cast net beginner - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop > Tackle Evaluation & Product review
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Tackle Evaluation & Product review Tackle listings and product review Forum

Old 01-22-2006, 01:44 PM

Default cast net beginner

Hi, First i would like to say, VERY nice web site guys & Hi to everyone here. Second, Just passed in Pa, lake arthur, we are allowed cast nets to take gizzard shad & alwife for bait.( up to 8 inches) with no smaller than 3/8 inch mesh. I was told to start with a net no bigger than 6 ft. radius because i never had one. Would that be true ? Is it that hard to learn with a bigger net ? Also what is the pro's & con's of blue versus white mono ? Was thinking about getting a 6 ft Fitec SS (super spreader ) 1000 but didn't know about the mono color. Can you help me out on this ? Thanks, Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2006, 01:49 PM

Yes, Big, big difference between throwing a large net vs. a small net, smaller nets are much easier.
As for the color, I wouldn't think there's a difference. The main differences between nets are (besides diameter) the size of the mesh and the amount of weight on the bottom. Stiffness of the material also plays a role, the more expensive nets tend to be much softer then the cheaper hard mono nets.

Here are a pair of pretty good videos to watch

http://www.ausfish.com.au/castnet/
Old 01-22-2006, 01:51 PM

Also i should say , if anyone wants to use a cast net at lake arthur a permit is required at a cost of $10 . I sure dont want anyone getting fined without the permit. Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2006, 02:03 PM

Thanks Sudsy , So do you or anybody else know if the fitec super spreader is any good ? or do you recomend a net ? and i guess a 6 ft. would be the biggest i should get ? or is that too big ? Thanks , Bob
Old 01-22-2006, 02:12 PM

Hi crouch 38
First let me say welcome to the board.

I dont know about the fitec but i was looking for the cast net sticky I had and cant seem to find it., but heres a reply to someone else after a little research on nets. Its worth a look to get an idea of whats available.

"The nets sell from $20 to $100 bucks at Memphis Nets
and also You can check out Cast nets.com
and some high quality small bait nets from
Calusa Cast nets
You can also check out the how to throw a cast net video in the video section. Video Topic
Calusa cast nets