Help on purchasing a Shad portable livewell!!!! - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Tackle Shop Product testing. Terminal tackle and gear forum. This forum is here to help the new and experienced angler in making good decision's when purchasing new gear. Talk about rods, reels, lures etc. here. List tackle or gear that you have experience with so that we may encourage others to try. Index of tackle dealers.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:12 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Help on purchasing a Shad portable livewell!!!!

Love the forum just joined i have read topics on here before, but i need help. If any of you are steam plant striper fisherman that lovley dream is gone, we did fish below the Jhon sevier Dam on the Holsten river in Tenn every year, now they are using gas and no hot water discharge will ever come out of that dam or any other dam Kingston and the others are done...

And to the Question we are going to go to the Fort loudon dam instead in may, and we have a 14' Sea Nymth alu boat we had a 15 gallon live well too big a 10gal would be perfect. The problem is keeping them gizzard and threadfin and jacks alive, i have researched for days and we need a good livewell one i see that might be alright is a (keepalive 10gal livewell) with a keep alive oxygenator ka460, has anyone used this or is there one better to keep them alive i am going to use aquarium salt plus some shad alive i think it is called to help and some prime made by Seachem, it gets rid of chorline,ammonia,nitrites, and nitrates. i know to much flow will kill them and their scales that aerator has a filter to catch them. There is also a trashcan style made by liguidfishing.com it comes with a keepalive aeorator, and i could put styrofoam in it to keep good temp, or should i buy a igloo 10gal water cooler and buy a keepalive aerator i dont know what do you guys use to keep your precious shad alive thanks guys....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2013, 08:43 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Help on purchasing a Shad portable livewell!!!!

The small size of the livewell youíre looking for pretty much limits you to the keepalive. I donít know of any other 10 gallon well out there. I have used their oxygen infuser aerator pump and wasnít impressed. It didnít keep my bait alive. I use adult menhaden and hickory shad for bait, and the only way I have found to keep them alive is to pump in fresh water and let the excess drain overboard. I donít know of any chemicals that will eliminate chlorine and ammonia - you need to get it out of the well and dump it overboard, or it will kill your bait. If you can rig that well with a 3/4" inlet line with a spray nozzle, a 1 Ĺ" outlet drain line, and a 360 gal/hr pump, you should be in business.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:16 AM
Striper Hunter

lol it is 200 plus ship for that keepalive tank, lol maybe a 10 gallon water cooler with a pump would work with a spray bar, but since it is round i will have too use a water hose so it will bend with round tank. And i have some stuff i use for aquarium fish that gets rid of nitrates ammonia and so on i thought it would help fish i just want the best way to keep bait alive...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2013, 01:10 PM
First Mate

If a cooler with a spray bar works for you, fine. That would certainly be cheaper than buying a livewell, pump, hoses, fittings, etc.

Good luck.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:48 PM
Striper Hunter

I bought a 10 gallon roughneck trash can, and a livewell kit that came with overflow, intake, drain plug. Bought a aerator spray bar for the top ill use a tee so ill get flow from bildge pump that i throw over the side of the boat to both the bottom and top of can we will see how it works. Without the hose and the tee plus the alligator clips so far i have $97.00 in it.

Other forums stated were keepalive was not good enough for the shad you need fresh water all the time and since the keepalive is for $200 a 10gal minnow bucket i just went this route...
Old 03-04-2013, 06:58 PM
Striper Hunter

Just saw your post. I will just give you my two cents worth regarding your setup based on my experience with shad and trying to keep them alive. It would appear that you are going to pump in fresh water out of the body of water you are fishing in and constantly pump water out. I think that might work okay while you are on the lake when the temperature is cool. I think there would be issues such as what will be going on when you are running the boat from where you caught the shad to where you are fishing? I think that you would at least need the spray going to oxygenate the water a little. I think your real problem will be when the temperatures rise and the lake water you are pumping in is hot. It is easy to keep shad alive in the spring, but a real challenge during the summer months. I would think you would have to insulate the can somehow (sides, bottom and top) and probably would have to add ice to keep them cool. (there are lots of posts and info out there on the net about water temperature, raising or lowering, etc). However, if you are constantly pumping the water out, I don't think the ice will be effective. I have a 40 gallon Grayline, which is a nice tank, but we still have problems keeping shad alive in the summer. We always try to use well water to start, add salt, and keep the filtration filters cleaned out every hour or so. We add ice at times (but you have to deal with the clorine issue - you have to neutralize the chlorine by adding a chlorine killer (you can get at any pet store or store that sells aquariums and fish). Again, if you fish during the summer I think you are not going to be satisfied with your setup but I hope I am wrong. I think there is a smaller Creek Bait Tank that is 20 gals and Grayline has a 24. In the end I think you might be better off saving for a good tank with filtration. However, I understand the desire to make something myself and do it all the time. In the end, I just think you will have problems. I hope this helps. Tight Lines!
Old 03-06-2013, 07:05 PM
Striper Hunter

hello thanks for the post i went ahead and made my own if you go on youtube type in diy portable livewell it should be the 3-8 one down on the pic that shows video you will see a white brute trash can in picture check it out and tell me what you think????
Old 03-06-2013, 08:18 PM
First Mate

Nice job on the well! I believe you stated you intended to throw the bilge pump over the side. You might want to consider attaching the pump to the transom. They make quick release brackets for that purpose, so you can remove the pump when you get back to the dock. The reason for this is, when you run to your next spot, you may forget to pull the pump up out of the water. When you arrive at the next spot, you may only have a hose in the water. Ask me how I know this...

Let us know how it works on the shad. I bet it will work great.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:29 AM
Striper Hunter

i hope so i was thinking of putting a ball valve so water doesnt go back through bildge pump, and i wont forget i thought from spot to spot im just going to stick bildge in trash can let it circulate water then through it back in when we fish. Plus its dads boat he is too picky for me to modify boat, but i will be getting my own boat soon if i can ever find one. It must be that time of the year out of WV,VA,KY i cant find a boat for nothing i want a 1448 jonboat or a 1542 size boat with a 15 horsepower evin or jhonson, i have been in our local trader paper ol"Mountain trader was a no-Go and craigslist is a no go lol cant find nothing that i want boats are v-bottom boat or the older so called mov boats look like a all vbottom boat lol, And my favorite all of the motors are older than me and look awful. I dont know if i should go buy a new boat a 1448 lumnicraft with trailer and a 15hp 4-stroke mercury (114.00Lbs) for 4,800 i think or just buy a new boat and trailer and buy a used 2 stroke when i could find one lol any words of wisdom thanks guys....
Old 03-07-2013, 06:20 PM
First Mate

I'm a 2-stroke kind of guy...can't recommend a 4-stroke purchase. If you can swing it, consider the 1542 size, and throw a 25hp Etec on it. You'll have plenty of power, a 2-stroke, and brand new. Take care of it, and it will last you a long time.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:20 PM
Striper Hunter

You should make your own. I got this styrafoam box once from ohma steaks in the mail. It was about 20inches long 15 inches wide and i made a real nice portable live well for eels and everything else. Its easy to put in the truck i use a cheap battery powered pump and it works great
Old 03-10-2013, 06:49 AM
Striper Hunter

Thanks long i already made one you can see it on youtube under diy portable livewell it should be the 3rd to 5th one down the pic shows white brute trash can...