Frustrated Boston Harbor Fisherman - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 06-01-2010, 08:45 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Frustrated Boston Harbor Fisherman

So for 3 years I have owned a boat. I currently have a 20 foot center console boat. I live in braintree and go out of weymouth back river. In my 3 years of fishing off the boat I have only caught about 3 fish 1 striper and 2 blues. I have gone out over 50 times no exaggeration. Mostly real early in the morning. I grew up fishing trout up in NH in N Conway at about 5 yrs old when my grandfather taught me. I have a fish finder/ gps. I know the islands in the area. I usually use clams/chunk bait mackerel etc..and drift behind the islands. I was told that was good, but I never have any luck. I always ask rick at the bait shop over the fore river bridge. Last week he told me in the back river weymouth or hingham. I spent 8 hours and not even a bite. I do have a livewell but have no idea how to find live bait. I have sabiki rigs but never pull anything up. Once I have used a trouble hook when the fish were at the top of the water as we noticed 30 boats and 100's of birds catching live bait but had not luck trolling the live bait. Any help would be great. I also have used tube and worm but no luck. It seems that I am not fishing the right spots. I am not looking to steal any secret spots just catch a few fish this summer. My grandfather would be so pissed at me if he knew how bad my luck/general skills as a fisherman has been fishing!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2010, 09:40 PM
Official Member

Default Similar story here...

I've got an 18 foot center console wooden skiff out of the Back River.
Originally launched in 2006, my 10 pot lobster permit keeps me busy.

This time of year, I usually use a sabiki to catch harbor pollack for my traps, but haven't found them yet.

Previously, most of my fishing for stripers and blues was limited to chunking the canal at all hours, it took me many years to catch that 1st 36"+.
I took my father to the canal about 15 years ago. His 1st cast (which I made) got him a 35-1/2" striper, which he wouldn't let me step on to make legal.

I learn a little something new with each boat trip.
Good things will come, once you put in the time.

Some days the fish are tough to find or to entice.

Last Saturday and yesterday we launched at 6 AM and headed straight out for the Graves. Saturday's drift was NE to SW, Monday's was SE to NW.

We criss crossed the same areas each day with very different results.
Saturday, I could've filled a cooler with mackerel caught on a sabiki with #8 hooks, but stopped at about two dozen when my buddy started to haul in short cod, and had to show him how to get the big ones.

We had about 18 sea worms and a few clams. I used flounder rigs while he used a circle hook. The tally was 24 short cod, 3 keepahs up to 27", a few sea robins, a ling cod.

Monday we brought the arsenal, 4 dozen freshly dug sea worms. Only a few short cod and 9 mackerel, more caught by letting it drift than actual jigging.

The wind picked up so we chunked and wormed at normally productive areas around the harbor and islands, ducking the wind. The mac chunks proved that the dogfish have arrived, not to mention large skate on sea worms,no blues. The macs will scatter when they also show up, which could be any day or a few weeks if we're lucky.

I live lined mackerel both days on the drift with one missed hit.

Last season my only keepah striper came on a fresh poagie drifted along the bottom. Once the seiners vacuumed up all of the poagies off Wollaston last year, there was no reason for the stripers to stay.

Now that the boat traffic is picking up, the best bet is to launch as early as possible and hope to find some stripers nosing on the flats or laying in ambush behind boulders.

PM me if you can, I can give you a few more specifics.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:42 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Frustrated Boston Harbor Fisherman

I fish the harbor a lot and it took me awhile to find the fish. my best advice is to take a day and drive around scouting spots and try different tides. I like outgoing the best. Next be observant, and make note of where other boats are fishing and see what they are using. the fish are there you just need to try different tactics until you find one that works.

Last edited by mlc20; 06-01-2010 at 10:43 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2010, 12:53 AM
Striper Hunter

Thx for the advice. I am planning on heading out this week. I will let you know how I do. I am looking to catch anything. I am going to try some seaworms. What do you use to catch cod? and or flounder? I heard that they are pretty prevalent in the harbor. I am always to shy to ask someone where there spots are or or what to use etc.. Thx so much for your help!!
Old 06-02-2010, 12:57 AM
First Mate

Waking up early sucks the big one...Sleep in, buy some eels and drift them in the rips just as the sun is setting until your tired of it. there's plenty of spots out there to try. Chunking can work but I'd also give tubing another try. Sandworms and slooooowwwwwwww trolling. I like 20 feet of water with a two ounce weight. Make sure your taping bottom as many times my fish come right after I do. Both tubing and eeling. Its gonna be soon that the biguns are in.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:56 PM
swabbie

Use live bait it works the best. You can get harbor pollack off any of the outer ledges on sabiki rigs. Macks more around in deeper water near the outer islands.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:09 AM
Striper Hunter

Thx for the info guys!! I am going to be going out Saturday morning!! I am thinking about going out to the graves(now that I know where it is). I am going to try to jig up some live bait via sabiki rig and if that fails then troll 2 tube and worms!!!! Again I thank you and if anyone else has any advice and wants me to keep it secret PM me. I will post pictures of whatever I catch as you guys are the ones who ultimately led me to the fish!!!!! I am praying for just one striper..doesnt have to be a keepah!!!!
Old 06-05-2010, 06:37 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonfisher View Post
Use live bait it works the best. You can get harbor pollack off any of the outer ledges on sabiki rigs. Macks more around in deeper water near the outer islands.
Ok so I am still a frustrated fisherman...I did make some progress. I caught about 15 mackeral using a sabiki rig and popped them in the live well. They were all pretty big about 12 inches long. I live lined them on 3 different poles all at different depths with no luck. There was about 4 boats around me off and on and all 4 boats brought in good size fish...talk about frustrating.... A few questions. How do you hook your live fish? Do you cut them so they bleed? Do you use a weight to carry them down? How deep do you fish if you are in 90 ft of water? Thanks again for all of the help guys I can surely use it!!!!!
Old 06-05-2010, 11:06 PM
Official Member

Default You were the bait

When I pulled up next to you my fish finder screamed for 20 minutes.

I apologize for sitting on your stern, but I've never seen such a heavy concentration of bait.

It must've been poagies.

The fish were at 50 feet in 90 feet of water, no bites, two sabikis, two dead sticked mackerel at varying depths.

I scooted 2 miles southeast, to 110 feet, it was a desert out there.

Earlier I missed a striper hitting my free swimming herring, I forgot I had a circle hook on and blew it by trying to set the hook.

Tomorrow I go where there are no fish, about 50 miles south, with rain gear, a few bags of fresh mackerel, and Avantis.

Some day we'll figure it out.