Florida - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Interior States and Landlocked Striper Forums > Florida Stripers and Hybrids
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 12-24-2005, 04:12 PM
Veteran

Default Florida

What should I be catching in Jan. on the west coast Siesta Keys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2006, 01:53 PM

I fish off Key West in mid January. Catch mostly Kings, Wahoos, Dolphin (Dorrado), and Cudas on the troll. On the hook or at drift it's gouper, cobia, amberjack and snapers. Saw, but never caught bones on the flats, only reds. Water is too cold for tarpon and snook season doesn't start until Feb 1st. Not exactly sure where Siesta Key is. January is a month where most of the locals bottom/wreck fish...groupers, cobia, and amberjack being the most sought after. That time of year Kings, by far, are the most prolific on the troll and put up a good fight and they're not too bad eating either.

Sorry for the late response CC, I hardly ever visit this specific forum.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:56 PM
Veteran

Off Sarasota ,right uder lido key I am bringing my rods. I will let you know how I make out when I get back.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:02 PM
Veteran

DB let us know how you do , Are you going all the the way to the end. Its nice there. I stayed at the Peir House the last time. Nice but costly. Watch the sun go right into the water. pretty. Fun place.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:31 AM

We have a time-share in Key West at the Banyon Resort. Been going to Key West for 20 years. This year, however, we're renting it out. I know I'll be missing our winter gettaway sometime in February...about the time I wish for winter to be over.

So you're gonna be fishing from shore? Only did that once.......caught one lone barracuda that almost bit my nose off as I was holding it up for a picture.
Old 01-13-2006, 02:43 PM

CC, you'll need a saltwater license to fish from shore now in Florida.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:41 PM
Veteran

I got one.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:06 AM

Well, what did you catch?
Old 02-18-2006, 10:52 AM
Veteran

For sure I didn't catch her. Thats a one bag limit Thats when you know your all done for the day. Thats Zims girl
Old 02-21-2006, 09:20 AM

Ya that's ONE of Zims girls. I've copied a lot of his avatars to my hard-drive. I figured they might come in handy at some point. At least that's the story I'm going with.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:15 PM
Lunker

Default Just Got Back. Big problems around Sanibel Island!!!!!!!!

I just got back from Sanibel Island. The fishing wasn't that good. I was there for a week and only caught a few good sized trout, a jack crevalle, a bonnet head shark, and a few sail-fin cats. There were alot of sharks. I didn't feel really comfortable wading out to cast.
I was told that part of the problem there right now is water pollution from Lake Okachobee. Apparently the Army Corps of Engineers is allowing sugar cane farmers to dump their runoff water into the lake. The Corps is then pumping the water from the lake into The Caloosahatchie River and down to the Gulf at Sanibel. This runoff is damaging the flats and forcing bait fish to leave to the north and south. It is also contributing nourishment to the red tide algae in the Gulf. Over the winter the cities of Cape Coral and Fort Myers had to send men out in boats with nets to scoop up all of the fish killed by the red tide.
Old 04-21-2006, 03:14 PM
Veteran

I read something like that when I was down there. I got some sheephead and redfish and some small snook in the last two weeks of Jan.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:13 PM
Lunker

I wish I had your luck Sea Sea. Were you in the Sanibel area?
My friend was about 30 miles south of there when I was down there and he had a blast. He got the in-shore slam (snook, red fish, and tarpon). He also got a 140lb bull shark. I saw the pics, ugly, ugly fish. I wouldn't mess with it.
I'm just glad striper season is just about here. I'm going down to the Race next weekend and I can't wait. This will be my first trip for bass of the spring.
Old 04-30-2006, 03:59 PM

My parents just went there about a month ago.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:32 PM
Lunker

Hey KKev, did they go to fish or just hang out and catch sun?