Sheepshead, and Triggerfish - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Saltwater Species
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Species Whatever else you're catching or want to catch. Cod / Tuna / Fluke / Blues / Weakfish / Tataug / Sea Bass / Flounder / Shark / Snook / Bonefish / Tarpon / Redfish / Barracuda / Sea Trout / Cobia, etc...

Old 09-05-2005, 07:10 PM

Default Sheepshead, and Triggerfish

I am going to start going for these guys because I love catching fish I have never caught before, what I would like to know is what is the best bait, I hear sandflees are good.

Second, do either of these fish taste good (I do like fishy tasting fish and oily fish so as long, as they have a better taste than a blue I'm sure I'd love em).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2005, 12:43 PM

Aren't Sheepshead the same thing as porgies? If so, yes they're edible. Never eaten them per se. I've had a fish chowder where the base stock was made from porgies and it was good.

Triggerfish I thought were a warm salt-water species found around coral reefs and only in peoples aquariums up here in the Northeast. If we're talking about the same triggerfish, never seen one in the wild north of florida.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:53 PM

I dunno about them being the same fish might be in the same family

Sheepshead

Porgy

Triggerfish I have never seen any around here but the report i was reading said they were catching them so I thought I'd ask, I'm talking about Gray Triggerfish By the way.

Anyway any tips on catching big Sheepshead or Gray Triggerfish would help me out biggrin_blue.gif I hear sandfleas are a killer bait
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2006, 04:58 PM

Default i like catching sheepshead

i cougth a lot of sheepshead last summer. they fight good. they seem to like bridges. i cougth 6 sheepshead under the long beach island bridge in my boat. the biggest one was 10 pounds. it was in the news paper with it.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:59 PM
Veteran

Default Re: i like catching sheepshead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52.8kayakkid
i cougth a lot of sheepshead last summer. they fight good. they seem to like bridges. i cougth 6 sheepshead under the long beach island bridge in my boat. the biggest one was 10 pounds. it was in the news paper with it.
I'll second that. and they say they are good eating