figuring out the Calcutta 400B controls and casting plugs - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Reels and Reel Maintenance
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Reels and Reel Maintenance Reel Maintenance and schematics - Discussion on spinning and conventional fishing reels - teardowns and hard to find parts

Old 10-16-2011, 01:36 PM
Official Member

Default figuring out the Calcutta 400B controls and casting plugs

Just got the Calcutta 400b, im fromt he lighter tackle large mouth world of low profile reels, so this round one is new to me.

First off, is the quickest access to the brakes, really to unscrew three screws, and pull the entire spool out?

Second, Mine came with green brakes. I understand that these have more braking than the pink ones in my low profile shimanos. Im casting max 3oz plugs, and I have to turn on all 6 brakes to not get a backlash. My first guess is that this reel is made to cast much heavier lures because I need all 6 brakes turned on. Right wrong? My Curado 300 has only one or no brakes turned on to cast the same plugs.

Last, Do people use pendulum casting for sub 6oz lures? Im trying to maximize distance with my plugs on my 10' 6" rod and Im not satisfied thus far. My Curado with braid and a shock leader can cast almost as far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2011, 08:57 AM

Default Re: figuring out the Calcutta 400B controls and casting plugs

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the casting controls on the Calcutta, but I moved your thread here to the Reel forum where it will probably get better views. I'm sure someone who knows the answer to your question will chime in shortly!

I do know that casting plugs on the round conventional reels that I have does require a more practiced thumb to prevent backlash than any of the low profile fresh water reels that I have. Also, make sure that your casting motion is smooth, starting out slow and accelerating smoothly. I don't usually use the pendulum cast for anything less than around 4oz or so.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:28 AM
Official Member

If I remember right it the side plate for the centrifugal brakes. The brake thing is your comfort level, but if you want distance you need to reduce the brakes. You can cast under 6 oz using a pendulum, but typically you want a rod of 11 ft that loads well for that range.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2011, 11:38 AM
Striper Hunter
Pro Staff

Access to the brakes is on the left hand side under the plate which should pop-out when unscrewing the knob under the spool tension knob on the right side. You should not have to take out any screws, when you loosen that knob, the sideplate on the left side should pop-out and give you access to the centrifugal brakeing system and you can adjust them on and off. For maximum casting distance you can do two things, one- adjust the spool control knob( big knob on the right side of the spool), to do this loosen the knob and with your thumb move the spool back and forth, now tighten the knob just enough to prevent the spool from moving back and forth; two- if your using this reel for casting in the surf( not recomended) and you want the maximum casting distance you need to remove the line lever, the lever that lays the line nice and even on your spool. One thing i did to my TE is I replaced the stock bearings with ceramic hybrids for higher rpm's on the cast.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:35 AM
Official Member

thanks for the replies guys. I still cant figure out how to access the centrifugal brakes without unscrewing all three right hand side screws (the ones that are retained with a clip and do not fall out when completely unscrewed). It does not appear that the left side plate/cover can be removed. Whats the reason for not using the calcutta in the surf? just curious. thanks!
Old 10-26-2011, 03:33 PM
Official Member

The 400B does not have the palm side side access that the TE has. Pulling the spool is the way to access the brakes. They should be a more or less set it and forget it proposition for a day's fishing though. I'm also new to the striper/surf fishing but in general, spinning tackle is the way to go when casting distance is the top priority. Feel free to contact me if you'd like help tunning the Calcutta for optimum performance.