So, the canal finally blew up this weekend - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts > Cape Cod Canal
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Cape Cod Canal The Ditch.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:14 AM
The worlds worst fisherman

Default So, the canal finally blew up this weekend

So due to hangovers and family cookouts i wasnt able to hit the ditch until monday morning, and we killed it, i personally got three fish over 30 inches keeping a 38" 16lber for eats. Guys to my left and right were pulling mid 40"'s and it my first blitz expierence, at least what i think was a blitz and let me tell ya, it was awesome, ton of fun, they murdered my topwater jet popper, all in about 25 minutes. It was strange though. The current had just turned east, and was rather slow moving, you could hear them tail slapping all out in the middle, then a tug'n barge came through, and you couldnt here them any more, then literally ten minutes later baboom, three cast, three fish one right after another. I didnt have a cooler so i went and bought, field gutted and scaled the ole girl, all in about 40 mins. Went back to fishin. Nothing after that, so i called it quits while i was ahead as the new moon current really started to rip, making it tough to even jig bottom.

I would of changed a few things as this was my first take home keeper, i felt bad letting it suffocate, but i dont really know where to cut to bleed it out. I heard of cutting a gill, but was unsure if it meant the feather part or the piece that the red feather connects too. Or just cut a v right in the fleshy part of the neck. I was unsure so i unfortunately let her breath it out. And the lady who camps beside me showed me how to fillet it, but i dont think we did everything right, her father said he'll show me later. Now a question on skinning it. I used the fillet knife on a clip board, after i cut the fillet off the fish. But i feel as if thers is a better way, maybe while the fish is whole with a pair of skinning pilers? Can you just nail the fish to a tree or hanger or something and make an incision around the head and just just yank the skin off?

Now...... Whos got a good recipe! I grilled it in some tin foil with mayo, grlic salt pepper and lemon, it was alright, mildly fishy, but i liked it.
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2009, 12:32 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: So, the canal finally blew up this weekend

thanks for the report.

When I fillet, I stop at the tail and let that last piece of skin hold the fillet to the fish while I run the knife down a flat surface to get the skin off the fillet.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:53 PM
First Mate

Leaving the skin on can work out wonderfully and it helps keep fillet intact while cooking. Just mind the scales, with a little practice they should be a non-issues (or you could scale the fish too).

Here are three nice easy rubs that work well for grilling or searing.
1. Old bay seasoning (lightly dusted)
2. Lemon Pepper, a good high quality store baught mix is easiest, but you can make it yourself.
3. Lightly dous in a mix of 1/4 cup soy + 2 tablespoons brown sugar (mixed then applied), then dust with sesame seeds.

In a pan: Use just enough oil in the pan to transfer the heat (1-2 teaspoons). You want the pan very hot, just below the smoking point of the oil. Start with the meat side down, skin side up and don't touch it until the top is a little crisp and nicely browned. You can use a spatchula to peak, but don’t flip it more than once! When ready, flip to finish for 1-2 minutes.

On the Grill: is the opposite of in a pan. Oil the fish, not the cooking surface;PAM is perfect for this. Medium to low heat under the fish, high on the other burners with the lid closed to create a dutch oven. Start skin side down and Let it cook most of the way through then flip it for 1-2 minutes to finish the top, caramelize the spices and add some nice color. Then the skin can be pealed right off, with fingers or tongs, and you can flip it right onto the serving platter.

Always cook it fast and get it off, any extra cooking time will dry it out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2009, 02:38 PM
Veteran Elite

Nice fish and I'm glad you had a blast But next time dont tell everyone where you were fishing So how did it taste?
Old 05-26-2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACKBAYJ View Post
Nice fish and I'm glad you had a blast But next time dont tell everyone where you were fishing So how did it taste?
the canal is seven miles long. and famous for fishing. i dont think i gave any one any spots by saying i was at the canal, that would be like saying "i fished the entire nh shore", and someone saying "oh great you gave away your spot."

p.s. the meat was awesome!
Old 05-26-2009, 10:53 PM
Cow Catcher

Might as well put a pole number...keep your spot to yourself. Now i'll have every goog Jiggin over my pencil. Glad ya had fun..But theres no fish in the Canal.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:14 PM

there's fourteen miles of fish able shore.... oh well, guess i wont post a fish story again.

