Middle Potomac River Fishing - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Chesapeake Bay
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Chesapeake Bay A sub-forum for the Chesapeake Bay and all its tributaries Rockfish Rocks.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:10 PM

Default Middle Potomac River Fishing

Launched out of Aqualand marina and fished near the 301 bridge. Found a nice drop off and a 20 foot flat a little out front of the marina. Caught a few Spot, Big white perch and a small striper, Also caught 3 blue catfish. Non stop action for about 30 minutes for me and the others on my boat. Moved after keeping some perch for bait and tried to fish the pilings during the mid day and had no luck. Ran a little down the river about a couple miles to a creek mouth flowing into the river, the water went from 70 feet to 20 and figured i would see some fish on the depth finder cause there was bait everywhere. Saw large schools below us, not sure what they were but couldn't get em to bite. We were fishing fish finder rigs on the drop off, with 1 oz weights and live perch, no bites, moved a couple places kept seeing fish but couldn't get bit. I fish the upper Potomac a lot, mostly from shore, does anyone fish around the 301 bridge or upper Potomac and know of any schools of striper's that stay down this way in the summer? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Ive caught little ones at fletcher's and around that area during the summer, but always undersized.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2010, 11:10 PM
Potomac Kayaker

Default Re: Middle Potomac River Fishing

No one responded... I fish that area all summer can catch a decent ammount of rock 16-25 inches. Last year was a really good year for us, lots of schools early in the summer, got pretty tough after that.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:11 AM

Quote:
No one responded
The post was moved to a new sub forum. The Potomac threads were getting buried in the Delmarva forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2010, 09:33 PM
Official Member

I've been fishing about 10 miles down river from the 301 bridge and I've caught a few rockfish trolling with 1 oz bucktails with no trailer. I was wondering what kind of tackle you have been using in the middle potomac for rockfish? live bait or lures? and have you been trolling or using spinning rods?

Tyler
Old 09-09-2010, 11:37 PM
Official Member

I have a section on my website, on how to fish for stripers on Smith Mountain Lake V.A. during certain times of year. I try to give daily fishing reports. If you would like to check it out, go to www.pullindrag.com, it could be very helpful.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:21 PM
Official Member

My brother and I have fished the waters on several occasions below the 301 bridge down to St. Clements island. We have caught 3 nice stripers. One free-lining live bait and the other 2 trolling with stretch 25's.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:08 AM
Striper Hunter

Anybody fished up this way yet this year? Heading out the first weekend in April for some trolling just seeing if anyone has given it a shot yet?