Hello Everyone! Who here fishes in Boston? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 10-07-2006, 06:47 PM
Banned

Default Hello Everyone! Who here fishes in Boston?

Im obviously new to the forum and I wanted to say hi. I was wondering who in here in the forum has been fishing for bass around Boston? I need some tips, I have been getting them here and there but not with any frequency. Some around the Charlstown Bridge and a few off of Commercial Street using chunks of mackeral. Any suggestions would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2006, 11:20 PM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

I'm a little north, but there are some folks here that can help ya better

Old 10-08-2006, 01:13 AM

Hi jon
I was only in Boston once. Nice town.
Try fishing at night. All night and at dawn. If possible.
Works everywhere. Dead stick a head on one rod.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2006, 01:24 AM
Banned

Thanks for saying hi guys! Well I just finished fishing this evening doing the same things as usual, casting chunks of mackeral without weight. Did not catch a thing, there were a couple of hits but that was all. Its cold tonight so maybe that had something to do with it? Oh wait I did catch one thing....a small crab! Not the night I was looking for, oh well Ill get up in 5 hours and try again. Im not use to fishing for stipers like this. I had a good summer in CT before I moved up here, caught some 35+ pounders at night on eels in the race. I guess now I have to actually do some work to catch them!!
Old 10-09-2006, 05:27 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

eels aughta work in boston too. i heard of nice blitz action near logan. i have never fished boston but i know the north shore, salisbury and plum island is not too far of a drive. you could also get a map of the coast line looking for potential beach spots near boston. thats what i would do. theres gotta be a beach in boston with a rock pile or mussel bed, or maybe even a jetty.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:29 PM
Banned

There was a good blitz last night near the Charlestown Bridge, I caught a couple of schoolies using a white bucktail. I think your right though I need to find a map. About the eels, I dont know, some guys I have met say they dont work in the harbor some say they do.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:51 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

you would think they would, once ya find a few bait shops in the area, see if they carry them , if they do they should work. think about it.. if the local shops have em, some one keeps buying them, if theya dont stock em, i guess they dont work. supply and demand. it couldnt hurt to put a chunk rod in a spike and plug an eel at the same time...maybe a double.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:50 PM
Lunker

I used to love fishing Black Falcon Terminal in Southie, but last time there which was about 4 years ago a nice man in a Coast Guard inflatable carrying an M60 suggested I try someplace else due to its proximity to the runway at Logan. I feel that I am pretty good at getting distance on my casts but not so good that I can hit a landing 747 :) . I hear that it's open again, but why trouble to drive there if it's not. It's a long drive for me.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:23 PM
First Mate

Jon,

Don't know your proximity to Winthrop. However, there's a few really
good locations on the north side.

Look on a map and find the five sisters... Rock island breakers.
You can wade out to them at low tide without any problem at all.
The far right(East) is the shallowest area.

Most boats go right to faun bar and skip over the sisters...Can't figure
that one out... Anyway, good luck.

Santini's bait shop is in Chelsea...If they don't have eels I'd be shocked.

--cal
Old 10-15-2006, 12:39 PM
Banned

Default Re: Hello Everyone! Who here fishes in Boston?

Thanks Everyone,

Well I finally figured out a pattern and stuck with it. Between Wensday and Thursday night I caught 15 strippers ranging from 18-30 inches. I found out that when the tide is going out, they pump water from the charles river out (right were the charlestown bridge is) Well when that happens the strippers go nuts. Wensday night in the rain I caught 10 using a red and white bucktail with a slug go on it. Thursday night before the cold front went through I was catching them topwater with a slug go rigged waitless. So now I feel better! The boring nights of maybe catching one seem to be over. Although I need to buy gear specifically for this fishing. My 6'6 freshwater bass rod is broken (I Snapped the tip pulling a stripper in) and the reel is pretty much smoked but who cares because I was catching them!
Old 10-17-2006, 01:02 PM

I am a bit south of Boston and have been fishing the South Shore for 15+ years. If you venture this way (Hingham - Plymouth) there are several good areas that produce. My favorites are the North River (Scituate / Marshfield). 4th Cliff has a military reserve base that you can access. Just open the gate, drive in and close the gate. I have never had a problem. Easy to get down to the mouth from there. Chunks, eels and plugs work well - watch out for the rock snags.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:56 AM
Banned

Thanks for the info. Have you been catching them latly over at that base? I haven't gone in a couple days. Im waiting for the earlier christmas package from Cabela's to come. Needed to restock bad!!! Oh and what is 4th Cliff?
Old 10-18-2006, 12:09 PM

Yo seem to be on the right track.
Keep working those river systems, Mystice, Neponsanat etc.
Also try Deer Island, UMASS Casle Island. These are very productive.
Good luck. Boston Harbor is a great place to fish.

Also, if you can get out to the harbor island(there is a shuttle boat that will take you out there for 12 bucks.) go there.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:24 PM

Haven't been there lately, but my Brother-in-Law has - some good activity. Fourth Cliff is at the end of Humarock (part of Scituate). This is where the North and South Rivers meet and flow to the ocean. Here is a link that describes the base:
http://www.hanscom.af.mil/svs/fourth...map_photo.aspx

As I said, you should not have any problems going in and fishing here - just respect the military personel that use this recreation facility. Also - there are several spots to fish the North river from shore. Incoming high and outgoing high tides produce the best.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:14 PM

Bump up an old thread day