new to surfcasting - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:53 AM
Pro Staff

Default Re: new to surfcasting

Yup. I haven't bait fished for a long time, but fishfinder rigs are the way to go there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2013, 07:41 PM
Official Member

Thanks Jeff... Hey any reason in particular you don't like ugly stick? I always used one to fish fresh water and I've read other posts where guys spoke highly of them... As far as the 7' goes ... Could I use it to fish off a jetty/ pier? Any suggestions on a pole smaller than 10' that I could use along with the 10'...something maybe to use for lures?
Old 04-11-2013, 07:42 PM
Official Member

Sorry Jake... Not Jeff... Haaaaa
Old 04-12-2013, 08:08 AM
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim Tim View Post
Hey any reason in particular you don't like ugly stick? I always used one to fish fresh water and I've read other posts where guys spoke highly of them... As far as the 7' goes ... Could I use it to fish off a jetty/ pier? Any suggestions on a pole smaller than 10' that I could use along with the 10'...something maybe to use for lures?
I can't speak for their freshwater rods, but every UglyStick surfcasting rod I've seen was built with poor quality components and had very poor action. The only thing I can think of to like about them is their price, but that's just my opinion and I'm sure many will disagree. Which is fine. To me, they are the K car or Chevette of surfcasting rods. There are so many other rods out there which are better, even budget rods.

That said, I owned both a K car and a Chevette back in the 90's and they got me to work and back.... almost every day. Would I go back to one now that I've owned something better, or recommend them to someone else? Not a chance.

As far as other suggestions go, what's your price range?
Old 04-12-2013, 09:15 AM
Striper Hunter

i have a lamiglas gsb 120 1m its a ten foot rod i dont think its a good rod for montauk but for a beginer i think it should do the trick
Old 04-12-2013, 11:21 AM
Wellcraft V20 w/ 150HP OceanRunner

Thumbs up Re: new to surfcasting

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm94427p View Post
also as far as bait fishing from the beach lets say any where between shinecock and island beach state park since those bottoms are sandy is a fish finder slider rig the way to go
Sounds like you are all set up and ready to go. As for the fish finding rig, that is the only way I fish (along with a pyramid sinker). Striped Bass spook very easily and if they feel too much tension when picking up your bait, they will more than likely spit it out. Wth the sliding rig, they will not feel the weight of your sinker (and also a perfect match for the Shimano Baitrunner reels) or the tension of a too tight drag. Everyone fishes a little different, but this setup has worked very well for me over a LOT of years. Just remember, if you use a float rig, you must keep your line as snug as you can, or your bait will float to the surface. Not a good thing. GOOD LUCK!!!!
Old 04-12-2013, 02:13 PM
Official Member

Thanks Jake.. I can return the 10' ugly stick ... I'm on a budget... Would like a pole under 100$... Any suggestions? Same type of budget for a shorter plug/ lure pole..
Old 09-25-2013, 10:55 AM
Official Member

Quote:
Thanks Jake.. I can return the 10' ugly stick ... I'm on a budget... Would like a pole under 100$... Any suggestions? Same type of budget for a shorter plug/ lure pole..
I would check out the tsunami series at Cabelas. Probably what I'm gonna get based on reviews
Old 06-26-2014, 09:02 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm94427p View Post
yea im getting pretty excited as i read more and more into it im thinking tho i am going to go the wet suit route starting as a saftey standard ive been knocked around by waves and i feel aside from the wadders getting swamped the suit would provide better mobility plus they float so that sounds good to me I'm thinking of getting one between 5 and 7 mm also i need a belt to cary my pliers knife i have no idea where to get a suit
If you are near the city check out http://www.leisurepro.com/, they have great packages and you can try on several to figure out what fits you.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:05 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

Quote:
Thanks Jeff... Hey any reason in particular you don't like ugly stick? I always used one to fish fresh water and I've read other posts where guys spoke highly of them... As far as the 7' goes ... Could I use it to fish off a jetty/ pier? Any suggestions on a pole smaller than 10' that I could use along with the 10'...something maybe to use for lures?
I had two Ugly Sticks when I first got into surfcasting, and they were just way too stiff for plugging.