equipment - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:24 AM
Striper Hunter

Default equipment

what are you guys using for surf casting rods and reels this season?

got new waders, was thinking of getting a new rod...probably st croix mojo surf...had one last year but shut the trunk on the tip....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2011, 10:27 AM
Young salt

Default Re: equipment

Just bought myself a 10'6" St Croix Triumph and will be pairing it with a Penn 850 as my main surfcasting application for the upcoming season. Looking forward to it, but sadly I have a good 2 months before i start seeing anything this far north
Old 03-16-2011, 10:37 AM
Striper Hunter

after i broke my mojo last year i replaced it with a premiere, which was ok, i think i liked the mojo better becuase it was stiffer and seemed to send the lure out better....does thule make a reel rack thing still or are those out of production?
Old 03-16-2011, 01:01 PM
Lunker

Got myself a Lami Ron Arra 10' surf pro paired up with a 650ssm. On the search for a 705 or 705z to penn staal though. Stryper Hyper, if you are ever up for a ride down to RI I will give you the heads up when the fish are here.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:39 PM
Young salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodpro1102 View Post
Got myself a Lami Ron Arra 10' surf pro paired up with a 650ssm. On the search for a 705 or 705z to penn staal though. Stryper Hyper, if you are ever up for a ride down to RI I will give you the heads up when the fish are here.

Sounds good to me Woodpro, I'm already chomping at the bit over here....than again, aren't we all?? I have everything I need (hooks, weights, leader material, swivels etc. . . .) for the upcoming season and am just waiting to hear form Saco Bay Tackle that my 850 is fixed (needed some minor repair/maintenance). All my leaders are rigged up and hanging in my kitchen, just have to get my reels spooled up and I'm all ready to go....and it's only the middle of March I'm thinking about hitting the Saco river a bit earlier than I usually do, maybe hook up a few shad??
Old 03-16-2011, 04:27 PM
Lunker

You're not the only one man, I am going nuts. Luckily my local ponds are thawed so some bucket mouths can hold me over for a little bit. When do the stripers usually get up that way?

Alex
Old 03-16-2011, 05:35 PM
Young salt

Quote:
You're not the only one man, I am going nuts. Luckily my local ponds are thawed so some bucket mouths can hold me over for a little bit. When do the stripers usually get up that way?

Alex
I caught my first striper last year on my daughter's birthday, May 25th, however I start hearing rumblings/early reports around mid May so I'm not 100% sure. The shad (or was it Aelwives, hmmm??) show up earlier than that and from what I'm told, can be caught pretty easily under the dam in Saco....though they're only around heavy like that for a week or so. Probably try my luck somewhere around the middle of May but don't expect to see too much until the last week or two I'm guessing. When do you guys in Rhode Island start seeing your first sign of fish, I'd guess somewhere in the vicinity of May 1st???
Old 03-16-2011, 06:12 PM
Lunker

Usually the beginning of may the schoolies start showing up and shit really hits the fan around the full moon. It does vary though. I will be starting this year out at the April 16th meet down on Staten Island.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:26 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Usually the beginning of may the schoolies start showing up and shit really hits the fan around the full moon. It does vary though. I will be starting this year out at the April 16th meet down on Staten Island.

Hey Woodpro Im out in Staten Island as well. Do you fish out of gateway near Crooks Pt? I also fish Manhatten st off Hylan blvd and towards the conference house in Tottenville. Where abouts do you fish here on the Island?
-Lenny
Old 03-16-2011, 06:30 PM
Striper Hunter

I just picked up a new 11' Star Rods Stellar Lite paired with a new Shimano Baitrunner 12000d. Really is a nice setup and chose the 12000 as im not a braid friendly guy for beach chunking so the 12k holds more 25lb Mono than the 8k Baitrunner. I only use braid for offshore fishing as it wont get destroyed sitting/chunking and being beaten in the surf.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:57 PM
Striper Hunter

think im going to get a new st croix mojo

probably 10 6
Old 03-22-2011, 03:41 PM
Young salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapinfisherman View Post
think im going to get a new st croix mojo

probably 10 6
My memory is a little foggy but are you the guy I gave advice to last year/year before about floating worms @ Chapin Beach etc?? If so, nice seein ya on the board again. I'll be down your way during the week of Memorial Day and plan on doing some fishing in the Chapin Beach/surrounding. If not, my apologies and welocme to the site.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:58 PM
Lunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo NYC View Post
Hey Woodpro Im out in Staten Island as well. Do you fish out of ******** near ********? I also fish ********** st off ********** and towards the conference house in **************. Where abouts do you fish here on the Island?
-Lenny
Hey Lenny, sorry I didn't see this earlier. I am actually from Rhode Island and have only fished on SI once or twice. Unfortunately I don't remember the place by name. Just fished while I was down visiting a friend. I would like to fish down there at least a few times this year though.

Alex
Old 03-23-2011, 10:53 AM

We are a bit sensitive on exact spot info Lenny.
I usually give everybody Paulies night fishing spot.
The pilings near the bottom of Harbor Road in Mariners Harbor.
The Kill Van Kull is ripping. You can get your bait from Scags - crab trap train shop - shitty sand worm - 3 day old bunker - shoe store shop on Tysens lane.

Sorry bout the thread hijack Chapin.
Just bustin Lenny.
We usually follow the bait and fish GK when the bunker show up in numbers.
The fish are heading towards the Hudson to spawn.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:29 PM
Striper Hunter

Hey all,
This season will be a Croix 8 1/2 Premiere w/ 150 VS for plug and metals

Also Croix 8 w/ Sustain 4000 if bait is an option