Input needed from some old salts... - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 10-03-2011, 02:50 AM
Official Member

Default Input needed from some old salts...

I just joined the forum and have found the forums quite helpful.
I bought a Quantum surge 50 combo a few years ago, and have barely had the time to use it. Now that I have the time to fish, I plan on using it for bottom fishing for tautog, blitzing blues maybe lucky enough for a little schooly striper again. Anyway because I mostly fish off of beaches, piers and rocks on Aquidneck Island...the bottom characteristic is very rocky.

Should I switch to braided line to combat the rocky bottoms etc?

Im considering retiring this rod to bottom fishing and getting something that can give more distance...The rod is 7', I wouldnt mind a decent bait casting /surf rod and reel. Any affordable suggestions (sub 200)?

Should I just save my money and rig up some braided line?

I value all of your input, Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2011, 08:36 AM

Default Re: Input needed from some old salts...

Hi Tug,
Welcome to the forum

Braided line is actually less abbrasion resistant than mono, but can give you a little better casting distance and you will feel your lure or bait much better since there is no stretch. When fishing in rocky areas with braided line, make sure to use a mono or flourocarbon leader.

The 7 foot rod is not going to give you great distance. Check out the Lamiglas Surf King rods. They're pretty decent and well within your price range.
http://www.tackledirect.com/lamiglas...surf-rods.html
Old 10-03-2011, 11:40 PM
Official Member

Jake thanks for the input! I will check that rod out online. Thanks again. T. S.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:30 AM

Hey,, just saw you're from Middletown, RI. I fish down that way quite a bit. Stop in at the Saltwater Edge on Valley Rd and you can check out some rods in person. I believe they usually have a good selection of lami rods on hand. Great shop and friendly folks,,, and always good to support your local business when you can. Tell them JakeF sent you.