A question for the canal guys out there. - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts > Cape Cod Canal
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Cape Cod Canal The Ditch.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:14 AM
The worlds worst fisherman

Default A question for the canal guys out there.

I may have caught the bug, because on my ride home from work last night, i was traveling along the dreaded SE expressway, and a thought hit me. I'm wondering if a fish finding rig is a practical appilication for the canal. Attach a heavy sinker (4-5oz) to a light piece of 10-16" mono(10-12lb)(for the break away when it gets stuck in the crags) with a float right before the finder to keep the mainline off the bottom. Then use a 20-30" leader with a 6/0 hook with a seaworm or a strip of squid. Im thinking you could pay out 30-40yds after the sinker takes a bight. The sinker would hold the pivot point of the finder towards the middle of the canal fighting the natural currant that brings your bait to the shore, then the current would make the strip dance paralell with the shore.. I could let that soak while i plug the bottom with another reel up currant from that. Just wondering if i will end up swearing and drinking, or be productive. And again its the canal.

Last edited by Oily Maroo; 05-06-2009 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Explanation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2009, 01:09 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: A question for the canal guys out there.

aaa
Old 05-06-2009, 04:24 PM
Striper Hunter

I don't think a fish finder rig is practical for the canal. A simple three way swivel with the sinker on a breakable mono is a good way to go. I would also concentrate on using bait or plug but not at the same time. Your idea might work for the few minutes of slack but not when the canal is at full flow. I tried a lot of different techniques thru the years and ended up with just a simple three way swivel. It gets decent distance and not too complicated. Be sure to have a pocket full of sinkers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2009, 05:55 PM

i do tend to over think things, and get too technical. but i tend to have figure out that my idea doesnt work before my stubborn head realizes that everyone was right. and that I cant re-invent striper fishing in the canal. So I'm probably going to have to try it once.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:21 PM
Striper Hunter

Oily - I dunk a similar rig while casting plugs...lot of guys do.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:26 AM
Official Member

I'm not sure it'll hold bottom. I saw someone chunking in the canal under the Sagamore bridge in daylight one time. He was lobbing this massive ball weight...bigger than anything I've seen. He did have a striper on a stringer so it did work at one point during the day...
Old 05-08-2009, 06:12 PM
First Mate

Is this a real question? No Offense if it is. A fishfinder is a tried and true method for harvesting Stripers in the Canal.

I used to use 5 to 8 ounces of lead and mackeral on an 8/0 hook attached to an 18 - 24 inch wire leader. 1/2 before to an hour after Slack depending on tide and current strength.

Good luck .
Old 05-15-2009, 09:30 AM

well, it works well like joe said right around slack at the mudflats but after that the currant rips too hard and i lost a couple rigs and some line before giving up on it. But at the east entrance jetty, i found out, it works pissah, on a west tide the water hooks a left into the canal, and no matter how fast it was ripping, i would toss it right at the edge of the hydraulic and the current would just grab it right after the sinker took a bight.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:26 AM
Striper Hunter

I'm glad to see someone is still inventive about fishing the canal.Sometimes I just drive up,unwrap a new 3 or 4 oz bucktail,and just hurl it into the canal and go home.It saves me time.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:54 PM

CCdave, lol seriously. i was joking today that, when the epa was complaining about the lead paint they used to paint the bridges contaminating the water, they were looking up, instead of down at the millions of dollars of lost gear in the bottom of that bastard. running total this weekend.

lost:
1-4oz canal special bucktail jig 6.00
1-atomizer popping plug 11.00 may or may not of been my own fault at not looking at the bird caged reel before i cast it out and it came to a sudden hault a 1/3 of the way accros the canal, followed by the righteous snap of power pro braid.
100 yds of 65lbs powerpro braided line about 18.00
1-8oz storm shad-12.00
2-4oz crippled herring-16.00
1-3oz black ron z lead head eel thing-a-ma-jig-12 freakin bucks at Canal B&T later on found them at Falmouth B&T for 5.

caught:
1-schoolie at 24 inches. on the same lost Ron Z eel

scared:
1-waitress at marshland by falling asleep reading the menu at 9 am because i've been up all night.

i swear i like fishing.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:00 AM
Pro Staff

That's a very short list of items lost to the canal... it will grow exponentially.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:06 AM

no no no thats this weekend alone! duh.... there was almost an ugly stik and a sargus added to the list too. but i barely practiced patience and refrained from throwing them in.