Winter projects and hobbies. - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:43 PM

Default Winter projects and hobbies.

What are yours this winter?
For me its a workshop. First things first. Doing work in the house is out of the question. Tinkering with my reels and plug kits is one thing but a new workshop is a must. So its plans, permits, tree removal - etc. etc.
The ground is frozen and some other things need to be figured out for this now moved to the spring project.
I will be going to one or two shows to see whats out there, maybe not to spend too much money. The flea markets are good for stuff maybe Ill get lucky and find a cheap lathe somewhere.
A rod building class wouldn't be a bad idea.
When its not too bitter out I target shoot. Today looks like a nice day to hit the range and try out a new rifle.
The board is pretty dead today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2008, 01:08 PM
Veteran Elite

Default Re: Winter projects and hobbies.

building plugs trying some new ones (needles, little neck poppers, and swimmers) and rods and ice fishing and hunting and learning how to melt lead.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:26 PM
First Mate

I may build a rod here and there, but more involve in other hobbies like; cross country skiiing, pc gaming, antique shopping, mountain biking, and sleeping.

I still fish in the winter for herring or tommy cod.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2008, 01:35 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

For me, as in summer, it's all about THE fish...

After the last fish has left my area, I put away the boat, wash off my waders, rods and reels, make a list of what repairs need to done to each and order what parts are required.....once the rods and reels are stored and put away.. it's about making plugs for the up coming season... building new designs, trying to improve on what Ive done in the past...

I study my notes from the last 35 years, revisit the parterns that I am sure will occur, and make a battle plan for when the first heavy weights will show.

by mid April, remove the cover off the boat, do any needed maintenance and paint the bottom over the next few weeks and with a little luck from the weather Gods, I'll be back in the water May 1... and looking for that first fresh run schoolie that will show up between May1 and May8... they show every year between those dates like clock work....( last year I caught holdovers by mid april)
Old 01-25-2008, 02:08 PM

This winter for me is all about taking care of stuff around the house. I'm putting the finishing touches on new doors for the kitchen cabinets right now. Some things like light fixtures to change, shelves to put up, some water damage to fix in the basement office, boxes to unpack from moving last year, setting up the workbench, shelving, etc. in the garage, are high on the to-do list. Still need to find time to go through my gear and get ready for next season....
Old 01-25-2008, 06:55 PM
Striper Hunter

Winter projects hummm.....I've been mapping out the basement for a Man town/family room.My basement is completely bare foundation,so I'll be doing it from scratch & all,from start to finish,It has an open floor plan of 28X36 I wish I had the scratch and put an I beam in & dump the lally colums.
I hope to put a pool table & a 1/2 bathroom in.One major pitfall is my work space/area is down there so I have to vacate all my stuff till I build our garage....So I gotta put all my stuff some where

So down the road next fall I wish this summer,I can build my three car garage.......

Other than that,Febuary IM starting a 20 week electrical code class yeah 2 nights a week....
O yeah IM taking an online 10 hr.OSHA class

So,In what little time I have left,Im getting my fishing stuff ready,tieing all of my leaders getting more plugs,re-spooling reels & get new waders ect...... and see what eles comes my way

5/0
Old 01-26-2008, 12:23 AM

Getting back is shape is going to be this winters project and hobby.
As soon as my ankle is finally better (sprained it badly back in October) it's back to the gym. 4 months of very limited activity has taken a big toll - I'm falling apart here !
Instead of the regular gym it's going to be the local boxing/MMA place to get in shape and learn some Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Muay Thai.
Old 01-26-2008, 03:08 AM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

the workshop re-organization begun in the fall..and is still ongoing. like 5/0, my basement started out as an open space. ive divided it into a mantown type mostly finished(ran out of materials and cash)room and the workshop. untill the past week, everything was in the workshop area. slowly ive been moving plug building supplies and such into the almost finished room. the new area is where ive been tying bucktails, running the epoxy spinners, playing air hockey or fooze ball(foose ball?)... ive been fine tuning some prototype plugs and started some batches of last years prototype plugs i was really happy with over the past season. im searching for my own niche. as im building, im also still moving stuff as im working, which gives me good idea where to put things as im in work mode. ive also been experimenting with deer tails and fur. i was given a lot of hyde and bucktails from a few fiends. so far ive succesfully dyed some reall quality hair black, yellow, green, pink, red, copper, gray, and an a pale yellow color with a tinge of green..a really interesting "sand eel" type color for flies..at least thats what im told by a fly guy. cleaning the deer tails was a PITA, but i really wanted to know what goes into the preservation and coloring of deer hair/fur. its really interesting stuff. i have to paint and service my sons bicycle, finish mantown, string up a few guitars, then get my gear ready for spring.....as roc says..its all about the fish...plug building and going through your gear help keep you focused on the prize..the cows to come in the spring. as spring nears the threads will pick up..the gameplans will be reviewed, the gear double checked..the reports along the board will begin to track the fish as they move...we then will be again, amongst the schools of bass...looking for "the one".
Old 01-27-2008, 11:42 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimi4290 View Post
then get my gear ready for spring.....as roc says..its all about the fish...plug building and going through your gear help keep you focused on the prize..the cows to come in the spring. as spring nears the threads will pick up..the gameplans will be reviewed, the gear double checked..the reports along the board will begin to track the fish as they move...we then will be again, amongst the schools of bass...looking for "the one".
I hear yaI hope to get most of my plate finnished by late spring.Yeah right!
Im sure the Wifeie will find another project......

Staying focused,I've been trying to pick away on stock, gear,terminal thing's & other stuff I might need along the way for fishing in 08.

This year I plan on fishing hard and plan on beating the 50# marker.Bring on the fish!

5/0