should i use braided line? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 05-16-2009, 03:19 PM
Official Member

Default should i use braided line?

Hi I just got a new quantum cabo 60 and I am thinking of spooling it with braided line, I have never used braided in the past is it worth it or should I stick to mono? I have a tsunami airwave 10 rod and use it for plugging and bait fishing NJ shores?
What braided line should I get? Thickness? Brand? Color?

tnx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2009, 05:49 PM
Official Member

Default Re: should i use braided line?

I don't like braid either. it is great for black fishing/sea bass. fluke, no give, sensitively not needed/necessary for striper fishing, lot of people use it though; if you do make sure you tie the right knot; your standard fishing not will slip as soon as you set the hook. I learned this the hard way for about a year before someone showed me the Palomar (sp?) knot.

Jeff
Old 05-17-2009, 02:05 PM

The Quantum Cabo was designed with braid in mind so you can use just about any brand on it.
My personal favorite for a modern braid friendly spinning reel would be Sufix performance braid

The two must know knots to learn are the Palomar and the Crazy Alberto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2009, 09:52 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

that's an awfully big reel for plugging imo. but if your able to lug it around fine, but in all honesty, i would use mono (yo-zuri hybrid 20# test) that's an awful lot of braid to pack on that reel and i don't suggest 150yd spool of it. a 300 yd spool will set ya back 30+ bucks and if yer not all that familiar with the way the braid lays down and yer plugging with braid your gonna find out awfully fast wtf i am talking about. if you go with the braid buy the mono and have it as a backup as if your just totally distraught at the mess you've gotten into with the braid you can spool up the mono and be at peace. do your homework here and search the "braid" threads and get an idea on what is going on. take the time to really read up on what guys are doing when they fish it. you will be happy you did.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:52 PM

Quote:
new quantum cabo 60
I dont want to contradict paulie, He knows his reels but IMO The quantum cabo 60 is not really that big. 25 ounces total. Its actually similar in size to the zee 25 and the vs 250. ( But heavier than the zee25 rd which is 19 ounces)
It wont kill you to plug all day with it. I found it comparable in weight to a Van staal 275 at 24 ounces.
The Cabo 50 and 60 are the same reel with the 60 having a higher capacity spool. For weight comparison A baitrunner 4500 is 22 ounces.

Smooth drag . I spooled mine with recycled fireline from another i respooled with sufix.
The specs are 170 yards of 20 pound mono so 150 yards of braid on the 20 pound backing was fine for me.
Ill post up some pictures for perspective.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:55 PM

The 25 zee on the left the cabo 60 and a giant Penn 9500ss

The 9500 and the Diawa Emblem pro are beasts. The 60 is smaller than the 706
Old 05-18-2009, 07:42 PM

I've fished the Cabo, buddy of mine had one, let me try it out
Nice reel - the only Quantum saltwater product I'd consider owning.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:38 PM
Official Member

So would that be a mistake for me to start using braided line?
Old 05-19-2009, 08:35 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

not a mistake...
just be careful with the bail on that reel if you should plug with it.
not my idea of a plugging reel as it can get sand and salt in it and you are not all that familiar with it yet. wash it off after every trip if you choose to use it. check the search button and key in "using braided line" you'll wanna know wtf to do when you go out. like i said, your going to have to learn to cope with the random difficulties of beginning with braid but you will overcome them over time. 30# fireline for starters. power pro is a little slicker and tying will be a wee bit harder. sudsy's line choice is fine as well. and as for the pics jim? the best of that lot however is the roc plug.... where's mama bear and baby bear????

Old 05-20-2009, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbo1
the best of that lot however is the roc plug.... where's mama bear and baby bear????
In the Den.
Sharp eyes you got their meistro.
The guy might be fine with braid - just cause you wrap it around yourself all the time doesnt mean he will.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:23 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

nah, just other people. call me so we can plan the trip in june...

Old 05-21-2009, 05:23 PM

Quote:
call me so we can plan the trip in june
Soon. With all the traffic this weekend im staying close to home. Delaware for a picnic or something like that. Swamped - overwhelmed with stuff at the moment. I wish i could get out and about but health issues have me busy with other stuff.
Need a break from life. Pick a date when your off and ill work around that, has to be sometime after the 1st weekend.
Can also be a weekday if you can get off and it works for Joe.
Catch em up Paulie.

My apologies for the thread hijack.

Quote:
Hi I just got a new quantum cabo 60 and I am thinking of spooling it with braided line
I spooled the cabo with fireline smoke 20 pound test. 20 pound mono backing - Works terrific.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:11 PM
"Fish on"

Would it be a better choice, when trolling for stripers? "Braided" I use mono mostly, but was thinking on trying something different. I've used braid in freshwater.

Sensitively not and issue when trolling for stripers, i dont think? But would the braid add any advantage, or maybe disadvantages when useing live bait mostly
Old 05-26-2009, 10:24 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Braided line is not such a good idea for trolling imo. it's been known to actually unwind the braiding. and there is no give in the line so a sudden strike from a fish could yank the hook right out or on some fish like trout/weakfish/ rip thier face off. some guys do well using it. just use a quality barrell swivel to avoid any line twist. top shotting the braid with mono to troll with will give ya a dual purpose rig ie: can troll the mono and use the braid for bottom fishing. just make a loop to loop "one loop on the braided line on the reel and one loop on the mono that you keep on a separate spool in your boat. just loop on the mono to troll with. i'm not the trolling expert here but i do know braided line and what it can and cannot do and how to care for it to make it last a good long time.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:08 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

fyi. forgot to mention.....the cabo reel handle cap comes loose and if you are not careful it can come undone. and even though it is bright blue, if you lose that sucker your in a world of chit. prolly the only noticeable thing almost wrong with the reel i have experienced, and glad i did so i can keep an eye on that.