WIDE OPEN (mini) Striper bite - Cali Aqueduct - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Interior States and Landlocked Striper Forums > California - Lakes, Rivers, Bay and Delta > California Aqueduct
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 03-25-2005, 04:35 PM

Default WIDE OPEN (mini) Striper bite - Cali Aqueduct

OK, here's the pic from our nice striper bite...

Hope y'all are finally getting some sunshine over there...

Now on to the bigger STRIPERS!!!!

Any lure suggestions?

SabadoSky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2005, 04:51 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Got any bucktail jigs? How about tin squids? I'm asuming you are fishing from shore.

Is there any cover,rip rap? Bait fish present? you say medium fast how fast 2knots 5 knots? Unless I saw fish bustin on top,or had boulders for the bass to hide behind,I'd be inclind to soak a piece of meat on the bottom while I tossed a bucktail jig or hopkins,something to probe that deep water with.
bass in a current will be close to the bottom or near something to break the water flow,even if it means the very edge of the rip rap(if present) bass,even big ones are not afraid of skinny water.
If there is bait present,or you have fish bustin on top then you can ply the surface layer with top water plugs and soft baits.....
Thats how I would fish it on the info you gave.
For hooks with dead bait go circle for sure.
Others more familuare with your area probably can be more help.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:30 PM

It looks kinda like this :)

No cover, no rocks, just my bait, the water, and some fishes... although some grass grows at the bottom... and this picture does not have a gate point in it which is the typical hot spot... disoriented bait fish in the water... turbulence... and less current momentum...

As the measurements explain, there is definitely some slope to the aqueduct wall... which speaks to your idea about breaking the water flow at least a little.

About knots or fps... not sure... but I do know that when the gates are open the water will take a 6 oz weight down to the next county!

And in light current, it's still a bit faster than I'm used to... and unlike trolling with the bait directly behind me, I have to contend with the bait moving from where I cast down current to some other place... let's just say it gets confusing and frustrating to figure it out... know what I mean?

I do know that, while my apparent confusion lends to the idea of very active fishing... many people just fish the old "set it and forget it" way... but I believe there is a trick... hence my questions... :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2005, 06:37 AM

The results are in... I swore I wouldn't miss it...

Headed over to my buddy's pad a little after 6 am Saturday and we went in search of "the secret STRIPER spot"... directions were given to us by his drunk buddy at 1 am the night before so, as you could imagine, it was gonna be one of those days...

Bait: Dead shad and chovies
Tackle: A couple spinning reels loaded with 15 lb and a Quantum 400 baitcaster loaded with 12"
Rigging: Some twisted metal double trouble stiff tip rig with a clip for a bottom weight we bought at the one and only Bob's Bait Bucket in Bakersfield, CA :D (#2 snell knotted eagle claw hooks w/leader and 2 oz. flat weight)

At approx 7:15 we found a spot that looked like his description right up until we got to the water and found a very slow current with absolutely no structure, locks, gates, etc.... just a crapload of bees... beeeeeeeeeeeeeees!

So we gave it a shot... terrible weather, only about 58 degrees at 7 am and up around 80 by 1 pm, no breeze, sunny enough to wear sunglasses 8)... miserable I tell ya... I'm still hurting from the first sunburn of the year!

Spot 1: landed two (2) stripers, 15 and 16 inches, not quite legal so we tossed em back and kept calling Drunk Dave... 'til finally his wife answers (10 am) and we demand she wake Dave up... "Dave, where's this dirt road you're talking about?" "it's a little further up the road..." OK that's it, we pack our gear and head up the road another 200 yards and there it is... just like he described it, but different... not even a dirt road in sight DOH!!!!!!!!!!! Wasted nearly three hours waiting for him to wake up.

Spot 2: Chovies in the water... count to three... 1 - 2 - 3 FISH ON! 19" 2 lbs... now we're talking.
Count to three... 1 - 2 - 3 FISH ON! No time for beer, damn it! 19 1/2" 2 3/4 lbs...
and on and on it went until we could fish no more... we hauled in approx. 20 fish in the 1 - 1 1/2 lb 15-16 in range... and managed to tug four legals onto the deck... the biggest fish of the day was about 8+ lbs that never made it ashore due to a minor "tackle malfunction"... turns out my buddy has his drag buttoned down a bit too tight and tried to muscle her up only to see it roll a couple times, snap her head, and break off quicker than Dallas! But it sure was a good looking striper and boy was he PO'd! Next time!

We fished the secret spot for about two hours til the water stopped moving and we were done for the day... only regret is not landing the big one... but for California Striper fishing it wasn't a bad day at the office.

Happy Easter! My family enjoyed nice Striper Tacos tonight...

"Boy is this great" Flounder, Animal House

Pictures coming Monday...
SabadoSky
Old 03-28-2005, 12:47 PM

wow, sounds like a awsome day!! Thanks for the update.
Old 03-28-2005, 06:50 PM

Thats what fishin' is all about!!!!

...Keep them fishies comin'...great job... :D
Old 03-28-2005, 08:17 PM

Sounds awesome man! I wish coulda gone out there. 80 degrees! Its raining out. Its better than snow though! about 45-50 degrees :?
Old 03-29-2005, 11:01 PM

pic added! Now back to the boat project...
Old 03-29-2005, 11:28 PM

some nice lookin schoolies there, just remember the bigger the bait the bigger the fish. You must look pretty funny ridin that 4 wheelah Supposed to be like 60 here the next couple of days....shorts and t shirt weather 8)
Old 03-30-2005, 03:11 AM

Screw you guys, I'm going home.... eh! Home.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:11 AM

wow nice lookin fish. what are they? Never seen anything that small. specially back east. Wow they almost resemble stripers. :twisted: What are they called? Dinks? :mrgreen:

Sun? Whats that? J/K Im jealous. :mrgreen:
Old 03-30-2005, 03:16 AM

Hey, we take what's available... :oops:

I told my uncle (the local fishing legend) about the bite and he laughed... told me bout a trip he took down the Atlantic and never caught a Striper under 20 lbs... asked me if I caught them on a snoopy rod from K-Mart...

I'm just warming up to come visit you guys...