"up next......Hot of the presses, The cape cod canal,?, some say is actually a good fishing spot. christa delcamp has this breaking story."

"the canal.?.?.? a good fishing spot since 1909, dylan dryer has your story.?

"next on channel seven.....outrage as someone says 14 miles of shore is fishable"

"stripers on cape cod??? can they be fished, we'll tell you next, on channel 38"

the globe states, that the canal, for the first time since it broke ground in 1909 actually has fish in it. (this story would actually legitimize charging 4 bucks for sunday paper)

guess i'll just stick to reading. salty mf'ers
Old 05-26-2009, 11:50 PM
Cow Catcher

How about fishing hot down the Cape..This is how my outing went. I don't need 10 thousand googans and assholes Jigging over my pencil, picking up there trash or standing shoulder to shoulder with me.
Explain 14 miles of shore line to 10,000 people. The Canal still has no fish.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:00 AM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oily Maroo View Post
"stripers on cape cod??? can they be fished, we'll tell you next, on channel 38"

the globe states, that the canal, for the first time since it broke ground in 1909 actually has fish in it. (this story would actually legitimize charging 4 bucks for sunday paper)

guess i'll just stick to reading. salty mf'ers

Seriously, The Point, there are 100 googs jigging over my pencil everytime i go there reguardless. Give oily a break for christs sake the guy finally has a good day and comes here to celebrate, and he gets flak for it from you for saying he was at the canal. Congrats Oily, i know you've been tryin like a bastard, its good to see you got on some great fishing!! Keep up the good work buddy.

By the way, i was there too, and it was F'in awesome. So there hah
Attached Images

Old 05-27-2009, 07:14 AM
Striper Hunter

Hey Oily. Good job and I am glad you hooked into some stripers. Sounds like an awesome day

By the way I caught one in the ditch last week as well. Even posted a pic of it.

I also heard of stripers in lots of other areas also. The harbor, the bay, north shore, south shore. It's really no secret that fish are moving in to this area and you can go just about anywhere right now

Old 05-27-2009, 09:29 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oily Maroo View Post
"i fished the entire nh shore", and someone saying "oh great you gave away your spot."
LOL! That's funny, and I agree completely. Even the concept of spot buring is 'meh' to me. I released severl keeper sized fish at high noon on monday 20 yards from a guy fishing with his family (seven rods in the water!) not catching a damn thing. I'm not scared of the inexperienced angler burning my spots even if I gave them a map with the fabled X marks the spot; anyone experienced enough to have to worry about fishing me out is already aware of the signs to look for or the spots themselves.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:56 AM
Cow Catcher

I'm not talking about inexperienced fisherman not catching fish but when they go down there with 20 rods and leave trash fishing line and every other thing under the sun there while fishing on my shoulder because I'm catching fish is BS. I was there this whole weekend and it was jamming from everyone with VS's to Wally world specials. I was there at sun break Slamming fish up wards to 25lbs. by 6am EVERYONE AND THERE MOTHER WAS SHOULDER TO SHOULDER WITH ME WHY??? BECAUSE YOU POST TO 10,000,000 people on the INTERNET.
Glad you had a great day, and released many fish. I did the same.(countless)
Just keep the spots out of it. Now I don't care cause everyone will be chasing yesterdays reports and the fish left. But glad ya had fun.
JXA1 take a picture of sometime bigger then a schoolie. I've seen herring bigger then that.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:50 AM
Pro Staff

Wow Chad,,, did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed today?

There's no spot burn here.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:00 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Point View Post
BECAUSE YOU POST TO 10,000,000 people on the INTERNET.
The canal was shoulder to shoulder before Al gore invented the internet. You might as well be fishing billingsgate shoal, race point, or the southwest corner of stellwagon... any number of these places are like a wallmart parking lot on black friday and it has nothing to do with the internet or a spot burner.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:23 PM
Cow Catcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitrunner View Post
Wow Chad,,, did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed today?

There's no spot burn here.
JUST MIGHT HAVE. CCC has no fish anyways. Neither does Rhode Island. SO Everyone Fish CT.