Splicing braid to braid? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Tackle Shop Product testing. Terminal tackle and gear forum. This forum is here to help the new and experienced angler in making good decision's when purchasing new gear. Talk about rods, reels, lures etc. here. List tackle or gear that you have experience with so that we may encourage others to try. Index of tackle dealers.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:08 PM
Striper Envy

Default Splicing braid to braid?

I know, I know...not another knot question but here goes...Has anyone been successful tieing braid to braid? I have tried samples of the blood, double uni, the albright and the slim beauty...The blood seems to work the best but was wondering if anybody had better suggestions. I am rigging up a Spinning rod for Tuna on Cape cod in August and I have a 25ft-65lb flouro leader to 300ft of 80lb braid and was hoping to add a 1/2 spool (150yds of 80lb) to it just in case. All set with the floro to braid....Seems the slim-beauty should do there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2009, 11:00 PM

Default Re: Splicing braid to braid?

I would never trust any braid to braid splice with a tuna on the line. Hell, I don't trust it with a sea robin on the line.

If it were me (and I'll admit to a major anal streak on these subjects), I'd bite the bullet, go get a bulk spool and fill the reel up right. Use the stuff on the reel now to load a different reel that has less capacity.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:48 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
I would never trust any braid to braid splice with a tuna on the line. Hell, I don't trust it with a sea robin on the line.

If it were me (and I'll admit to a major anal streak on these subjects), I'd bite the bullet, go get a bulk spool and fill the reel up right. Use the stuff on the reel now to load a different reel that has less capacity.

I can't answer the question as I feel the same as Sudsy. I know many who tie line to line to save money but I have never been able to do this even with 4 pound fishing line for Bluegill. Of course mono is nothing in price compared to braid but think how sick you would be to get a big Tuna and that knot break.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2009, 12:28 PM
Striper Envy

Alpha and Sudsy;
Thanks for telling me what I already knew but didn't want to hear. Sometimes I need a smack in face to wake up. I appreciate it. Unless someone chimes in with something else...I will bite the bullet and get a 500 yd spool.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:54 PM
Striper Hunter

I have no idea if this will work but was just wondering if you could add a short piece of mono or floro where the 2 braided lines meet and use an albright knot to attach one end of the braid to the mono and then repeat that again with the other braided line
Old 07-19-2009, 01:45 AM
Veteran Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublerunner View Post
I have no idea if this will work but was just wondering if you could add a short piece of mono or floro where the 2 braided lines meet and use an albright knot to attach one end of the braid to the mono and then repeat that again with the other braided line
You could but probably not a good idea especially for big fish. Spend the money and spool the reel correctly.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:54 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve/NH View Post
Alpha and Sudsy;
Thanks for telling me what I already knew but didn't want to hear. Sometimes I need a smack in face to wake up. I appreciate it. Unless someone chimes in with something else...I will bite the bullet and get a 500 yd spool.
OK, I thought I had read about doing this and I looked for it again. This sounds good to me and I am going to try it hopefully this week and will report back. Of course I am only using it on a reel with line I expect to get 10 to 12 pound Striper's on...could get the rare 20 pounder but doubtful. I had forgot about this article and I guess I will give it a try with Spectra Pro 20# braid. Here is the link. Sounds like these guys know what they are doing.

http://www.fishingkites.co.nz/fishin...hing_line.html

Regards
Old 07-20-2009, 12:19 PM
Striper Envy

Alphahawk - Thats very interesting. Thanks. Good stuff to know. Becasue my issue is dealing with a relatively small amount of braid and cost I will be buying a 500yd spool to be safe......however -

As a matter of trying to boost knowledge for everyones benefit, I was given a few links on this topic from another site and have shared them below. Good stuff and I'm sure some of these guys save big bucks in braid by being able to splice it together.

http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f3/best...aid-knot-2174/

http://www.swordfishingcentral.com/f...raid-knot.html

http://www.sportfishingmag.com/techn...ers-43571.html
Old 07-20-2009, 04:50 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Alphahawk - Thats very interesting. Thanks. Good stuff to know. Becasue my issue is dealing with a relatively small amount of braid and cost I will be buying a 500yd spool to be safe......however -

As a matter of trying to boost knowledge for everyones benefit, I was given a few links on this topic from another site and have shared them below. Good stuff and I'm sure some of these guys save big bucks in braid by being able to splice it together.

