new line of RIO surf leaders - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers on the Fly
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers on the Fly Discuss fly fishing for Striped Bass here. Fly tying, tips, tricks, reports, etc. Everything fly!

Old 06-26-2009, 12:31 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Default new line of RIO surf leaders

fisher.
IDAHO FALLS, June 1st, 2009 - RIO has a strong reputation for developing innovative fly lines, leaders and tippet material. Continuing this trend, RIO Products is proud to announce the launch of a selection of new leaders designed specifically for the demands of saltwater, salmon and steelhead fly fishing.
For the saltwater fly fisher, RIO has developed two new leaders that enhance the fly fisher's experience and improves casting performance:
The new Surf Leader is a short, 5ft, clear nylon leader that is made with a stiffer material than standard leaders. The extra stiffness, combined with the unique taper design, will throw large flies easily into unfriendly winds. The surf leaders are ideal for anglers wading in the surf, or for any other casting conditions where unfriendly winds are present and large flies a necessity.
The new Bonefish/Saltwater 100% Fluorocarbon leaders are 9ft long and feature a proprietary taper that has been carefully designed to cope with ever present winds and medium size and weight flies. Each leader features a neat perfection loop on the butt end for fast rigging. Since fluorocarbon is far less visible underwater these leaders are the perfect choice for spooky fish and in clear shallow water flats.
For the freshwater angler, the new Steelhead/Salmon 100% Fluorocarbon leaders have been added to the RIO leader product line. These leaders are 10 ft long and feature a perfection loop in the butt end. They have high abrasion resistance and great knot strength and are ideal for summer run fish in low, clear water conditions.
The Surf leaders are available with a tippet strength between 6lb and 20 lb and have a manufacturer's recommended sale price of $4.75. The Bonefish/saltwater fluorocarbon leaders have a tippet strength between 8 lb and 20 lb and a recommended price of $10.95, while the Salmon/Steelhead fluorocarbon leader is also available with a tippet strength between 8 lb and 20 lb with a recommended retail price of $10.95 All these leaders are available from Authorized RIO dealers.
For more details or information contact: Simon Gawesworth, [email protected] or Zack Dalton, [email protected] or check out the RIO Products web site at: www.rioproducts.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2009, 09:28 AM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Default Re: new line of RIO surf leaders

I wonder, how many here actually buy tapered leaders? Even 20# sets my fingers to trembling at the though.
The above doesn't mention length, except for 1 ten footer. Does that seem long?

Generally, my leaders are 20 to 30#. Sometimes fluoro, sometimes Ande or some other bulky mat'l. for abrasion.

I NEVER use 10' in big saltwaters... anywhere.
Many of my sparce(?) flies are 7 to 11 inches long and my leader lengths rarely get to 4 ft. unless I've gone with droppers. Then maybe 5-5 1/2 max. for the surf or other big water.
And yes, I've been knowwn to go 50# on a blue blitz too.

In the ponds I may go 4-6', 15-20# but that's expecting smaller fish and not much for blues. But, I rarely fish ponds anyways.

By going this way and cutting my forward tapers way back on the fly line, I seem to be able to turn / cast into the wing and surf much more easily.

What say yee? Am I all screwed up or what? ()
Old 06-27-2009, 12:32 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

i use a 7 foot tapered 20# with some of the end cut off as that is way too lean. it's like 6'. the long leaders are for spey rods. they are not specific in that regard but anything they come up with is largly geared up for spey application. i asked simon about certain leaders at certain lengths while at somerset and he actually turned me onto dyneema as a leader... for trout and salmon i can see it but, he say's "in the surf the hookset is instant" and is all he now uses "go figure" as this is a new item they are pluggin.. but i won't use a 20# off the boat that's for sure.. i attempted the braid but it collapsed in a strong wind. frig that noise, i need fluorocarbon and these new ones may be right up my alley.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2009, 12:43 AM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Talking about braid ---
Ever tried the mono braid? Makes a nice shocker for fluoro.
I've been in a pinch where I was using lead fly wire inside for a make shift sink tip. It actually worked quite well too.
Kind of a funky turn over perhaps. But save a few skunkings.
Easy way to go deeper, just add more wire.
However, with cold wet fingers it didn;t come back out so easy.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:39 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

no, but speaking of braid, i had a little splicing tool made by cortland that i tied a blind splice for my reels and i can't seem to find that lil bugger.. i have got to get away from the gel spun as i don't really need as much as i have on the reel but got a taste of what that chit will do to my finger. i'd rather have the dacron and it's easy to splice. but if ya seen how small the tool is you'd laugh...things i need list...

Old 06-29-2009, 08:59 AM
Bass Master

Im still kind of figuring out what works best for my setup as far as leader/tippet is concerned. Right now I typically will fish shorter (3-5 foot) 15# tapered leaders on heavier or more wind resistant flies like clousers, poppers, or large bunker patterns (5/0 6/0). I find I'm able to turn the heavy flies over easier on shorter length leaders. When it comes to tossing decievers, flatwings, or any other lighter fly with a smaller profile to the breeze I go for a longer setup. Usually 7-8 feet of 15# leader material tied to a couple feet of 20# tippet making a 9-10 foot mono segment before my fly line. (I dont know if my logic makes any sense as far as length to fly weight, but it's what's working ok for me right now)

I have never tried any of RIOs stuff but those leaders make a lot of the same claims as most tapered leaders. "Casts well in the wind" "Good for tose tricky situations" etc etc... its all marketing. Mono is mono, yes tapers vary, but if you find out what works for you and your casting style and you'll be golden. Fishing is great (fly fishing more so) because there are a lot of options out there. But setting up your rig is just like finding the perfect spot, it takes some effort and lots of hours of trial and error.

Tight lines,

-OTF