What rod to buy?? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:07 PM
Official Member

Default What rod to buy??

I want to buy a new surf rod for this fall run. I have a st.croix 10' triumph surf rod that I like but now ever since my wife caught a 25lber on the beach she wants her own rod. So I figured I would give her mine and buy myself a new one. When she's around we mainly just throw fish finder rigs with cut bait or clam, but when I'm buy myself I like to throw plugs. So what rod do you guys think I should get? I was looking at the lamiglas super surf or the ron arra. You guys are the experts and I have learned a lot from this site so point me in the right direction. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2009, 09:18 AM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Default Re: What rod to buy??

Get her a new 8 & bait rod.

Ron Arra's for the price don't impress me too much.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:02 PM

Everyone is different and im no expert but IMHO the supersurfs are over rated. I heard of one builder who ordered 10 SS's to build and sent them all back. They feel stiff to me but I havent fished one and dont really care to either. But thats a personal preference thing.
You cant beat the lamiglas GSB blanks or their factory built counterparts. The 120 1l blank is the go to for many on the surf for tossing plugs 2 to 4 ounces. Its factory built equivalent is the XS 101 MS (Graphite surf and jetty rod) both 1 piece rods. The XS10Ms is the 2 piece rod. It will load a one ounce bucktail with no problems, bounce pencils and handle heavier tins. I also have a 9 foot arra and it does the job with eels and soft baits, feels smallish and flimsy but suprisingly has enough backbone to turn a bigger fish. Its not the go to rod but it does the job for what its asked to do.

This year I will be using the GLoomis SUR1266S and a St Croix Triumph Rod which is a decent enough rod for the money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2009, 02:23 PM

I guess we have a difference of opinion here. I have the eleven foot Ara, and it casts a freaking mile. It's light and perfect for 2 - 3 ounce tins and plugs. I gifted one to my young fifty year old nephew who fancies himself a distance caster and who mainly fishes the Canal, for his birthday. It's his favorite rod. It's a fast action rod, and you need to learn how to work with it. He loves it. I also have an eleven foot Lami conventional for bottom work. Love that one as well.

They are NOT inexpensive rods but well worth the investments. One old man's opinion.

DavidN.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:32 PM
Striper Hunter

I have a 9' St Croix Legend Surf rod and love it. I am now looking for a 10'6" of the same rod. I will stay with this unless I can try someone else's Lami or afaw

IMO most upper end rods are going to cast well. So look for feel and workability to what suits you. If I'm plugging all night I don't want a heavy set up
Old 09-08-2009, 02:39 PM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

I have an Arra and Love it. I have heard reports of the Arras exploding with a fish on though. If you are throwing bait when fishing with the wife I wouldn't bother with a real expensive plugging rod. Get something more suited to throwing lead. Particularly if she isn't with you all the time. Go for a heavier Tsunami or even a Tica Dolphin. Then buy yourself another St. Croix or Lami
Old 09-09-2009, 02:52 PM
Official Member

I love the st.croix rods.. Can anyone point me in a direction as to where i could find a 10" casting stick for a decent price. Website or something. $250-400 is a little much for me.. Thanks soups
Old 09-09-2009, 04:42 PM

Can't help with a location but..........
If you have the opportunity to pick up one of the older Ben Doer (sp?) 10' two piece rods - don't!
They had a nasty habit of snapping at the bottom part of the ferrule. happened to quite a few guys, myself included.

The new stuff is much much better -
They're about to come out with a premium line of surf rods that are effin incredible, pricey but incredible. Good friends are part of the design team so I've had the opportunity to play around with the heaver. All I can say is WOW !
Old 09-09-2009, 11:10 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurnygurn View Post
I want to buy a new surf rod for this fall run. I have a st.croix 10' triumph surf rod that I like but now ever since my wife caught a 25lber on the beach she wants her own rod. So I figured I would give her mine and buy myself a new one. When she's around we mainly just throw fish finder rigs with cut bait or clam, but when I'm buy myself I like to throw plugs. So what rod do you guys think I should get? I was looking at the lamiglas super surf or the ron arra. You guys are the experts and I have learned a lot from this site so point me in the right direction. Thanks
If plugging get a AFAW estuary. I mine.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:05 AM
Rubber Shad Ex-spert

I would steer you away from the ron arra's. I had a 9' for fewer than 10 working hours before the tip broke. The very first 1" broke, and then about 13" down broke just like that. I wasn't doing any full power cast either.

Just my experience, but they do seem incredibly fragile. I predict the line will be discontinued.

My next project is a Lamiglas Tri-Flex Surf 10'6" 1pc. Hopefully the blend of graphite and old fashioned fiberglass will work out for me. The blank is $160.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:52 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpohlson View Post
I would steer you away from the ron arra's. I had a 9' for fewer than 10 working hours before the tip broke. The very first 1" broke, and then about 13" down broke just like that. I wasn't doing any full power cast either.

Just my experience, but they do seem incredibly fragile. I predict the line will be discontinued.

My next project is a Lamiglas Tri-Flex Surf 10'6" 1pc. Hopefully the blend of graphite and old fashioned fiberglass will work out for me. The blank is $160.
Did you overload it?

I have had my Arra for five years with no problems and I am pretty rough on my gear.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:47 PM

I've yet to break an Arra as well, however I am extremely careful not to scratch it, especially on the rocks.

I also have a 9' TriFlex. Decent rod but way too heavy for my taste. I mainly use it for heavy jigging in the river.
My 9' 6" GSB (Surf and jetty series) blows the Triflex away in both weight and "touch". Much better for plugging.
The 9' Arra blows both of em away for plugging. You can feel every little nuance of the lure. Get the tiniest bit of grass on a hook and you know it.

The GSB strikes a good balance between the Triflex and the Arra. If I could only have one of them it would be this one.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:37 PM
Rubber Shad Ex-spert

Think it was just a fluke. I have NOT shipped it out to lami yet, so I do not know if they are gona tell me whatever.

I'm certain they will tell me it was my fault, but that is horse crap since I never once treated that princess like the .02 cent piece of shit that it is.

I guess I should cast more slowly, but seriously dude, buy a dang composite rod!
Old 09-11-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpholson
I'm certain they will tell me it was my fault,
I sent one back with a foot off the tip missing. Shipped the two together. I broke them both in the same morning. $20 for shipping both.
They charged me $20 extra for the one with the tip piece missing. You cant beat lamiglas on their warranty. At most they will charge you $100 bucks even if they determine its your fault.
Tell them the fish took you under a pier and snapped the rod. No rod can handle that flex.

Never a problem and never my fault.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:20 PM
Rubber Shad Ex-spert

Hey there Gurny. I finally finished (threw together) that 10'6 Lamiglass triflex. It's OK. It's definately made partly out of fiberglass! Tried it out this morning. It casts OK. I was throwing metal lip lures, so you can't really tell. After dawn I tried a cast master; nothing special. I can see how some might say it's a bit heavy, but that's fine with me.

The rod didn't seem to give me a chance to really feel it out. A few times It felt like maybe 3' of the tip would really load up then fire, but it's basically a fiberglass rod . . . another underwhelming rod to add to my bottom fishing (skate fishing) arsenal. I'm stuck with it for now. Anybody want buy a bait stick after the fall run? Say $150, reel not included? Could be talked lower?