Originally Posted by smulax
I am in the process of locating lead. it is not easy because it guess the price is really high right now. and every garage I have called or visited either use their old wheel weights
I haven't had to look for lead for a while, but here are some thoughts:
1. Trade a local garage a couple lures for some wheel weights. I'd bet there are some fisherman working at some of these.
2. Try to see what the garage is getting paid for lead and offer a few cents more.
3. Motorcycle shops use lead to balance wheels. They might have some old stuff laying around, or would be willing to save some for you.
4. Shooting ranges. Indoor ranges are easy because the lead hits the wall and falls. Outdoor ranges aren't bad because the lead doesn't go far into the dirt. Pistol ranges, where folks tend to shoot reloads with lead bullets works. Make sure anyone that shows up to shot knows your down range.
5. Scrap yards...maybe.
6. Do you know any plumbers? They are probably replacing older lead traps with plastic or brass.
7. Do you know any roofers? They might be replacing some old lead flashing with new stuff.
8.You can still buy lead flashing at the hardware store.
9. Junk yards might be a source for lead tipped battery cables.
10. Next time your up in Southern New Hampshire, stop in and see me. I have some I will happily share with a fellow Striper247 member.
I've cut the lead terminals off of batteries, but I've never wanted to venture inside a battery. I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle. Be careful, battery acid is very corrosive.