Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

darters

Tags
darters
3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  BACKBAYJ 
#1 ·
hi everyone i have a question on what are the prober techniques and conditions on how to use a darter.i fish the Smithtown bay and porpoise channel. i purchased a tattoos 3oz darter in yellow last year. i know that you are suppose to dig it in and jerk the rod tip. i am haveing problems getting it to stay down. what am i doing wrong i gave up on it last year want to learn how to use it. when fishing it in a current do you cast up current, down current, or straight out? Can it be fished out of current in open water in heavy surf or is there a better lure to use when the surf is rough and dirty? do you use the same technique when useing it in current or open water? is yellow a good color to use at night. if anyone knows of any articles on the subject please let me know.
:thu:

#2 ·
Jerk the rod tip ?? Where'd you get that from?

Darters are all about the current you're tossing them into.
Assuming the current is running from left to right,
Cast to 10:00,
Give a pull and reel quickly to dig the darter an get the rod tip pointing almost straight at it.
Reel just fast enough to keep it dug in, the current and the natural action of the lure will make it do it's thing.
I've had quite a bit of luck lifting the rod tip up to 45 degrees as the lure hits the 2:00 position.
If that basic method isn't working, vary it up by giving a sweeping pull to the side, giving the it the odd fast turn of the reel......................
Jerking the rod tip might work but I'd try the other methods first.

#3 ·
If your just starting to use darters i wouldn't go with wood. You got the color right but pick up a Super Strike Plastic Darter. They cast better and you won't have problems getting it to dig down. Once you learn to work them you can go back to wood, but you won't. If i'm fishimg rough surf i always go with bucktails!thumbsup.gif

#4 ·
Jerk the rod tip ?? Where'd you get that from?

Darters are all about the current you're tossing them into.
Assuming the current is running from left to right,
Cast to 10:00,
Give a pull and reel quickly to dig the darter an get the rod tip pointing almost straight at it.
Reel just fast enough to keep it dug in, the current and the natural action of the lure will make it do it's thing.
I've had quite a bit of luck lifting the rod tip up to 45 degrees as the lure hits the 2:00 position.
If that basic method isn't working, vary it up by giving a sweeping pull to the side, giving the it the odd fast turn of the reel......................
Jerking the rod tip might work but I'd try the other methods first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.