Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

plug tools... paint and lacquer

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  rclark12 
#1 ·
to get the through wire hole straight through do i need a drill press?
and what size drill bits and other tools do i need ?
i bought an air brush and i like the cretex paints.. but they have two different paints does acrylic work in the air brush too or do i use the other type of their paint?:dizzy:

and can i brush a coat of envirotex on ,spray the plug with a coat or two of white spray lacquer, paint with some sort of air brush and then more envirotex?

which point would i add some glitter?

THANKS IN ADVANCE I APRECIATE THE HELP!!!!!!!!!!thumbsup.gif

#3 ·
to get the through wire hole straight through do i need a drill press?
and what size drill bits and other tools do i need ?
i bought an air brush and i like the cretex paints.. but they have two different paints does acrylic work in the air brush too or do i use the other type of their paint?:dizzy:

and can i brush a coat of envirotex on ,spray the plug with a coat or two of white spray lacquer, paint with some sort of air brush and then more envirotex?

which point would i add some glitter?

THANKS IN ADVANCE I APRECIATE THE HELP!!!!!!!!!!thumbsup.gif
Answer to fisrst question... no... you can drill them with a hand drill but it can be difficult.... easiest way by far is to use a drill chuck in your lathe...

next would be a drill press....

a 1/8 drill bit works well but a 9/64 aircraft extension drill flexes far less and does a better job, ( purchase from McMaster Carr)..

If you look in the Building a Danny style swimmer thread, I believe I have a series of pictures on through drilling both with the lathe and with a drill press.... I also recently posted a revisted plug building 101.. read it.. it covers alot...

Almost any paint can be sprayed through an air brush, including Lacquers and enamels, water based acrylics are just alot eaiser and safer to use.. and clean up is a snap...

as far as glitter goes, unless you want every plug in the batch to have glitter in it, use a scratch coat, such as envirotex acrylic spray or any other acrylic spray sold at the local hobby shop... be warned these spraays stink and contain acetone that can smudge the paint, they need to be sprayed in an open enviroment away from fire and flame.... I no longer use spray acrylic sprays for my scratch coat and use clear lacquer to coat my plugs ( all painted with water base acrylics) prior to applying my epoxy finish..

#4 ·
Thanks alot guys i think im all set to start making them.. strong determination to get good at it too nothing better to do... i tie alot of flies but don't fly fish my lil bro uses them so heres realy some thin for me... thanks again every one:thu::a_goodjob:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.