Lead Core Line - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 01-24-2005, 07:23 PM
First Mate

Default Lead Core Line

I am setting up a lead core set up and am wondering what options i have?

i will be trolling/drifting tube and worm and eels

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2005, 09:03 PM

I would do the 35 pound leadcore (make sure you have at least 4 colors on your reel) with mono or Dacron backing, then a 5 ft flourocarbon leader...and dont forget a ball bearing swivel for the tubes (I've had major line twist problems before...and the ball bearing swivels work the best)

...try a Penn GTi 320 Levelwind and Penn Mariner rod...they work perfect for me... :D (you can find really good brand name rods at lower prices at Sports Authority...I was amazed by their selection)

1 color of Leadcore=30 ft=4 or 5 ft down...

Good luck
Old 02-08-2005, 03:55 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Most of my lead core fishing is done trolling live mac's.
I prefer 45 lb lead,6 colors,with dacron backing,3' of #50 floro.
For reels I use Penn 114H with a soft action custom "s" glass rod 6'
I also use this set up for trolling tubes,the soft action helps keep the worm on the hook.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2005, 09:35 AM
Veteran

how do you keep him (mack) down. Are you using downriggers :?:
Old 02-16-2005, 07:54 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

towing that lead slow him right down! the only time they come up is when it's dinner time and the're the dinner! Thats why the short 3' leader
Old 02-19-2005, 11:21 AM
Veteran

I have 6 to 10 colors on my reels 45lb. test with the rest backing. I buy the short spools at kittery trading post. was $5.00 I went up the other day didn't have any. 4 colors isn't enough sometimes. It's nice to have a little extra.
Old 02-21-2005, 06:30 PM

I use 45 and 60 lb almost exclusively 75 yards backing tie with a double uni knot and " Very important take the lead out of the leadcore before you splice it to the dacron backing and mono leader' The leader is 8 feet 50 lb floro or mono with a #1 crosslock snap or ballbearing swivel' any boat reel with a 7 foot rod medium action will do the job pete santini
Old 02-23-2005, 03:37 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by santinitube
" Very important take the lead out of the leadcore before you splice it to the dacron backing and mono leader'
Why do you do that :?: I never take it out .I never had a problem . I use a double nail knot. Like a uni knot
Old 02-24-2005, 10:43 PM
First Mate

Pete, if I come to your shop how much to put the backing and set the whole reel up. I wanted 36# lead core I have a 555GS Penn reel

I have a 8 foot rod tho I hope it works ok

Bob
Old 02-25-2005, 10:55 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Sea sea Rider,
The reason for removing the lead is to SPLICE the the backing to the lead,this makes a smoothe transistion from the lead to the backing,I too splice rather than knot the line,I dont want anthing to hang up in a guide ot cut a thumb or finger...it's just a matter of prefrence.
when splicing the lead to the backing I also serve the connection with unwaxed dental floss and coat the connection with plyo bond.
Old 02-25-2005, 02:29 PM

Whats the best way to splice the backing to the leadcore?

...I've seen people do it with wire but never leadcore...
Old 02-25-2005, 02:56 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

I'ts eaiser to demo than explain,have you ever spliced dacron?

first you need a splicing needle,they make them,I make my own from light wire,basicly the needle is a long (I like 10") double wire that will fit into the dacron/lead core line,take a bait knife (or pocket knife) and fray the bitter end of both lines,this is critical to keep the line moving inside each other,about 18" up on one of the lines insert the needle into the line facing the bitter end,you may have to roll the line between your fingers to get it started,work the needle up inside the line,rolling and pushing(towards the bitter end) about 6" then come out of the line,now insert the other line into the needle just to the frayed end,gently pull the needle(and other line) back and out the orignal hole,pull about 18" of the second line through the first line, move up the first line about 6',insert the needle and slide it up to the second line,coming out about 1/8 of an inch before it touches the other line,repeat until all the line is burried inside the first line,repeat with the tag end of the second line until it too is burried,you ow have a smooth transistion from backing to lead,it sounds harder than it is,I've spliced tuna line(dacron) backing after a hot fish in 6' seas.
earlier in this thread I mentioned that I serve the end,that is from leader to lead,the lead is removed and 3' of leader is "pushed" or spliced up inside,then the end is served with dental floss and sealed with plyobond,that way the leader can be reeled up into the rod if need be.
Old 02-26-2005, 08:20 AM
Veteran

What I do is use an old tip top from a broken rod. I slip it through the center . It's easy. I alway left the lead on, it makes it stiff. I think it works better? I use a nail knot. I have never had a problem.
Old 02-26-2005, 05:17 PM

Roccus...so, basically the dacron is threaded in-and-out of the leadcore...?

...What keeps the lines from slipping?
Old 02-26-2005, 06:44 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

it's the old chineese finger trick,the dacron and dacron on the lead squeeze eachother making a srtong and secure lock