Boating Course - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Boaters Forum > Boat repair issues & Shop Maintenance
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Boat repair issues & Shop Maintenance Tips and discussion on Boat parts/boat maintenance.

Old 02-18-2006, 05:04 PM

Default Boating Course

The Fisherman Magazine writes-

" Lost in all of the discussion about striped bass regulations during former Governor Richard Codey's final days in office was a new law affecting all New Jersey boaters. Upon A stroke of Codey's pen on January 9, Boating Safety education in the State of New Jersey officially becomes Law.

If you Are between the ages of 28 and 37, you are now required to show proof that you've taken a boating course in the state Of NJ by the time June rolls around. If you are 38 or older, your time will come starting in 2007.

Why this didn't make headlines in all of the Jersey shore newspapers starting on January 10? I don't know-but for sure, the constant back and forth about two stripers at 28 inches sure generated a lot more publicity throughout the outdoor press. I'm happy the bass regs now reflect the majority of anglers who spoke up, particularly boating anglers- but lets move on. Understand that summer boating and fishing is about to change, and as of June 1, if you haven't taken a boating education course in NJ, you might want to consider surfcasting!

" out of state" boaters 18 years of age and older who operate a power vessel for less than 90 days a year in NJ do not have to take a NJ boat safety course-but only if they've taken a similar education course somewhere else. If you are a Pennsylvania, Delaware or New York fisherman out on NJ's waterways, you are not exempt from this law-you must be able to present proof of similar education from NASBLA(National Association of State Boating Law Administrators), the Coast Guard, or another state.

Perhaps it is for Fisherman readers who no doubt have salt in their veins and have spent a great deal of time on the water. But for the hundreds of boaters I see out there every summer who I'd venture to guess have never stood at the helm of a boat before, I say it's about time. For those of us who find a sunny Saturday afternoon in July on NJ's ICW about as frightening as the thought of bicycling along the dotted line of the south bound NJ Turnpike, good times indeed."

I SAY AMEN TO THAT!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2006, 08:02 AM

I like the idea. I'm just not sure it will dramatically reduce the issues you mention on New Jersey's ICW. My guess is that the people you refer to aren't ignorant of boating regs, right of ways, and the meaning of navigational markers. They just lack courtesy and common sense. Basically they're a$$holes.

How would law enforcement know you've taken a course? I hate to keep paperwork on my boat. Always seems to get wet or lost. Good thing about the boat registration is that I get a new one every year. If you need to maintain proof on your boat, that documentation must be kept safe and intact for years. I would like to see it eventually tied to boat registration. In other words, you can't register your boat without proof of taking the course.

How does this law relate to out of state boaters who may venture within 3 miles of the Jersey shore say on their way from Maine to Florida? I assume that if you're more than 3 miles off-shore, they have no jurisdiction and can't enforce this law.

Many boaters have taken similar courses but just don'tkeep proof on their boats.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:37 AM

I think its a step in the right direction, but I don't know if any regulations will help. Like you said, its basically assholes with a lack of courtesy, and I think on the weekends 90% are drunk! Its kind of like when they required a course for jet skiers, I don't think it helped a bit.