Port Jefferson Stripers! - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > New York
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

New York New York Bight - Raritan Bay - North and South Shore - Eastern Long Island -Captree - Shinnecock - Moriches - Montauk - Jamaica Bay - Staten Island - Western Sound - Long Island Sound The Hudson River

Old 09-08-2008, 01:24 PM

Default Port Jefferson Stripers!

Hi. I'm new to fishing in the area around port jeff and mt. sinai. I've thrown out some chunks at Middle Groud (Stratford Shoal) a few times but haven't had much luck. Could someone point me in the right direction on where I could chunk (or drift eels) for stripers in the area?!?! Thanks.

J.P>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2008, 01:43 PM

Default Re: Port Jefferson Stripers!

What you're asking for a place to stand and cast. Unfortunately that type of question is frowned upon here. It's like asking a guy who's weighing in a fish at a tackle shop "where'd ya get it?". Even if you tells you the chances are it's a lie.

Here's a cut n paste that explains the how and why of the spotburning issue and the stance taken, not only by this site, but by all of the better surf fishing sites.

For future reference - ask us HOW to find the fish, you'll get all the help you could want.

<Cut n paste of a series of articles regarding spots>

The Penalty for spotburning is silence.

Striperjim

For what its worth, SPOT BURNING is a long standing fishing community “no no”, akin to casting over someone’s line, flying through no wake zones, crossing rips, and motoring up on your spot and fishing your chum slick. It’s not much fun when 300 people show up to fish with you. I for one don’t appreciate the fact that some guys think that they are entitled to know your fishing holes and techniques because they demand it on a message board. General areas are Ok, even expected.

If you lurk in forums, never post and when you do, you ask for exact spots the answers won’t be fast and forthcoming. But if you ask how to scout a spot and what to look for and how to approach a situation very likely someone will take the time to instruct you as best they can. If you think that they are guarding some special secrets, then stick around a while and keep your mind open

This board was developed to offer an alternative to the chaos and posse mentality that can exist in long standing communities. I’m not putting any others down, I totally understand it when I see someone taken to task for a faux paux especially when it denigrates the efforts of that staff and their community. We here have chosen our moderating team very carefully. They have always been as tactful and as respectful as you could expect. I believe that this becomes a reflection within the entire community, one that which I personally take great pride in. These people are my good friends now. As good as any friends I've known my entire life.

Rock On!!!!

-------------------------------------------------------

Sudsy

I'm in NJ, the most densely populated state in the nation. Because of this we've been sensitive to spotburning since the days even before the internet.

Example, Russ Wilson (RIP) a genuinely nice guy and a great Tog fisherman burned a shore based spot in one of his free seminars back in the very early ‘80s - it just happened to be my favorite tog jetty. That was the end of it. From that moment on for the next few years there were always people fishing it Many of them ignoring the laws, keeping short fish and leaving garbage everywhere. The tog fishing on that jetty was never very good again. (then they pumped sand for the beach replenishment projects and ruined the fishing everywhere but that’s another story [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Owner/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtml1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG])
If not for the spotburn all of these people would have been spread out over a number of different jetties rather then focused on just this one and the fishing on that spot would not have taken the hit that it did.

We've lost a few private property spots that were available to us to park and access the beach after someone decided those spots should be posted on the internet. Almost immediately the empty dirt lot was full of cars and garbage. Of course the property owner fenced off the land taking away our access, and I couldn’t blame him.

More recently we’ve just lost parking access on a street fronting a very popular fishing spot out front. At this moment the town is even making an attempt to deny us access to the jetties. This reaction by the town was brought on by of the crowds of spring blitz fishermen that have been so out of control the past few seasons. Unfortunately many of these fishermen have shown absolutely no respect for the homeowners, leaving trash, blocking driveways making noise early in the morning………….. Spotburning and cell phones (a different subject altogether) are the direct culprits for this.

Over the past few years the bayshore has taken a particularly big hit. We’ve lost access to a few spots due to crowds and garbage. Each of those losses can be directly contributed to spot burning on the internet.

Besides, isn't fishing really all about the hunt and the joy of the chase? Having someone tell you exactly where to stand, when to stand there and what to throw is like going on one of those canned hunts where the deer are all in a fenced in area. Pretty lame if you ask me.

You'll never see an accomplished fisherman burn a spot. If you've been around for a while you'll learn by experience that giving up a spot, especially a small spot, usually means that at some point of time you'll show up there to fish and there will already be someone there. That person is nearly always a friend of someone that you opened your mouth to. Now you’re blocked out and unable to fish a spot you worked hard to find. Imagine telling thousands of people about that spot, that’s what spotburning on the internet is.

If you ask what to look for, ie; structure, currents, bait…... to help you find fish on a beach or point or inlet you'll get all the answers and information you need to go out and find the fish where ever you happen to go. Besides, asking exactly where to stand never helps much - along the beach fish move around - a lot. Just because someone caught a fish there yesterday does not mean you will catch one there today.
Most importantly, if all you know are a few places to stand, what are you going to do if there are no fish there next time you go out? Wouldn’t you be far better off having an idea of how to find the fish (and spots) on your own? Now if the spot someone told you about isn’t producing, you can go find a fish or two on your own (a far, far more satisfying experience)

The single most important lesson I've ever learned is "Don't chase yesterdays fish!" - All you ever get when you do is the old "You shoulda been here yesterday!!"

As for discussing locations in a post, 5 miles + is usually considered acceptable.
This is the way we do it in the Midcoast reports forum for the northern half of the NJ shore:
Bayshore = Parkway Bridge to Atlantic Highlands
Hook = Sandy Hook
NoMon = SeaBright to Asbury Park
SoMon = Bradley Beach to Manasquan
NoOcean = Point Pleasant to Seaside
IBSP = Island Beach State Park
SoOcean = Toms River to Forked River
For river or back bay fish just use one of the above terms and follow with "in the back"
Old 09-08-2008, 02:43 PM

I was actually not referring to fishin from the beach/rocks, nor was i looking for someone to divulge their secret spot. I was merely looking for an area, like middle ground, as to where i could try my luck by chunking from an anchored boat. Have anglers had success doing this at middle ground? etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2008, 03:23 PM
Official Member

The Middle Grounds usually gets going around this time, although I think the recent blow may put that on hold for a week or so. I like to chunk deeper in the rips there during the month of Sept and then I'll look for some 20-30 foot depths as the waters cool. You need to target rips and be sure to use a mono/floro leader.

The tides and wind you're going to have to learn over time, but don't think there aren't any fish there because there are. Also remember it can get nasty real fast there, so always be safe.

You could also try fro some schoolie bass along both sides of the jetty's out of Pt Jeff, with plugs or drifted sandworms.

You have a lot of bass all along there on the inside bays and this time of year you have a good shot at a keeper.

Good luck.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:02 PM

Sorry 'bout that, nothing personal

I don't know the area up there and the post did have that sound to it if you know what I mean.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:38 PM

FDNY FAN!!! Thanks so much for the advice.....will probably give it a go this saturday if it's not blowin' too hard.

Sudsy, no worries ;-)