Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Herring Run

Tags
herring run
4K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  mvello16 
#1 ·
anyone know if the herring are running through the charles river, mystic river or merrimac. Planning on going for some bass chansing em on mon.

#7 ·
I would have to think you would need a license, to fish at the dam. Maybe anywhere above the locks. I am not sure. But, I would be on the safe side.

Many years ago I used to go over there at lunch. On day I saw a shadow beneath a log that was below the dam at the ladder. With a fly from my car, a stick from the woods, and about 6 pieces of line tied together from the trees, I landed a nice 2 1/2 lb smally.

I had forgotten about that. Thanks for reminding me.

#11 ·
thats hilarious, i become a member of this website to see where the stripers are, and i find people who fish from the same beach as i do...:eek:fftopic:

anyways, i fish mostly just below the dam in watertown, between the dam and the bridge, on the newton side. been down every day or two looking for any sign. havent seen crap. found a nice school of shiners up by the dam, saw two yellow perch. other than that the waters still a little cold.

buddy down on the cape says they're seeing some schoolies starting, i think we've got a couple weeks before its worth hitting the river...

oh well, back to my largemouth spots to slaughter them until the stripers hit...

...skeeter...

#12 ·
Largemouth? In the Charles? Next you'll have tales of Carp as big as Spaniels, or Blue Catfish! Welcome aboard.

It is still early I would think for stripers up in the area we are discussing. But early reports indicate it is not un-plausible, for shorts. I am not sure how active the locks are, to let them through right now.

I would say go fishing, and see what you find.

#15 ·
haha always lookin for people to fish with...can never have to many people to make excuses up to go fishing with!

no, i wasnt largemouth fishing in the charles. i've got a couple lakes and ponds spread out in newton and needham that i'm basically the only one who fishes them, that hold some pretty nice bass. caught a couple nice chain pickerel too (which being originally from new york is a WONDERFUL suprise!) did catch a 12 pound carp in one of them last week though, well, shouldn't say caught, more like i let my lure go too far down, he swam past, and i caught him by the tail! oh well, fowl hooked or not, he made it in the boat.

well i'll keep you guys updated as to what i find down at the watertown dam. i check every couple days. we'll see what happens.

good fishing!

...skeeter...

#16 ·
hey skeeter do u fish crystal lake? good size bass in there and stalked with trout. where do u fish? i was out yesterday with my cousin in natick and caught about 15 fish each. the biggest one was an 8lb largemouth. he was huge havnt seen a fish that big in years

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.