New to striper, fish off rocks on Jersey shore - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > New Jersey
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

New Jersey Regional discussion, news and reports for striped bass fishing in New Jersey

Old 07-12-2005, 03:05 PM

Default New to striper, fish off rocks on Jersey shore

Hello

I am just getting into striper fishing. I fish off of rocks in South Jersey, but I'm sure I am missing some important know-how.

I just bought a Tsunami TS Talkin Popper. Has anyone ever tried it, and is it good for striper fishing?

What are your favorite lures when fishing near rocks?

Any advice you can offer would be appreciated!

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2005, 05:36 PM
First Mate

welcome...im sure someone will chime in from ur area...
Old 07-12-2005, 07:22 PM

Hi Mike.

Im sure that popper will work great when the fish are busting the surface. i personally would use the sardine/bunker pattern color or the electro pearl ones.
I would highly recommend a book written by capt Jim freda and sold through amazon.com called fishing the New jersey coast. It is a wealth of info on what, when, where, and how along the Coast. Including the jetty or beach head you are fishing and what works best there. If your fishing a jetty fish the tip that way you have 180 degrees to plug. Bucktails with a fins trailer work great. A search of striped bass in amazon brings up 436 books. Put in the search term Jim Freda. Striper Fishing Books at Amazon.com

It would also be wise to invest in a pair of corkers for the slippery rocks. You can easily break your neck. I seen it happen to a guy and he had to be medivacked out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2005, 08:13 PM

Thanks guys! Jim, I will definately look into that book.

I have the peacock colored talkin popper.. Is there a rule of thumb for color choices, or are you speaking from experience? I've also purchased the Atom Striper Swiper tonight, which I can't wait to test out. =)
Old 07-12-2005, 08:34 PM

I dont have a ton of experience with artificials Mike Ive always been a bait chunker. I clown around with artificials. Ive caught fish on top water, swimming plugs and wood plugs the past two seasons but this past spring mostly blue fish. I do like to troll bunker spoons when Im out on a boat.

There is a rule of thumb to using artificials. What are the bass actively feeding on?
# 1. Match the hatch. Whatever bait fish that have spawned and grown up a tad will leave the estuaries and run down the coast. in the fall in NJ it is a huge mullet and peanut bunker runs. and rule #2. is more of a generic guide to what works .
Popping plugs or surface lures are most effective during low light conditions such as dawn or dusk.
Metal lures, such as Kastmasters or Hopkins are best during bright sunlight conditions.
Swimming lures, both shallow swimmers and deep divers work best during the day when fish are less likely to come to the surface to feed and at night when they are close to the bottom and less active.
Bucktail Jigs and eel lures like the sluggo and tube and worm take fish during both day and night. These should be worked along the bottom at an extremely slow retrieve even better when a piece of pork rind or squid strip is added to the hook.
Old 07-14-2005, 04:29 PM

Default on top of Korkers

Roccus, what would you say is the most important for fishing on rock?
Old 07-14-2005, 06:01 PM

I'm probably going to be going to that spot tonight. High tide is at 2:47 AM. As far as lures go, all I really have for "stripers" are the TS talkin popper and the Atom Striper Swiper. I should probably get a more versatile selection before going soley for stripers.

BTW. I am using 20 lb test.. too small?
Old 07-14-2005, 06:15 PM

Mikel if your using soley artificials bring some soft plastic swimmers like the storm wileyes found in walmart or the tackle shop.
Some bucktails with a finS or sluggo as trailers or a some sort of jig type eel rig. 20 pound test is good. But mono gets chewed up around rocks. especially big ones. You need good leaders or braid for rocks. i like to use mono everywhere though. except gicantic car like boulders.
Old 07-14-2005, 06:20 PM

Well I have to go to the store tonight. It will be dark, and I may sleep over and fish the the afternoon.

For night fishing, what 2 lures/jigs (anything) would you reccomend I purchase, and what two for day. I have plugs, but you say they are pretty much for low light.

(If you can give the brand, color and size, I would really appreciate it as I'm not really up to par with all of the terminology).
Old 07-14-2005, 06:53 PM

Throw your wighted jig towards the shore and let it drift out with the waves when it catches up to you reel it in.
A bucktail jigs in white like the like spros or smiling bills (gamakatsu spro)
1 ounce Gibbs polaris proppa popper
the atom striper swiper and atom proppa
4 inch soft shad bodies. Storm wildeyes.

