shock leaders - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:57 PM
Striper Hunter

Default shock leaders

I went to my favorite tackle store to get some 50#mono for a shock leader on my surf gear. 11' rod i use about 16' tied to my running line ,wrapped around the reel 3 times. counterman tells me just to use 3'-4' of clear mono or clear floro carbon on my running line. Because i'm using Hi vis yellow line.I went with the floro carbon.Is this new set up considered a shock leader.I like his idea better because i can get rid of the long shock leader. what do you think.
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2014, 08:13 PM
First Mate

Default Re: shock leaders

I use about 30 inches for my leader. I used 50lb mono last season with no problems. This season I picked up some 40lb flouro.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:31 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Npike View Post
I use about 30 inches for my leader. I used 50lb mono last season with no problems. This season I picked up some 40lb flouro.
Npike, do you use weight and bait with that set up. Some times at assateauge i cast 6-8 oz with bait when it's rough. or do use the leader only for plugs. thank's.
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2014, 09:44 PM
First Mate

For bait fishing. I use a fish finder rig or a double drop loop rig. For the fish finder I attach the sinker slide to the braid (main line) and tie on a snap swivel.
Sea Strikers Quik Slides are nice because you can put them on and remove them with out cutting your line.

Then I attach my fishing rig. I make my own. Hook on one end, peg bobber and a Spro Power swivel on the other end. These rigs are 30 to 36 inches long.

For the drop loop rig. I'll tie up the drop loops and tie a duo-loc snap on one end and a Spro Power Swivel on the other. These rigs are 36 to 48 inches long depending on where I'm fishing.

I'm mostly plug but for chunking this works for me.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:58 AM
Striper Hunter

Thank's for the help.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:21 PM
First Mate

I hope it made sense. It is easier for me to show than type. Good luck this season.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:06 PM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter12 View Post
I went to my favorite tackle store to get some 50#mono for a shock leader on my surf gear. 11' rod i use about 16' tied to my running line ,wrapped around the reel 3 times.
This is a shock leader. It's purpose is to absorb the "shock" of the initial cast as the spool of a conventional/baitcast reel spins up to speed for the cast. Using a shock leader enables you to use lighter main line for longer casting & more pack on your spool. But the lighter line may likely snap on the cast. I use Avet Raptor with 20# yellow spectra and 40# fluoro shock leader. I've never actually measured the length of my leader I simply tie and wind it on. But, like you several wraps around the reel. What weight line for shock leader (IMHO) has a lot to do with the weight of lure you're heaving and/or, exactlt how hard (far) you are attempting to wing that thing. The heaviest I cast is 1.5 ozs and a 40# leader is more than adequate for that. I've never had the need for a shock leader on a spinning reel as the line just spools off freely.

I recently ran across this knot on youtube and have been using it for my shock leader connection.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4R3_...HLNaBcBlnHfRJw

Quote:
counterman tells me just to use 3'-4' of clear mono or clear floro carbon on my running line. Because i'm using Hi vis yellow line.I went with the floro carbon.Is this new set up considered a shock leader.I like his idea better because i can get rid of the long shock leader. what do you think.
That's simply a leader. Which is a great idea in hi-vis waters, especially with yellow braid. In darker, murky water many feel a fluoro/mono leader is unnecessary. I prefer grabbing ahold of mono over braid...