Having Lead pouring problems...... - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Plugs and Plug Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Plugs and Plug Building This is our lure and plug building forum.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:02 PM

Default Having Lead pouring problems......

Hey 247 lead melters, I just started using a Hot Pot II, trying to pour 3oz slab spoons.
I melted down some tire weights, which I understand aren't first choice, but got a few pounds of fairly clean lead from them.
I preheated the mold in the oven for a while, then poured hot lead into mold with out the clips until after about 6 tries I got the whole mold full of lead, then placed clip in mold, and couldn't get it to fill more than 2/3 of the way. I'm wondering if the cool clip causes the lead to cool too quickly, or if I need to heat mold up hotter, and maybe heat clips up too?
I know these are a lot of questions, first time ever pouring lead, and all I accomplished tonight, my first night, was to learn I don't know how to do it, and I poured a few ingots to use once I figure out what to do from here.
Let me put the questions in some order:

1. Can you heat the mold in the oven even though it has wood handles?

2. Is tire weight lead ok for spoons, or should I use soft lead from say Bass Pro?

3. Should I heat the clips up?

4. Not sure if there are any questions I'm NOT asking.

Thanks for any advice!
LMJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2008, 12:31 PM

Default Re: Having Lead pouring problems......

Not sure what you mean by clips but the problem does sound like the mold isn't hot enough. I keep mine on top of the pot while the lead is melting and every few pours give it a quick once over with the propane torch to make sure the thicker parts of the mold stay up at the proper temp.

Tire weights are better for spoons as they contain hardeners (antimony/tin/whatever) and the final product will be more durable then pure soft lead.
Tin would be an even better choice if you can find it.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:03 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

buy yourself a small electric hot plate,cover the hot plat with a square piece of 1/8 aluminum, you can set the mold on that between pours if your having heating issues, it's alot eaiser and faster than playing with the torch.....Pure lead pours alot better than the tire weight mix, which melts at a higher tempeture, and cools quicker due to the impurties...

If your buying bulk pure lead, try the plumbing supply stores, it's alot cheaper from them than it is from a sport and tackle shop....

you also can buy lead flashing from Lowes or home depot...

Tire weights are a cheap alternative,I've used them for years for making cod jigs and buck tails and they always performed well...it also makes spoons with better action than the heavier pure lead.
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2008, 03:52 PM

Thanks Sudsy, Roccus, nothing like a couple of the old pro's coming through!
Sudsy, the clips are bent wire that form the eye for the hook ring and to tie off too on either end, one piece bent double twice to meet in the middle.
I need to do the "heat the mold" better, I did pick up 10# BP lead, sticker on shelf said 8.49, rang up at 21.99! I pointed out to Mgr, they let me buy as much as they had on hand for 8.49, (I only picked up 2 pkgs, I'll do the Hdwr store) but man they were changing that price in a hurry!
I'm using a range hood w/double blower fan to remove fumes through dryer vent, have it hanging right above work bench, it still smelled pretty strong in the basement, even though the smoke was going up through blower. It only smoked when I was first melting down tire weights, then as I removed the clips and junk, it was pretty clean coming off lead.
Any suggestions there? I may have to brave the cold and move to the garage, which is w/out electric, but plenty ventilated!
Thanks for the feedback guys!
LMJ
Old 01-03-2008, 06:22 PM

Thumbs up Re: Having Lead pouring problems......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccus View Post
buy yourself a small electric hot plate,cover the hot plat with a square piece of 1/8 aluminum, you can set the mold on that between pours if your having heating issues, it's alot eaiser and faster than playing with the torch.....Pure lead pours alot better than the tire weight mix, which melts at a higher tempeture, and cools quicker due to the impurties...

If your buying bulk pure lead, try the plumbing supply stores, it's alot cheaper from them than it is from a sport and tackle shop....

you also can buy lead flashing from Lowes or home depot...

Tire weights are a cheap alternative,I've used them for years for making cod jigs and buck tails and they always performed well...it also makes spoons with better action than the heavier pure lead.
my man has a answer for every thing.
you rock roccus.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:47 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMiamiJeff View Post
I'm using a range hood w/double blower fan to remove fumes through dryer vent, have it hanging right above work bench, it still smelled pretty strong in the basement, even though the smoke was going up through blower. It only smoked when I was first melting down tire weights, then as I removed the clips and junk, it was pretty clean coming off lead.
Any suggestions there? I may have to brave the cold and move to the garage, which is w/out electric, but plenty ventilated!
Thanks for the feedback guys!
LMJ
the smoke and the smell was probably road tar, oil, dirt..and whatever else was on the wheel weights..at least if they were used ones..also, many wheel weights have a finish coating on them to help prevent damage to wheels. your better off getting cleaner, more pure lead... or melt up a larger batch of used wheel weights outside, skimming the crud off the top and ocasionally stiring to help bring the crud to the surface. then pour yourself some slabs of the clean lead which you can then re-melt inside where you can pay closer attention to keeping the mold hot and achieving better jigs and such. this way the dirty melting is done outside and the cleaner melting inside. the ventilation you have should be fine, but its a good idea to wear a good painting mask. lead can be very dangerous if particles become ingested or inhaled, especially for children. it may be a good idea to search lead hazards and safety. i hope i was also of some help, suds and roc pretty much had it covered, but i just did some research on lead and i feel its important to encourage safety.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:58 PM

I'm with you JIMI, I wear a 3m organic mask, I work for an auto parts chain in the refinish division, I can replace the thin outside filters. Also wear goggles, I'm going to buy a Dorman face shield to give me better coverage as well as not fog up like the goggles do, with glasses. I wear latex gloves, as handling even the cool lead can eventually lead to contamination. I abused my liver fairly severely in my rebellious youth, and don't need anymore damage!
I looked into some of the hazards, and don't want to subject my family let alone myself to the fumes.
We have newborn to 12 year old grandbabies over alot, so I'm trying to do all I can to minimize if not eliminate the hazards. With winter and snow/rain, it makes it hazardous to cook this stuff outside, I may need to brave the cold though and run an extension cord to garage, it makes sense to do the dirty melting as far from the house as possible.
Thanks for the heads up!
LMJ
Old 01-04-2008, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccus View Post
buy yourself a small electric hot plate,cover the hot plat with a square piece of 1/8 aluminum, you can set the mold on that between pours if your having heating issues, it's alot eaiser and faster than playing with the torch.....
That's a heck of an idea - thanks Roc
Old 01-06-2008, 08:01 PM

Ok, I have made progress!
I picked up the BP lead, it melts real clean, and heated mold on pot as it melted the lead, my first test pour was clean, placed insert in mold, 10 3oz spoons in no time at all!
I need toaster oven to heat spoons and cure powder paint then I can post pics of spoons.
Thanks to all of you guys for the info, a guy here close to home gave me a roll of roofing lead sheets, I can barely lift it, so I should be good for lead for a while!
God Bless!
LMJ