Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

to the muskie fisherman

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Roccus 
#1 ·
to any one who muskie fishes with wooden lures,, how do you rig them? i dont want to loose any lures. Also would colors like pearch patterns and sucker patterns be my best option/
Thanks in advance guys

#2 ·
It is inevitable that when targeting toothy fish, especially apex predators like Musky, no matter what you do, plugs will get lost.
Short wire leaders in the 50 lb range will help. In my experience, it's the run to structure that most often causes the snap off.
Plugs in natural food source patterns always work best. For Pike and Musky, Yellow perch, white Perch, and Sucker schemes will produce. Red fin shiner imitators are also a good choice. I remember an old timer that used to travel all the sportsman's shows in the winter, went by the name Musky Man, he made a huge wooden plug, jointed with a rubber tail fin. All you did was hammer jerk the rod tip and the plug would dive and cause the tail to slap the surface with a huge splash. He made them in 2 colors, Yellow Perch, and Sucker.
I wish I had bought a few back then, I'd love to try them out on Stripers in a pogy paint scheme.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.