http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f3/best...aid-knot-2174/

http://www.swordfishingcentral.com/f...raid-knot.html

http://www.sportfishingmag.com/techn...ers-43571.html

I am going to also try one of your links about tying an overhand knot on the tag ends then use whatever knot one uses to tie two lines together...sounds like it might work. I never have been a fan of putting two lines together but I have one rig that I use 20# braid on for mostly top water below dams and I don't use a shock leader on that rig.....just set my drag at 5 pounds. As you try different plugs you are soon needing to add some line to get more casting distance. It does not take long to clip off line when you are fishing 5 days a week and trying different plugs. Being retired I do have to watch my money and this stuff...all of it...just keeps going up everyday. I don't have this problem with my Striper rig for the big boys as I do use a shock leader...hate using shock leaders though. The only Tuna fishing I ever did was while working in Saudi. We would chase the schools and catch them until we were too sore to catch anymore...they were small ones though...5 to 10 pounds. I can't imagine catching one in the 20 pound plus range.

Regards
Old 07-20-2009, 10:20 PM
Striper Envy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphahawk View Post
I am going to also try one of your links about tying an overhand knot on the tag ends then use whatever knot one uses to tie two lines together...sounds like it might work. I never have been a fan of putting two lines together but I have one rig that I use 20# braid on for mostly top water below dams and I don't use a shock leader on that rig.....just set my drag at 5 pounds. As you try different plugs you are soon needing to add some line to get more casting distance. It does not take long to clip off line when you are fishing 5 days a week and trying different plugs. Being retired I do have to watch my money and this stuff...all of it...just keeps going up everyday. I don't have this problem with my Striper rig for the big boys as I do use a shock leader...hate using shock leaders though. The only Tuna fishing I ever did was while working in Saudi. We would chase the schools and catch them until we were too sore to catch anymore...they were small ones though...5 to 10 pounds. I can't imagine catching one in the 20 pound plus range.

Regards
I have yet to catch one yet but 2 years ago I got the itch from my watching my buddy catch his 1st one on a spinning rod. 47"? and I think it was in the 40# range. Man what a battle. Can't wait till I hook up.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:48 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

i would imagine you could splice the braid into 100# dacron on either end but would be afraid of it biting the dacron and weakening it. or making a dacron spliced loop and loop to loop it with a braided line looped (not sure any cinch type loop knot is worthy). i too am skeptical of anything joined for any large fish.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:00 PM
Striper Envy

Below are some semi-scientific tests I did yesterday.
this was done with berkely 65# buggame braid.

· Blood knot with superglue. Knot failed at 19 lbs – No go
· Uni-Uni with Superglue on the knot. Knot failed at 41 lbs – Promising.
· * Surgeons loop to surgeons loop, no glue, never failed at the test knot in the middle but broke once at 40lbs and the second at 49lbs…40lb broke at the surgeons loop tied to the force gauge, and 49lb broke the line. I like the strength of this but not so much the size of the two surgeons knot.
· Overhand loop with glued knot to overhand loop with glued knot. Knots held…line broke at 40lbs. This really has promise.

If nothing else, good info to know just in case you need it sometime.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:19 AM
I had a BLAST!

Location: I'm from Manhattan, live in Ct, & my heart is in SOCO

When I want to add line, I add it to the bottom of the spool. I don't know how much line you will have out, when fishing. But even with Tuna, 900 feet is alot.
I have connected braid to braid with good results, for bass and blues though. If in doubt, ...........
Old 07-24-2009, 12:08 PM
Striper Envy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Z View Post
When I want to add line, I add it to the bottom of the spool. I don't know how much line you will have out, when fishing. But even with Tuna, 900 feet is alot.
I have connected braid to braid with good results, for bass and blues though. If in doubt, ...........
Yeah it would be added to the back end. Tuna around this year are tough to plan on. Sizes are rangeing from 40 lbs to 200 lbs. It's not uncommon to hear reports of guys being spooled by mistakenly grabbing a big-un.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:02 PM
Lunker
Pro Staff

Quote:
Has anyone been successful tieing braid to braid?
All my distance surf rigs run 20 or 30lb braid running line tied to a braid casting leader of 65lb to 100lb test. I tie back to back 5 turn uniknots with the smaller running line doubled, no glue. I have also used a spider hitch in the smaller to the same 5 turn back to back uni's, trying to keep the knots about 2-4 inches apart.

Largest fish landed to date are a few 5ft Brown sharks. Plenty of bass to 35lbs and drum to 45 inches (from well over 100 yards) on this set-up as well. I would not hesitate to use well tied knots in the appropriate test lines for your application.