Putting on rod guides - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Rods And Custom Rod Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Rods And Custom Rod Building Discuss on fishing rods & on custom rod building here. Saltwater and freshwater Rods

Old 12-13-2004, 11:19 PM

Default Putting on rod guides

Can someone tell me how to take off a broken rod guide and to put on a new one or point to a site that has a good description of how to do this? I want to do it myself b/c i can't find anyone in the NYC are who fixes rods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2004, 04:28 PM
Veteran

Put some heat to the tip top , if you have a match move it around a little. Don't keep it in one spot.As the glue gets soft, just pull on it . It should come off. Then get a tube of tip top cement and put the match to it for a little bit ,the cement will get soft.I pinch a bit under my fingernail and roll it. Then put that small amount in the new tip top. Then I heat it up so the glue starts to bubble out of the tip top. Put it on the rod and turn the tip top around a couple of times so the glue get on the rod even. then line it up and you are ready to go. If it gets hard on you just reheat it. I alway keep the little tube of cement in my plug bag with a extra tip top. You never now.
Old 12-21-2004, 04:52 PM
Veteran

Sorry you said guides. When I First started I would use a couple of heavy books. put the thread between then to get some tension. If you need more weight add a book. Cut the thread on the old guide and put the new one in the same place. clean the spot off good and start. Get a piece of tape and tape it on and line it up with the other guides.Don't put the tape over the end of the guide. Start rapping up over the guide and then take the tape of that side. Do the same on the other side. If the end of the guide is fat, I grind the end or you could file some off. Make it flat,so you can go up it. To end it off get a piece of thread and make a loop. put the loop in the wrap about five or six strands before you come to the end and pull it through.