Testing and tuning plugs - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 09-28-2009, 06:15 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Testing and tuning plugs

I know that freshwater and saltwater have different density. Does it matter when checking and tuning my wood plugs? It would be real convienient for me to test my plugs in the backyard pond. Will it make a difference?

Thanks
Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2009, 10:33 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Default Re: Testing and tuning plugs

As you may or may not know, not all plugs are created equal... some are made for fast water, some are made to swim deep, some are made to swim on top, some are made to dart and dive... primary tuning can be done in a fresh water pond, this is good to get a feel of the plugs action and get familiar with how it reacts under different retrieves... but the final tuning should always be done under the conditions you plan to fish under in order to get the maximum out of your plug....
Old 09-29-2009, 03:03 PM

The biggest issues are with topwater plugs, pencils, spooks,and poppers. They need to sit just right in the water to develop the proper action.
If you make your adjustments in freshwater, the odds of the plug working to it's full potential in salt are slim to none.

Easy way to deal with that:
Stop at your local aquarium supply/pet shop and get an inexpensive hygrometer, shouldn't cost any more than $10.
Fill a pot or bucket with tapwater and add cheap kosher salt until it reaches the specific gravity of seawater - which is 1.25 at about 75 to 80 degrees.
Now your plugs in progress will float exactly the same as they will in actual fishing conditions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2009, 05:44 PM
Striper Hunter

Thanks guys. As always the info here is a great help.

Tom