bright sunny day, around 12 in the afternoon i watched two 30 in stripers, and a 36 in striper pulled in across from me. If your going to go for stripers during the day i would reccomend the incoming tide and also shoot for an over cast day for best results. So to answer your question it is not pointless fishing during the day, fish as at possible opportunitys you get, you never know!
Old 06-28-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghilie View Post
Obviously stripers are more active at night, but yesterday on a bright sunny day, around 12 in the afternoon i watched two 30 in stripers, and a 36 in striper pulled in across from me. If your going to go for stripers during the day i would reccomend the incoming tide and also shoot for an over cast day for best results. So to answer your question it is not pointless fishing during the day, fish as at possible opportunitys you get, you never know!

Cool. But why overcast, what effect does that have on the fish?
Old 06-28-2009, 03:50 PM
Pro Staff

decent fish are just more likely to come into the shallows near the shoreline when the sky is overcast than with the sun is beating down. On bright sunny days, especially when the water is warmer, most decent fish will move off into cooler deeper water.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:28 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantabularity View Post
Cool. But why overcast, what effect does that have on the fish?
Quantabularity, i can't give you the exact scientific answer, but stripers prefer low light conditions do to something about their eyes (i believe the do not have eye lids or something like that). Thus making it much easier for them to hunt on an overcast day or at night because they have much better visibility. That is basically why they are a low light fish. Having said this, stripers are still caught during the day, just predominatly more at night. Mabey someone can give you a more exact scientific answer.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:42 PM
Veteran Elite

Sun up, down and night are the best times. But migrating fish will be chasing bait early and late in the year. Spring and Fall. At these times they don't care about time of day and they will blitz. It happens every year but doesn't usually last that long. But big 30+ lb fish will be taken during the afternoon and mid-day. Last years fall run was nutz with fish blitzing near the shore for almost 3 weeks ALL DAY LONG hitting anything you tossed at them. Warmer water usually ='s deeper colder water and night fishing.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:31 PM

I had one of the best days ever right smack in the middle of the day. Humongous pods of bait came together then acres of bass and gorilla blues moved in 10 feet from shore to as far out as you could see.
Beautiful bluebird skies. Water temps around 62 degrees. From 1 PM to 5 PM. Khary and Kyle were there for that one. My arms were falling off after an hour of horsing blues out of the way to get at the bass. Lost a favorite swimmer that day. I had to lay down on a rock and watch the frenzy I was so exhausted and winded.
Day time doesnt bother me one bit any more. Especially in the fall when the fish are agressive. Look for the birds and bait.
Night time is stealth time and big fish hunting time.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghilie View Post
If your going to go for stripers during the day i would reccomend the incoming tide
Name:  HeadScratchQuestionmark.gif
Views: 1366
Size:  684 Bytes
I would think that would depend on the spot, the bait and the conditions
Old 06-29-2009, 08:04 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy
I would think that would depend on the spot, the bait and the conditions
That is true, but i fish saltponds alot, and most of the fish come in and feed on the incoming and go out with the out going tide, i'm sure there are multiple spots best fished at totally different tides, so as sudsy put it depends on where you are.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:28 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

daytime (shoreline fishing) has a bite when there are conditions conducive to fish being on the feedbag.
1. tide has absolutely nothing to do with fish on the feed when bait is available at the shoreline and or riding the longshore currents into the rips
2. on clear sunny days if a front of high pressure moves in and has hunkered down, the bite rarely materializes on the beaches but fish may be jigged in back bays and estuaries where they lunker down and or ride out the front. (some will say they caught fish in these conditions but have no clue as to what readings i am goin by and what it is i am looking at so correct me if you have a crystal ball)
3. upon the drop of pressure when (and this imo gets scientific and is not alltogether worth defending as "opinions are like A#@^*&ES" a storm front will move closer and the falling barometer will turn on a feedbag for fish to blitz the beaches.
4. a steady barometer will have fish in a holding pattern and although they will feed readily or not/ a sudden drop or rise in pressure will trigger a bite.
5. red tides/algae blooms and spills of manmade nature can totally frig up a bite for weeks on end.
6. a day after heavy rain in the summer is only as good as the readings on the barometer.
how many times have you been fishing on bluebird days and caught absolutely nothing? learn to read the weather as well as the tides and your conditions. wind will (in some cases) KILL your chances even when these variables are falling together.
humidity factors in where the pressure will rise and fall with the atmosphere and if the humidity is fluctuating and the barometer is also doing the same - if the pressure is in what i call a (kill zone) and these fluctuations happen, it triggers a significant feed. i have had most all of my multiple fish nights/days on times when the wind and tide and pressure change has aligned this way., in every instance i have fished this pattern i have caught or had people catch fish.
i always say you have to be out there and in the act to get fish but i have many years of watching this crap to know when i wanna be out and when i wanna be a spectator selling popcorn and peanuts at the bath house.... when days come together and there's no sign of life?
JIG JIG JIG......
if you are lucky enough to find a fish in a hole you need to piss her off to get a hit. keep jigging the same spot/ledge/jetty/hole/bridge/piling/etc.
all this can be proved to be wrong in one instance or another.'
but rarely does zim fish from a boat and or kayak. so take from this what you want and
learn to read the tides and wind and if you like the rest of the info i stated.
am i gonna kick myself for this? i'm sure..
THE BAROMETER DOES NOT EFFECT FISH
THE EFFECTS OF THE BAROMETER EFFECTS CONDITIONS FISH DWELL IN.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:41 PM
First Mate

Lol, Zim, i think i'm going to bookmark this page now..such valueable info, thanks
Old 06-29-2009, 08:47 PM

Quote:
how many times have you been fishing on bluebird days and caught absolutely nothing?
Do sh*t fish count?
Like sea robbins on tins and skates on bucktails.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:51 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

no.......
sh*tfish will always be lurking at the beaches and includes fluke.
those are the things you target for the kids to have a shot at when they get bored. snappers/searobins/small bay porgies/etc. these fish will be available in all conditions. but then you know that all too well....