anyone pour their own lead for plugs? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Plugs and Plug Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Plugs and Plug Building This is our lure and plug building forum.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:21 PM
Veteran Elite

Default anyone pour their own lead for plugs?

I was wondering if anyone made their own belly and tail weights. I am getting tired of running out to the store for split shots. and waiting for deliveries from NJ tackle and the like. I have a blank mold which can be milled for whatever and am planning on purchasing a melting pot soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2007, 09:29 PM
First Mate

Default Re: anyone pour their own lead for plugs?

Making weights is easy if you have the mold. I wonder if drops of molten lead dropped into water would work. I'd wear the safety glasses. I've been making my own fishing weights and bullets for years. It's not hard at all, if you have the mold.

When weighting pencil poppers last spring, I did some math to figure out the size of hole in the butt end of the plug to get me the weight I was looking for. After all the math, it turned out to be trial and error. I drilled, recorded how deep, poured in molten lead and tested the plug in a bucket of water. The I'd pull the lead slug, drill some more and pour more lead until I got the plug to do what I was looking for.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:00 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

i got a melting pot, foundry style. zeema mentions figuring out what size bit and how deep of a hole to drill to attain certain weights and pouring right into the plug....sounds like he figured out how i weigh almost all the plugs i build...i also buy tail weights from nj tackle and cc tackle....for some stuff too...a bit more consistency that way..if you decide to start melting your own lead..be careful. wear a full face shield when near the pot, and make sure there is no chance of liquid ever falling into a pot of hot lead...that would be really bad...really bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2007, 12:31 AM

I've been pouring my own for a while.

I started with a mold made from Rock Maple and later had a machinist friend do the drilling of a blank Do-It mold. Both are designed to use large finishing nails for the through holes. The Do-It mold has additional holes on the backside for belly weights.

Click image for larger version

Name:	plugWeightMolds.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	4063
Old 12-07-2007, 07:18 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

I pour the the belly weights in a shop made mold like Sudsy has, on some lures. like slow sinking needles, I pour the lead directly into the plug, then using a forshner bit remove a little at a time until I find the balance i desire...
Old 12-07-2007, 01:17 PM
Veteran Elite

thanks I will try and make up my blank mold with some holes for both.

anyone know where i can get a good respirator for lead?
Old 12-07-2007, 01:25 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by smulax View Post
anyone know where i can get a good respirator for lead?

That helps explain allot. To many fumes over the years....
Old 12-07-2007, 02:09 PM
Veteran Elite

I pitched the idea to my wife. and she wants me to do it outside because we have animals running around the house. I will probably end up doing it outside but still want to wear a respirator. and i should start wearing one while turning
Old 12-07-2007, 05:03 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

i have a friend who machined me a few molds out of alluminum for weights as well..but i still find it easier to fill the plug most of the time...he made me a few v-blocks too..ill post some pics later on.

smu...any auto parts store that mixes auto paint will stock a paint fume quality respirator...3m makes a good one..ill post pics of mine later on too.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:01 AM
Veteran Elite

I drilled out the blank I have and melted some lead in a ladle with a mapp gas torch just to try the mold and make a few belly wieghts so I could keep going on the plugs I am working on. IT WORKS. accept I used almost the whole bottle of gas. Thanks to all for the help.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:41 AM
First Mate

Before I got a electric melt pot, I used either a Coleman fuel or propane stove. The liquid fuel stove was hotter. I still use the Coleman, and a stainless steel pot when I need to melt down large quantities to pour into billets. I use a old muffin pan for making the billets. When the lead is melted, I use a small piece of wax and stir it in to separate out the crap that floats to the top. The wax might flame up, so expect it to happen. Not a big deal if it does and it goes out quickly. It will definitly produce some smoke. Then I use an old metal table spoon to scoup off this layer. What's left is nice lead. Best done outdoors, and take the usual precautions so you don't get burnt if something spills. Wear leather gloves so you don't get burnt if your reflexes have you grab something you're not suppose to. Never do it with only sandals on your feet. A respirator would be a good idea so you don't suck in the fumes. Piece of cake.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:15 AM
Veteran Elite

Thanks rick. I will try it with the camping stove. I am in the process of locating lead. it is not easy because it guess the price is really high right now. and every garage I have called or visited either use their old wheel weights for race cars or re use them on other cars. I think junkyards are next. maybe the lead from an old battery I have will work if I can figure out how to get it out?
Old 12-21-2007, 09:07 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by smulax View Post
I am in the process of locating lead. it is not easy because it guess the price is really high right now. and every garage I have called or visited either use their old wheel weights
I haven't had to look for lead for a while, but here are some thoughts:
1. Trade a local garage a couple lures for some wheel weights. I'd bet there are some fisherman working at some of these.
2. Try to see what the garage is getting paid for lead and offer a few cents more.
3. Motorcycle shops use lead to balance wheels. They might have some old stuff laying around, or would be willing to save some for you.
4. Shooting ranges. Indoor ranges are easy because the lead hits the wall and falls. Outdoor ranges aren't bad because the lead doesn't go far into the dirt. Pistol ranges, where folks tend to shoot reloads with lead bullets works. Make sure anyone that shows up to shot knows your down range.
5. Scrap yards...maybe.
6. Do you know any plumbers? They are probably replacing older lead traps with plastic or brass.
7. Do you know any roofers? They might be replacing some old lead flashing with new stuff.
8.You can still buy lead flashing at the hardware store.
9. Junk yards might be a source for lead tipped battery cables.
10. Next time your up in Southern New Hampshire, stop in and see me. I have some I will happily share with a fellow Striper247 member.

I've cut the lead terminals off of batteries, but I've never wanted to venture inside a battery. I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle. Be careful, battery acid is very corrosive.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:39 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

ide stay away from the battery acid....besides, if you have any junk batteries they are worth between 5 and 10 bucks each to a core buyer. lead is big right now..its all going to china to make paint for childrens toys.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:26 PM
Veteran Elite

thank you jimi that made me laugh today.
I laugh because my neices all got what seemed like 50 toys for Christmas each. and they are all made in china.