lipless swimmer - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Plugs and Plug Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Plugs and Plug Building This is our lure and plug building forum.

Old 02-27-2010, 03:54 AM
Official Member

Default lipless swimmer

how do you make one...like a triple fish or the 3:16 trout?

is it just wood and weighted or....what...

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2010, 03:57 AM
Official Member

Default Re: lipless swimmer

like these...

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/22nd_...page-CTTS.html

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/TyLur...T8.html#pImage
Old 02-27-2010, 11:44 AM

Check out the plug making tutorial forum below this one. There is a tutorial on a christmas carving that will show you how to hand carve a jointed lure. It can take years to master the art of proper weighting.
I attempted the hand carved jointed one but i was too embarassed to show the final picture. Alternately pick up some plug building kits from the guys at NJtackle.com - or cape cod tackle or saltybugger. This will provide some teaching through learning the assembly of the various parts.
Read all of Roccus' tutorials to get a feel.
Not that he's the only builder here, but he has shared his valuable time and vast wealth of knowledge and experience with his tutorials.
They are a must read. Some searching can bring you some more info on lipless swimmers and weighting as well.
https://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/forumdisplay.php?f=178
https://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/sh...hlight=jointed
Old 02-27-2010, 12:58 PM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

Roc's tutorial got me on my way to building my own. Just be careful it turns into a major addiction fed with imagination and hard work the sky can be your limit. Lipless swimmers and darters can be th most difficult plugs to make on your own just because they need to be almost perfect to swim right. That Being said have fun with it and don't get discouraged. There is no greater feeling than having a fish take an offering you made yourself.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:27 PM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperjim View Post
Check out the plug making tutorial forum below this one. There is a tutorial on a christmas carving that will show you how to hand carve a jointed lure. It can take years to master the art of proper weighting.
I attempted the hand carved jointed one but i was too embarassed to show the final picture. Alternately pick up some plug building kits from the guys at NJtackle.com - or cape cod tackle or saltybugger. This will provide some teaching through learning the assembly of the various parts.
Read all of Roccus' tutorials to get a feel.
Not that he's the only builder here, but he has shared his valuable time and vast wealth of knowledge and experience with his tutorials.
They are a must read. Some searching can bring you some more info on lipless swimmers and weighting as well.
https://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/forumdisplay.php?f=178
https://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/sh...hlight=jointed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackbass View Post
Roc's tutorial got me on my way to building my own. Just be careful it turns into a major addiction fed with imagination and hard work the sky can be your limit. Lipless swimmers and darters can be th most difficult plugs to make on your own just because they need to be almost perfect to swim right. That Being said have fun with it and don't get discouraged. There is no greater feeling than having a fish take an offering you made yourself.

im not a noob at building plugs...just the lip less ones...i dont get how they swim.

heres one im working on perfecting at the moment but it has a clear lip. i want to make somthing more real looking...

Old 02-28-2010, 09:13 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackbass View Post

You nailed that one right on the head.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:54 PM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhill View Post
im not a noob at building plugs...just the lip less ones...i dont get how they swim.

heres one im working on perfecting at the moment but it has a clear lip. i want to make somthing more real looking...

Thats a beauty. Nice work. I will be honest with you I have been building needles, poppers, metal lips, and stuff like that.

I have been working on a bottle design all winter which I consider a lipless swimmer I have it close but not perfect. Best of luck.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:32 PM
Official Member

im talking about this type. theres no diving lip. just the bait itself wieghted some how.