Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Southern Maine Update Anyone?

5K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  StriperHyper 
#1 ·
Hello fella's, been off for a long time but still fishing. Mostly stripers in the river and macks as far south as Rockland, but,,,As of tonight I find myself in a room on us 1 in scarborough with my gear ready and willing. Ive been hearing that this is a good time to fish southern Maine so here I am. So lemme have it guys and dont tell me they left cause i'll be heart broken ( and probably wont believe it) . also , is Mr. stryperhyper Will still kickin around?

#2 ·
Hit Higgins at 1st light, dead low tide. one bite, I dont believe the fish knew i was trying to hook him. Other than that I think the fish were moving out from my casting range as I saw a few swirls. c'mon guys, someone has to have an opinion. i'm not asking for spotburns, just getting a sense of direction.

#3 ·
PinePoint , found a nice backwash causing turbulence that produced 3 fish in the slot, last 3 hours of incoming on sandworms. Found steep surf on same tide that produced 2 fish on topwater. Graveyard, last 2 hours of outgoing. produced 2 more slot fish on sandworms and clams. Lost a fish that was definately in the high 30's on clams. I did not see any action on macks today ,same with everyone else nearby. today was a killer topwater day for some. All schoolies until I found the fast water. lots of people who fished the incoming down by Ellis and OOB with no results. I'm Going to assume the lack of response to all this mean't you were all fishing. All in all I was very happy to have a successful day in southern , Me. Made some awesome new fishin buddies. I've never fished for stripers outside of the rivers. Very impressed with the results since I was basically going in blind. Goes to show the power of the search button. My waders got a workout and I didnt get thrashed. Does this make me a surf newbie now?

#5 ·
I agree with all the above reports. I fish from Camp Ellis through OOB and down to Pine Point (mostly) and have seen the same pattern. Plenty of fish around in the 14-18" range with a few small slot fish thrown in the mix. If ya fish long enough and on the right tide ya may see a couple larger fish (30 and above category) but they seem to be few and far between. Got a call last night that a buddy of mine was hammering fish in the 30+" class off a beach somewhere in Scarborough. Still plenty of fish around and with the abundance of juveniles, I expect there to be fish around at least through this month if not into November.

#6 ·
Quick update. Fished many days these last three weeks including weekends and only caught two, but hooked a few (yeah, came off at the shore). Last five days have been skunked. Fishing between Cape Elizabeth and Saco.

I'm wondering if I'm missing the tide or fishing the wrong times lately. What have been the better tides for those of you catching?:flyfish:

#7 ·
Consider yourself a surfcaster...most spend a lot of time hunting for linesides with no results. Sounds like you did some research and it paid off. I do alot of different types of fishing, and surfcasting for Stripers is by far my favorite, even if I'm getting thrashed by Nor'easters! Recently, I've been leaving the bait at the shops and fishing plugs, tins and other lures...it has quadrepled my catch rate.

:color:

#8 ·
Hey Ken,
I see you are from NY. I'm originally from Bklyn and fished the Bight mostly when I was still down there.

I definitely consider myself a surfcaster and have been at it over thirty years. I moved out to Colorado for a many years and but moved back to Maine over a year ago. The fishing has definitely not been as good as when I left.

I've got so many more skunked days since I've been back than I've ever had in the past in Maine, NY, and Florida combined.

I fish mostly plugs and have been using more soft baits lately. For the past two weeks; however, I've fished one rod with bait and flipping plugs with another, but still have been skunked.

I'm off to try again today, though, of course. :smiley17e:

#11 ·
Just got back from Disney, Sea World and golf with the Ole Man. What a blast...no fishing. I've purchased bait in Brooklyn at Bernie's, and I can see Coney Island where I fish from Breezy Point. Mostly Blues, a few Stripers and made memories. I must say, I think like stryperhyper said, you can probably find Stripers up there into November. Try bait as close to structure as possible...like rock bads. check the area out at low tide and the area should give fish cover and current breaks. put the lures right over the rocks. My next fishing trip will be for Steelies at the Salmon River, unless I talk a friend or 2, and my wife into trying for Stripers before that.

And all these funny little guys are my daughters handy work. I like the one of me flyfishing...and I just had a bday too.
:bunny::sign4::sign4::flyfish:love5.gif:color::icon_idea:confused.gif:partysmilie:birthday.gif:herz:
:GrayWingSmiley:

#12 ·
Fished at Camp Ellis past three days. Plenty of mackerel the first day, then one big one yesterday, and nothing today. First day had two big swirls that hit my popper, but missed, and one that stole my live-lined mackerel. So, there is still something big enough out there, and I'm assuming stripers.

May try again tomorrow, but have to see if the wife lets me out.:flyfish:

#14 ·
Thanks Stripersurg. I guess I just don't have and haven't been spending the necessary amount of time out there consistently. It's been very hit or miss for me this whole season.
I wished I had the chance to head out there today before the actual storm. Oh well, maybe something will still be left after the storm passes.
:flyfish:

#15 ·
Tried my hand Saturday night down to Pine Point under near-perfect conditions. Talk about the calm before the storm, crystal clear, flat-calm water, temps in the low 50's, no wind whatsoever, no signs of bait but still plenty of crabs around. We didn't see much action save for a quick chew and screw on my buddies pole that stole half his worm. We took a ride to the docks at the Co Op after and there were a fair amount of small macks splashing around but nothing chasing them. I think that's probably my last hoorah for the season, maybe one more after the storm passes through.Should be fish around for another week or two but as previously stated, here one tide, gone the next. . . . . . .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.