Great weekend weather - trip with my parents - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 10-10-2006, 09:47 AM

Default Great weekend weather - trip with my parents

Many of us in Massachusetts got Columbus Day off for a 3 day weekend. I wasn't planning to do any fishing this weekend or even head up to the Maine beach house because it was my mothers 80th birthday on Sunday. But after the party, I asked my parents if they wanted to take the 88 mile drive to Maine, check out the foliage, and hang on the beach on Monday. They agreed. So the 3 of us (wife and daughter had other plans) made the drive up about 5PM Sunday. The foliage was beautiful and we made it just before sunset.

I opened a bottle of champaign, lit a fire, and we sat out on the deck watching the moon rise out of the ocean while listening to the new Dylan CD. After the CD was over, I noticed both of them had dozed off. I woke each individually and walked them into their bedroom.

As I poured the last glass from the bottle of champaign and sat back down on the deck waiting for the fire to die down, I wondered how many times my parents had done much the same thing, carried my brother and I into our beds after falling asleep. I smiled about the role reversal at this stage of our lives.

They were up bright and early Monday and after we got back from breakfast we walked down to the beach. I set up a couple of chairs on the bluff overlooking the beach for them to sit as my mother isn't very mobile and no longer can walk on sand, while I set up a couple of poles, one for chunk mac and clams, the other with one of Rocs surface poppers.

Just after I hooked one on the popper, I hear my baitrunner singing. I yell for my father to come down, put the rod with the popper hooked striper in the spike and set the hook on the baitrunner. I could tell it was by far the bigger fish so I handed it to my father while I went back and quickly landed ~18" striper on the popper. I waded into the water to grab my fathers 33" striper and as I picked it up I looked up and saw two of the biggest smiles I think I've ever seen my parents wear.

After releasing both fish, my parents sat there for about 2 hours watching the ocean and me continue to fish while feeling the sun's warmth on their faces.

On the way home they were pointing out the best pockets of fall foliage, my mother was kidding my father about the fish almost pulling him over into the sand, and of course my father was bragging that I would never have landed both fish without him.

I was so thankful that this great weather had given me this wonderful opportunity to spend some quality time with my parents. I'll remember this outing for the rest of my life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2006, 01:26 PM

Thats an awesome story Tony.
Happy birthday to mom.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:31 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

the way life should be!
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2006, 01:35 PM

Thats a great story Tony, thanks for sharing.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:30 PM

Thanks guys, glad you enjoyed the story. As usual I didn't have my camera with me which I'm really sorry for now.

Standing there on the beach popping Roc's plug, I'd look back to where my parrents were sitting, and drink-in the sight of them with their eyes half closed and their faces tilted back, enjoying the sun's last rays of warmth. And I said to myself, I've got to remember this picture forever in my minds-eye.

I know when I was young, I thought my parents were invincible. Now they look so frail. Even my father, who's in pretty good shape for someone who'll turn 80 the end of this month, struggled quite hard to land that fish. I just pray that this isn't the last season I've got with the two of them together. But I'm preparing myself cause I know it's gonna come sooner than later.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:16 PM
First Mate

T-

Stories like this always cause a gut check for me.

Hope I'm around long enough for my kids to experience
that stuff with me as their Dad. I lost my mom when I was
19... Sophmore in college.

If I had known she was going to die I would have been right by
here bedside... Still brings tears to my eyes.

She died Oct 20th 1986

I'm glad for you that your mom & dad are still around for you to
appreciate....

--cal
Old 10-10-2006, 04:27 PM

Sorry Cal, didn't mean to bring up those emotions in you. I know I've been really lucky to have been able to hold on to both my parents for so long. It's been a great run.

I'm sure your kids Cal will be fighting over which one of them takes you out in their boat, just like CC's two sons.