bait fishing - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts > Cape Cod Canal
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Cape Cod Canal The Ditch.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:09 PM
Striper Hunter

Default bait fishing

how do you like to fish bait in the canal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2010, 04:44 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: bait fishing

anyone here nobody goes fishing at the canal. and i was going to tell all the secret spots
Old 04-06-2010, 05:15 PM

Personally, with the exception of eels, I prefer not to fish with bait in the canal. It's usually jigs or plugs for me. You can fish those at any stage of the tide. Bottom fishing with bait in most spots along the canal is limited to the tide changes when the current slows, unless you want to use a huge amount of weight and still get hung up regularly. Just not worth the hassle to me.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:36 AM
Rubber Shad Ex-spert

Yes, you must wait for slack tide, or use huge weight. It's hard to hold bottom. I've seen guys drift chunks of mackerel sort of like a plug. Good way to catch dog fish.

Heavy is the word down at the canal. Do have a light rod in case you run into schoolies. They can be fun if you're getting skunked.

Lures are the way to go. Use braided line, and don't be afraid to go 40# test. I like power pro. Rubber shad always work good. And of course, no canal fisherman would be complete without the old fashioned Stan Gibbs pencil popper. The way to fish these is this: Throw it out into fast water. Put the rod but between your knees. Retrieve the lure steadily, grab the rod just under the stripper guide and shake it back and forth until the lure dances. This is easier to do with a fiberglass rod because they have the perfect 'spring-e-ness' to them. Typically you won't need to set the hook with this style.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:09 PM
Striper Hunter

3oz is all the weight you need
Old 04-07-2010, 03:22 PM
Rubber Shad Ex-spert

Curious to see your rig. How do you hold bottom in the canal with 3oz? I've had 9 oz bank sinkers get blown away like popcorn. Are you using pyramid sinkers?
Old 04-08-2010, 12:05 AM
Striper Hunter

cast upstream when you feel bottom pull in the slack and keep you pole in your hand.when its time to bring it in pull up quick. this does not stop all snags but it helps. some big fish have been caught with chunks of dead fish. lures and jigs are fun but bait = fish! one more thing no rubber gloves bring a rag!!
Old 04-13-2010, 05:54 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott7980 View Post
3oz is all the weight you need
Everyone is entitled to an opinion. I would suggest, limiting to 3 ounces of weight would not work for me. If fishing bait, I throw 5 to 8 ounces depending on a few things.

Very likely the Mackerel I was throwing would weigh in at 3 ounces or more.

To answer the original question, I will fish mackeral on an 8/0 hook, 12 to 24 inch wire leader, with weight on a fish finder above the swivel.

Typically anywhere from 1/2 hour before to 1 hour after slack tide. Depending on moon, and other factors.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:03 PM
Jiggin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpohlson View Post
Yes, you must wait for slack tide, or use huge weight. It's hard to hold bottom. I've seen guys drift chunks of mackerel sort of like a plug. Good way to catch dog fish.

Heavy is the word down at the canal. Do have a light rod in case you run into schoolies. They can be fun if you're getting skunked.

Lures are the way to go. Use braided line, and don't be afraid to go 40# test. I like power pro. Rubber shad always work good. And of course, no canal fisherman would be complete without the old fashioned Stan Gibbs pencil popper. The way to fish these is this: Throw it out into fast water. Put the rod but between your knees. Retrieve the lure steadily, grab the rod just under the stripper guide and shake it back and forth until the lure dances. This is easier to do with a fiberglass rod because they have the perfect 'spring-e-ness' to them. Typically you won't need to set the hook with this style.

Yeah 7' is perfect for those non stop October east end schoolie blasts!!!
Old 05-06-2010, 05:10 PM
Striper Hunter

last week when I past through the canal I did see guys catching stripers up by the train bridge and the far east end I still think you can beat live herring or shad.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:57 PM
Jiggin

There are bass there but nothing crazy yet, the guys on the east end are fishing for mackeral I haven't seen or spoken with anyone that caught down that far but its possible. You can add early pogies to your list of bait because some have shown in the canal, that said when the big boys show up it could get really fun.
Old 05-08-2010, 04:26 PM
Official Member

Hey Guys, hooked onto a keeper may 2nd halfway down the jetty on a live mack. looked kinda skinny but gave me a good fight on my light tackle