But I like also like to chunk bait into these holes. Bunka

By definition a jetty is any long artificial structure built perpendicular to the coast to protect the openings of inlets or harbors A groin is a short artificial structure built perpendicular to the shoreline in an effort to control beach erosion by trapping sediments caried by longshore currents. It is common practice to refer to all the rock structures as jettys even though the usage may be technically incorrect. Many of the jettys in the state of New jersey have been constructed so that at mean high tide they are still 2 feet above sea level and not submerged. So even at high tide they are fishable. The exception would be a storm. You will need to attack the jetty as a fisherman. Work both sides until you know where the deeper holes and ambush points are. The tip of a jetty is where the biggest fish are located. most of the time. Look for outcroppings or rocks that jut out. They usually extend outward below where you dont see them. There are rips formed around the jetty as water is redirected moving laterally along the beach. these ruts are good spots for stripers to lurk in ambush.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:18 PM

Thanks for the reply, I'll pick those ip tonight. The weird thing about this place is that there really aren't any waves crashing against the rocks, the water line just get's higher.. and it hardly extends out. There is that point that is shown in the picture, but that's about it. There used to be an actual jetti here in Wildwood that extened off of the beach, but is was removed.. i guess for safty reasons. :shrug:

So would the Storm Wildeyes and gamakatsu spro be suitable for night fishing?
Old 07-14-2005, 10:50 PM

What remains is probably a concrete bulkhead. Built to protect the beachfront from erosion. Jettys were first built by the army corps of engineers so that they would offer protection from erosion but they found out that they actually cause more, as the current transports sand along the beach the jetty acts as a barrier, trapping sand on the current side. This was the initial purpose of the jetty.It was hoped that this sand would build up and fill in the beach behind the jetty. What happens is that the opposite side has no sand deposited and a deep hole develops at the tip of the jetty.
Two resources you should check if you fish New Jersey. Check out New Jersey scuba and have a look at the artificial reefs. And # 2 Jim fredas fishing the new jersey coast.

This bulkhead is different structure wise than a jetty but it most likely has break water stones and boulders laid down in them. structure like this I like to use bunker heads as bait and clams after a storm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel
So would the Storm Wildeyes and gamakatsu spro be suitable for night fishing?
if there are fish around both of those lures will produce at night. If the fish arent there nothing will produce.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:27 AM

Jim, your probably right about why the jetty/groin was removed. I doubt it was removed for safety purposes. Jersey pioneered the use of these man-made structures in an attempt to stabilize beach erosion and other states followed suit. Problem was their premise was almost all wrong. Unfortueately, the signs that it actually did the opposite of what was intended didn't become evident until after other states implimented "New Jerseyization".

Just one point to clarify. Jettys and groins are man-made structures that run perpendicular to the shore. Groins and jettys were built intending to inhibbit longtitudenal sand migration primarily caused by the angle of wave activity. Jettys and groins are differenciated in that jettys are inlet structures, supposedly designed to keep a channel open, and groins are beach structures, targeting beach erosion.

It's kind of ironic that the Army corp of engineers, that preformed the original eroneous studies on sand migration, has recently tried to get out of "sand nourishment" buisness but, but hometown congressmen keep voting more money for these projects every year.

From what I can makeout of the aerial photo, those structures are indeed bulkheads(as you correctly termed them, although there may be a groin at the bottom of that second photo. Bulkheads (abutt the shore holding "upland" inplace), seawalls (free-standing structures that provide protection against direct wave attack), and Revetments (diminish wave energy through runup) all run parallel to the shore (unless the shore has been modified by man).
Old 07-15-2005, 10:13 AM

Another great post guys. :wtg: You learn something everyday.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:36 PM

jbrotz24, the whole situation created by man's intention to control mother nature, in this case trying to direct where man wants the sand to go and not go, has fasinated me for years. I spent the better part of 4 years running up and down the Jersey shore measuring sand acculations and depletions. I was amazed at how quickly certain areas changed as a result of mans misdirected attempts to control these things.

The Army corp of engineers did their thing close to where we have our beach house in Maine by placing a jetty on the wrong side of the Saco River. They tried to correct their mistake by build a longer jetty on the correct side. Well it sort of worked in that we don't have to dredge the channel as often, but Camp Ellis, a small fishing village on the wrong side of the original jetty, is rapidly loosing land do to erosion caused by that first jetty.

Besides loosing 8 houses over the last 20 years, there is a beach in Camp Ellis as well. So people who want to maintain the beach don't want to build a bulkhead because they don't want to climb over rock to get from the beach to the water. The don't want a sea wall because that will effect the beautiful waves that everybody likes to look at and body surf. So they've put in a revetment. However it's basically a comprimise in that it does deminish the hieght and beauty of the waves somewhat while slowing the process of erosion. If this is the way it's gonna be left, Camp Ellis will be gone in the blink of a geologycle eye.

Since I don't live in Camp Ellis, I remain an attentive bystander. However, if they intend to do somthing that could effect my beach, I'll be all over them like mapple syrup on pancakes. I want to be able to pass the beach house we have on to many generations.