Planer boards + Bottom bouncer = success??? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Boaters Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Boaters Forum This forum is for boaters both fresh and saltwater. Trolling / Tips / Tactics / Maintenance

Old 04-21-2009, 02:13 PM
First Mate

Default Planer boards + Bottom bouncer = success???

Has anyone ever tried this?? My idea is to run my mainline to a 3 way swivel with a bottom bouncer or walking sinker for weight followed by 6-8 feet of flouro leader and a large crank bait or maybe even tube n worm... My thinking is that the weight will keep it close to bottom for the tube n worm and the pitch and roll of the planer board on rough waters up top will essentially jig the lure or tube and give it a wounded looking presentation. This rig has been a killer for me with walleye and lake trout in the past and i dont really see why it wouldnt work for striper but just looking for some words of encouragement from people who may have had some success with it.

thanks, Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2009, 08:15 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Planer boards + Bottom bouncer = success???

Tony, I have never tried that, but I will. Sounds like it will work. I will be fishin this weekend , and I will give it a go, I'll post back with results when I get back from the lake.I am just thinking of where on our lake would have a bottom clear enuf to do that, without gettin hung up. Good luck if ya try it also.
Jim
Old 04-23-2009, 08:47 AM
First Mate

Sounds good Jim I will be trying it as well, and will report back on my findings. Like I said, it was worked great for me with the walleye and lake trout and I really believe that the pitch and roll and acceleration of the planers would give your bait a very interesting presentation and could trigger those vicious stripers! I have been experimenting in the tub and I think as far as big floating crank baits and such, they don't make bottom bouncers big enough to effectively bring these large buoyant lures to the bottom. I do believe however; that with a large 4 oz bottom bouncer and a tube n worm or a suspending Rapala, bottoms down to 30 feet can be achieved. Looking forward to seeing how we make out. Good Luck this weekend!!!

Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2009, 06:29 AM
Striper Hunter

Hi Tony and all that read this, I tried this method without any luck from the stripers gods. But the snaging gods were very active. The lake I fish, has alot of timber. It also doesn't help that some Bass clubs, build cribs and throw them out all over the place(they are hell on a cast net).I got alot of them marked on my GPS, because when I find one I have to go buy another 10' net.Hope someone else had luck.