NEED THE SKINNY ON SHOCK LEADERS. - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Tackle Shop Product testing. Terminal tackle and gear forum. This forum is here to help the new and experienced angler in making good decision's when purchasing new gear. Talk about rods, reels, lures etc. here. List tackle or gear that you have experience with so that we may encourage others to try. Index of tackle dealers.

Old 03-03-2005, 04:01 AM

Default NEED THE SKINNY ON SHOCK LEADERS.

From what I have read a shock leader length should be the lenght of your rod plus 5 turns of your reel. if this is so doesn't it casue a problem when you recycle the joing not of your main line and leader line through your spool guide on a spinning reel. I am new to saltwater fishing and am trying to do the basics right. I was also wonder exactly how my line should be set up. I mean from my hook on up. length from hook to sinker, swivels to use, I mean the whole deal. This is a big change from fresh water and I didn't do a ton of that either. if some one can send me a finished diagram it would be a big help. Any help right now is a big help.

thanks
Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2005, 05:20 PM

First off...what kind of fishing are you doing??

For casting you don't want a leader thats affects your casting...like 4'...make sure its FLUOROCARBON, its worth the price...

If you're trolling you want a longer leader...with mono , try 5' or 7' of fluorocarbon...if you're trolling with something that has no stretch, like wire or braid, try 10' to 20' of fluorocarbon...the stretch in the leader is crucial...

The basic set up for casting is...main line to a ball bearing swivel to a fluorocarbon leader...try a Palomar knot.

Trolling...main line to ball bearing swivel to 10' to 20' of fluorocarbon...
Old 03-03-2005, 07:57 PM

A very simple starting point BillyB is https://stripers247.com/Catchingastripedbass.htm

I will look for a picture of a rig. Its actually very simple. Thread the standing line (line off the spool) through an egg sinker or a plastic sinker slide with a 3 ounce sinker attached. Tie on a barrell swivel rated for 100 pounds. Then tie on a snelled 6/0 or 7/0 hook that has a 24 to 36 inch heavier mono or flouro leader to the other end of the swivel. Put on a bunker chunk or a clam belly and drop her in da wata.

I only use a shock leader if Im throwing more than 4 ounces of weight or I need extra casting distance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2005, 08:08 PM

Default bunker?

jim what is the best part of the bunker to use? should i use the head or just do up strips?
Old 03-09-2005, 08:51 PM

Stripers love the heads...looks like a bluefish chopped it up...
Old 03-09-2005, 09:19 PM

My favorite piece besides the head and the piece with the heart in it is the 2 inch chunk just above the tail. It stays on the hook and sails a ways. ( I cut the tail fin away.) I love the heads but the stripers have to be bigger to gobble them. 8) I never throw away the heads. If theres a school of big ones I go all heads. Most of the time I will fillet the middle chunks for aerodynamic reasons. On a boat I just use big 3 inch chunks and heads. Around slack water I just use the heads from the surf.