Trolling in the Rip - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Boaters Forum > Trolling for Stripers
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Trolling for Stripers How tos - instruction - Downriggers Planer boards - gear and other techniques and tips

Old 10-02-2005, 09:36 AM

Default Trolling in the Rip

I'm new to trolling and haven't been successful so far, but I'm catching all the fluke I want and bluefish. Stripers are another matter. Yes, I'm obsessed, I'll admit it. I'm out on Cape Cod and the Islands and the water here varies so much. I've got my trolling speed down, but the choice of lures has not been successful thus far. I'm using red tubes with a matching red pork rind, hitting the rips two hours after high tide. No fish yet, but I'm determined. Any ideas? Many thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2005, 01:20 PM

I'm not sure of the types of rips you're writing about, but here in RI for instance, the rips of Block Island are fished best by drifting over the structure and bouncing an offering along the bottom or vertical jigging. Trolling is generally best for bluefish in those areas.

If you are trolling a tube, it might be better tipped with seaworm instead of porkrind.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:06 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

I only have first hand knowledge of Wasque and the Sow and pigs,both can be trolled with tube and worm or jigs, standard is 300' of Monel wire at least 50 lb test 60 is better, and as Roger stated use a worm on the tube, save the pork for the jig... The Sow and pigs can be trolled at night with large swimming plugs, like Stan gibbs, Danny's,Pikie or goo-goo eyes, but this is best left for those that know the reef and all it's Quirks... both places are dangerous during the day, but deadly at night....

Bunker,scup, herring and eels can also be 3 wayed and drifted over the rip as well...

Tight lines
Roc
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2005, 09:34 AM

Roccus is right. Sow & Pigs are best left alone if you don't know them. My Godfather grew up on Cuttyhunk and he is one of two people I would ever go there with at night. Even during the day it can be a scarey place.

I would add that T&W are best trolled with the current as slow as possible.

If you are trying Middle Ground know that it has been dead for the last few days. I know of nobody catching Stripers there which is unusual.
Old 10-03-2005, 05:50 PM

Default Trolling in the Rip

Thanks Guys! I appreciate the tips. Moreover, you're right on with the danger of submerged hazards out at Devil's Bridge. Man, you take your life into your hands if you don't know what you're doing. Middle Ground HAS been dead and I've only caught 2 keepers there after a half dozen trips out there. I'll have to explore more about vertical jigging. What do you use there? A parachute rig or a bucktail?
Old 10-03-2005, 08:22 PM
Veteran

Have you tried Robinson's Hole ,in between the islands. Its good this time of year Sometimes you'll see big schools of birds working. Try both sides. Should get Blues and Bass.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:46 AM

Default Re: Trolling in the Rip

Code:

Jim:
Merry Christmas! Man, this one was 45 pounds, 45 inches, and the story behind it was unreal. Almost Bigger than my bride!Don in CT
Hey Donks - got your picture and note.

Well done Happy new year.