Maritime college, Throgs neck fishing question. - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > New York
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

New York New York Bight - Raritan Bay - North and South Shore - Eastern Long Island -Captree - Shinnecock - Moriches - Montauk - Jamaica Bay - Staten Island - Western Sound - Long Island Sound The Hudson River

Old 08-31-2010, 05:30 PM
Official Member

Default Maritime college, Throgs neck fishing question.

My Son just began classes at SUNY maritime and I want to plan some fishing with him when he has some time off. I will be coming up from Virginia so any advise on whats running and when will be of great help for planning purposes.

Is it worth fishing from shore around the campus? It looks fishy on the point and around the bridge pillings.

We fish the Chesapeake Bay for Stripers, Flounder, Blues and assorted bottom fish but have no clue what is running when and what bait/lures will work best in the area?

Thanks in advance, good luck,

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2010, 06:01 PM
Striper Hunter
Pro Staff

Default Re: Maritime college, Throgs neck fishing question.

You can fish the point but you'll be better served to jump on a party boat(Island Current) out of City Island or rent a skiff from Jacks B&T( city island) NE of the school and visible by eye. Good fishing grounds all over, City Island, Harts Island(where they bury poor NY'ers), Hen & Chickens, Stepping Stones Lighthouse, Execution Rocks Lighthouse(historicaly significant-during colonial days when they executed someone, they rowed out at low tide, shackled the prisoner to the rocks and let the high tide take care of the rest).
Old 08-31-2010, 06:16 PM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcappy View Post
rent a skiff from Jacks B&T( city island) NE of the school and visible by eye. Good fishing grounds all over.
Thanks for the info Cappy, I will look into renting a skiff.

When will the fall Striper run be in full swing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2010, 08:17 PM
Striper Hunter
Pro Staff

The area holds resident bass year round. I'm catching almost keepers(25"-27") not too far away from there and 10# blues all on topwater. If things don't go too well shoot me a PM and i'll take you guys to one of my spots and put you on some fish!

When you rent the skiff give the guy on the dock $5 and he'll show you where to go.
BTW- porgy(scup) bite is red hot in the area!
Old 09-01-2010, 07:13 PM
Official Member

Thanks again Cappy,

I am hoping to get up there mid Sept and rent a skiff to fish some of the spots you recommended.

Take care,
John
Old 10-10-2010, 08:51 AM
Striper Hunter

hi im out of mamaroneck, with the drop in temp seems every one wants to fish black fish. thier are still stripers and blues, to be had... with all the bait in the middel of the sound you can jig under the bait, dimonds deadly dicks, and bucktail with pork trialers....., you can power drift shols with eels or hooges. any trying???
Old 03-29-2011, 11:47 PM
Official Member

hey i go to maritime and fish a lot around that area. i fish eastchester bay and the campus mostly. mostly schoolies around the campus but a lot bigger fish in eastchester bay. anyone know when the fish are going to start coming back into the bays ?